PDA

View Full Version : What river/stream up 108 for bow's

JPFX
08-27-2007, 01:38 PM
My buddy and I are heading up hwy 108 this weekend to give river fishing a try. Keep in mind neither of us have ever caught a fish in a river or stream. We have the right gear...were using ultra light rods & reels with 6 lb main line and 4 lb f.c. leader line. I'll be using the dough type power bait stuff for bait. I understand the basics of river fishing (I read a book complete with pictures :)) but would be willing to listen to any of your advice/pointers. Also, if anyone knows a good spot for some beginners, I'd be glad to hear about it. I'll take a PM if you don't want to give your spot to the world. We really didn't want to go any further than let's say Clarks Fork either. Thanks!

zwh
08-27-2007, 01:45 PM
I don't know how low the Middle and South fork are right now. I saw the middle fork (Kennedy meadows area) on Saturday and it seemed low but fishable, but that was looking from the road.

Personally I would suggest the afterbay of Beardsley, haven't fished there in a while though. I also hear that if you walk up the inlet (south fork) of Lyons lake you'll get some good fishing. Might try in Strawberry near the bridge too.

shon42073
08-27-2007, 05:07 PM
First off all never use power bait in those rivers, The planters might like it but the nice wild fish will not touch the stuff, But both planters and wild fish will take nightcrawlers, i highly recomend using nightcrawlers, also since you must drift your offering along the bottom power bait will not last. Best place to fish is the middle fork stanislaus below beardsley resavoir, especially for wild browns and rainbows, other then that i'd stay a night or two near dardenelle and fish the middle fork stan. clark fork, and eagle creek, this area should get alot of planters for the labor day weekend. Any questions just send me an email, i fish this area several times a year.

jvle95
08-27-2007, 08:05 PM
I would go with the Clark Fork just before Kennedy Meadows area. Don't fish at the picnic areas, they are heavily fished. Stop along Clark Fork rd and hike down to the water and look for deeper holes. The fish are there but the water is low so you have to find holes that are not being hit hard by others. I would stick with crawlers and salmon eggs for bait and small spinners for lures. Good luck and enjoy.

Mackattack
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Why not stop at Pinecrest and fish along the bank on your way to the inlet and then fish up the inlet for a while then come back and fish the bank the rest of the way around the lake ?

*Mackattack

Slim
08-27-2007, 08:49 PM
Personally I would suggest the afterbay of Beardsley, haven't fished there in a while though. I also hear that if you walk up the inlet (south fork) of Lyons lake you'll get some good fishing. Might try in Strawberry near the bridge too.

Not with any kind of bait in the Beardsley afterbay you don't. *It's ONLY *lures with barbless hooks....2 fish limit.... 14 inches min size...and no bait !!!!! *

:)

Slim

Slim
08-27-2007, 08:54 PM
*Best place to fish is the middle fork stanislaus below beardsley resavoir, especially for wild browns and rainbows, other then that....

Not with Bait !!! barbless Lures only below Beardsley...
Let me say this... if you drive down to Sand Bar Flat on the Stanislaus river which is a few miles below Beardsley then you can fish with bait till you come up to the US Forest Service Foot bridge... then it changes to special regs from there all the way to Beardsley !!!!

Slim

zwh
08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
Yep.....forgot to mention the special regulations.

JPFX
08-28-2007, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the help guys...I forgot about all the stinking reg's in the rivers! As for Pinecrest, we took the boat there a month or so ago and the fish were doing everything but jumping in the boat. We have been wanting to learn the river ropes for awhile now. It's not as easy as we thought. We were at Twin Lakes a few months back and decided to park the boat and try the nearby stream, which we heard was full of small trout and browns. We fished it for about 3 hours and nothing.

fishing_man
08-28-2007, 07:53 PM
does size matter for the spinners like the panther martain? ihave 1 in PM Salamander Gold in 1/8 was planning on fishing pinecrest and south fork stanislaus river (bridge at at strawberry) also have a rainbow rostertail. which will work better? what about sam=lmon eggs and nightcrawlers how do you fish those?thanks
FM

ratss427
08-28-2007, 08:23 PM
*Best place to fish is the middle fork stanislaus below beardsley resavoir, especially for wild browns and rainbows, other then that....

Not with Bait !!! barbless Lures only below Beardsley...
Let me say this... if you drive down to Sand Bar Flat on the Stanislaus river which is a few miles below Beardsley then you can fish with bait till you come up to the US Forest Service Foot bridge... then it changes to special regs from there all the way to Beardsley !!!!

Slim
and there is some good fishin' to be had if you make the drive down. ;)

Slim
08-28-2007, 09:39 PM
......what about sam=lmon eggs and nightcrawlers how do you fish those?thanks
FM

Most of these small streams up here call for small gear.

As far as nightcrawlers, I would use the mini crawlers and or split a crawler in half. The set up I use to use was: I would tie a 2x long bait hook (size 6 )directly on the line, 4 to 6 lb test line. ( I never liked the hooks with leaders all ready on it.) *Thread the worm so you can't see the hook except the bend and point. Use no weight at all unless it's during spring run off. *Let the worm drift as naturaly as possible through runs, rifts and pools.

The real secret was to be stealthy. Don't just walk up to the edge of the water... But before getting to the edge, keep a low profile, maybe hide behind a rock or brush, and cast into the water while still 10 feet (or so) from the edge.

Another important thing to being stealthy is don't wear bright clothing. I was fishing for a while in waters I knew had fish. Wasn't catching anything. I took off my hat to scratch my head to think about what was the problem. I looked at the hat, it was white....that was the problem, it was like waving a flag over the water and spooking the fish. I put the hat in my pocket and begain to catch many fish that afternoon.

Stealthy makes a big difference.... I was fishin with a friend using the same set up. He wasn't catching anything but I was .. because I had learned to be stealthy...

Good Luck...

Slim

johnbfishin
08-29-2007, 06:18 AM
Stealth does make a big difference. Always fish heading up stream, or if working down stream pass the hole you want to fish and work it from the tail end up. Trout will always hold facing upstream or in the case of a back eddy facing the current. When fishing a large hole you don't have to make that perfect cast into the white water, work the hole in sections until you get into position for the perfect cast into the sweet spot. ;) The bigger fish will usually take over the best feeding lanes though so think like a fish....they want to hold where they have cover and can watch for food coming down stream while expending the least amount of energy.
I get excited when I see small fish sitting in the middle of the pool or in the tail water, to me that means big brother has taken the best spot at the top of the pool.......sometimes that's true. ;) ;D

JPFX
08-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Thanks everyone! That's some good info!