PDA

View Full Version : salmon eggs

fishing_man
08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
how do you float them of thbe bottom without a bobber keep hearing about it but dont know how with sliding sinker setup. thanks
FM

joshc40
08-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Try using a marshmallow with them. I'm not sure if thats what your looking for but I use a marshmallow with pretty much everything and it works fine.

ifish4fun
08-21-2007, 11:51 AM
use a puff ball. you can find it at any fishing supply house. i use them when i fish with roe for Salmon

FresnoJack
08-21-2007, 04:12 PM
how do you float them of thbe bottom without a bobber keep hearing about it but dont know how with sliding sinker setup. thanks
FM

Some old style rigs, some with new materials.

Christmas tree - plant a salmon egg on the hook (or one on each point of a treble). Mold a floating bait like Berkley, Zeke's, etc. to cover the remainder of the hook.

The original "Tree" used Velveeta cheese and salmon eggs. Now though, I can buy trout at the fish counter for less per pound than Velveeta.

A new variation would be to combine real salmon eggs with a Berkley floating salmon egg.

"Shasta Fly" - run a small treble hook all the way through a miniature marshmallow. Slide the marshmallow above the hook. Put a salmon egg on each of the points of the treble. Slide the marshmallow back down, molding it above the eggs.

Use a clear plastic bubble like those from Rainbow Plastics; the kind of bubble that you can fill with water.

If you fill the bubble as full as you can, it will slowly sink taking your bait down and drifting along in any current.

Use a small crappie or pan fish float on a slip sinker rig. Put a slip sinker on the line and tie on a small swivel. Tie on a leader. Add on the bobber. Tie on your hook.

Add a small split shot or a bobber stop above the hook and below the bobber. You can move the shot or stop up or down to adjust the depth above the bottom.

They make a strike indicator for fly fishing that is a micro float or bobber. You can use on of these on the rig. The ones I have seen can be adjusted up or down the line, without having to use a stop or split shot. The indicators come in bright colors which act as a additional attractant.

Use a wedge or round of wine cork. The added advantage is that you have to open the wine to get the cork!

Weez
08-21-2007, 06:04 PM
Go Fresno Jack! Talk about a plethora of fishing tips! One other classic is the simple Sierra Cocktail. Inflated nightcrawler, hooked through the collar with a big enough hook (#6 or 8 Gamakatsu baitholder for me) to add a nice salmon egg which hides the hook point. Crawler floats the salmon egg... Deadly! Add two salmon eggs and you have a dirty joke.

fishing_man
08-21-2007, 06:25 PM
thanks guys but what is a collar of the worm is it the part withot the squigles?? thanks to everybody and fresno jack for all that time to type the info and help! thanks
FM

fishing_man
08-21-2007, 06:28 PM
weez you use half a nightcrawler right? and jack do you but the marshmallow just above the hook right? i got those pink shrimp flavored marshmallows. do they work with these or regular eating marshmallows work better like on funfishing? thanks.
FM

Mackattack
08-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Just got back from the bait store and bought all that Fresno had to advise on but darn if i could find that cork-wine bottle thing. Oh wait i should have started shopping at Wine store.(now i get it) [smiley=cheers.gif]

Mackattack

FresnoJack
08-22-2007, 12:08 AM
weez you use half a nightcrawler right? and jack do you but the marshmallow just above the hook right? i got those pink shrimp flavored marshmallows. do they work with these or regular eating marshmallows work better like on funfishing? thanks.
FM

Fishing Man,

Temporarily slide the marshmallow above the hook. Put a salmon egg on each of the points of the treble. Slide the marshmallow back down, molding it above the eggs, so it forms the "tree" shape.

This is the traditional rig. There is no reason that the marshmallow cannot be above the hook.

Regular or flavored marshmallows, either one. In the old days, there were only the eating kind. I would guess that there were many times more mallows purchased for trout fishing than any other use.

I have used garlic marshmallows. I can remember a few times when they out fished any other bait or lure.

Weez
08-22-2007, 06:49 AM
Whole nightcrawler. A half-crawler won't inflate so well, the air leaks out the broken end. Plus, big bait, big fish.

FresnoJack
08-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Whole nightcrawler. A half-crawler won't inflate so well, the air leaks out the broken end. Plus, big bait, big fish.

I purchased a pack of Berkely Gulp floating crawlers (the package says Floating Dover Crawler). The size is 5.5 inches. I have not tried them yet.

I never had much success inflating a real crawler with one of those little bottle blowers. The worms would blow up, as in kaboom.

I now use the syringe and fine needle from an ink jet cartridge refill kit. This also works very well to inject scent into a worm or other bait.

Fish_R_Us
08-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeap, and don't forget to inflate that crawler thru the heart. Seems to hold air better with a little bit more meat.

SalmonSeeker
08-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Use a puffball or a corky