PDA

View Full Version : Re: Fordyce access

johnbfishin
08-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Back in '78 or so my dad drove our '72 Pontiac station wagon into Fordyce, as we drove past the campground every head turned with a WTF are you doing here look. On the way out we had to wait for a 4x who's driver had a heavy foot and had dug himself in....and they had offered us a pull if we needed it! ;D ;D ;D

I haven't been there for quite a few years but I don't expect the road is any better. I did drive to the top of Signal Peak (Red Mountain) last year with a 2x and that road isn't any better. I was loosing tranny fluid by the time I got to the top. I decided to put a pot under the truck to catch the fluid, figuring I blew a seal and would be no worse off when I left in a couple days just to poor it back in. Apparently it was getting blown past the filler tube seal from the climb because it stopped after I shut it down. Nor have I had a problem with leaking since.

Nah, I wouldn't take anything less than a 4x to Fordyce unless you really want to put a 2x to the test. ;) ;D 8-)

There used to be some great fishing for bows at the head waters in the spring. ;)

waterdog
08-14-2007, 08:03 AM
I haven't been to Fordyce in a few years but I agree I wouldn't go in anything but a 4x4. Several years ago during deer season after a rain/snow I had to winch my way out of there in a few places.
I do remember that there are some big bows in that lake though. Havent thought about that lake for awhile but after your post I think I will take a drive there in the near future.
Anyone know if the 2 other lakes in that area - Sterling and Lola Montez are planted?
Waterdog :)

cjskier
08-14-2007, 08:12 AM
^almost all lakes in that area have resumed fish plants by air after several years with out any. They stopper planting trout so biologists could study the effect and range of the yellow leg frog. The trout plants were resumed last year, and will continue as planned every year. However, the problem lies with the years they took off. The lakes are missing this generation of fish, and it has made fish much more difficult in many lakes. All the fish planted in these lakes are fingerlings, so there will be holdvers, but you will be missing the 2-4 year old class of fish, which are the 10-15 inchers.

Plese keep us posted with a report if anyone does make it back to these lakes.

johnbfishin
08-14-2007, 02:47 PM
Actually we found that the fishing was best before the road was clear of snow. The decent to Fordyce is on a north slope, while most of the other 4-5 miles is on a south slope. If the timing is right we'd drive to the summit then hike down to and around the lake. The first time we did that it was a day trip but didn't get back to the car til almost mid-night, so we'd do overnighters. There was a deer camp back there with a table and shelves built into the trees.
16-18" bows were the norm and back then it was a ten fish limit.
For the young bucks who like a bit of adventure this would be a good trip to do in the early spring. 8-)

johnbfishin
08-14-2007, 06:29 PM
What the heck, another Pontiac story. This was back when you could still drive past Lindsey lake and on to Culbertsons lake. Past there a 4x would get you to Rock lakes and down to Bull Frog? At Culbertsons lake there is some private properties and some cabins. One property borders Texas Creek that comes out of Culbertsons. The property owner had re-barred a log into the ground on the other side of Texas Creek and posted signs saying no parking on this side of Texas creek.

Seeing as how he blocked the road we parked and hiked up to rock lakes. When we got back to the car there was a note on the windsheild saying to stop by the cabin for reading lessons.
The old man being who he is, backed the wagon across the creek, used the bumper jack and a chain to raise up the log and then chained it to the car. He dragged the log up to the driveway of the cabin, unhooked it and gave it shove while yelling "reading lessons my butt". My dad taught me everything I know. ;) ;D ;D ;D

fenton_chris
08-14-2007, 06:56 PM
i have fished this lake with my boat,"the squid" lol. only ever got one 14in bow and a 20incher over the past two yrs. and for those who think theres browns, well theres not. sure beats up my trailor but i dont give a......... i like to be the only one on the lake! 8-)