PDA

View Full Version : Any heenan reports?

SalmoClarki
09-23-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm heading up there next weekend and was wondering if anyone has some current lake conditions. I haven't seen many reports so far this season. Hopefully this cooler weather with get things going. I'll be fly-fishing and throwing metal from the bank and float tube. Thanks, SJ

Captain Compassion
09-23-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm heading up there next weekend and was wondering if anyone has some current lake conditions. I haven't seen many reports so far this season. Hopefully this cooler weather with get things going. I'll be fly-fishing and throwing metal from the bank and float tube. Thanks, SJ

I second the request. I'm looking to head there on Friday.

CC

BreakofDawn
09-24-2007, 09:30 AM
I talked to a lady at work whos husband went on Saturday. She said they caught a few from a tube but nothing of anysize :(

Denny1969
09-24-2007, 10:53 PM
I fished Heenan two weekends ago, and from what I heard from friends, the conditions are the same. I caught 2 fish in four hours out of my float tube. I was using a wooly bugger on a slow sinking fly line. Most of the fish are swimming around in the upper 4 feet of the water column. If it means anything, my fish were 19" and 21". There are fish well over 24" in the lake.

SJ, since you will be fly fishing out of a float tube, make sure to have two rods rigged up with different line setups. Have one rod rigged up with an intermediate sinking line. Use that as your "bugger" line. Have the other one rigged up with a floating line. Use that as a "nymph" line.

I'm seeing more fly fishers hang nymphs under indicators while fishing lakes. It is a very efficient way to fish lakes. I would have the indicator about 3 feet above the fly. In regards to a fly, go with a generic nymph in a size 14. The generic nymph could be a hare's ear, prince nymph, or a pheasant tail. Any of those should work. If you want to choose a specific bug, more power to you.

Have fun out there.

Denny

ok... back to the fly fishing forum.