PDA

View Full Version : Snap Swivel Hating?

fishfinder42
08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
What's all this I hear about not using snap swivels? I was reading the Kastmaster discussion and saw people saying not to use them. I have also seen this on a few other trout posts. with a kastmaster, is it because it ruins the action? and with other baits such as pb do the fish see it and get spooked or what? I am asking because I like to use them for quick changes. It allows me to go from a kastmaster to a rooster tail to a lure and sometimes I even just throw a pretied hook on there. I don't really notice a difference in bites but then again I fish a lake that is not always forgiving. Any pros and cons are appreciated, thanks! Tight lines and bent rods!!!

p.s. I use the black ones and the gold ones for different times to try and hide them. black - day gold - night/evening

fishing_man
08-03-2007, 11:02 AM
for kastmater it ruins the action yes and for PB i use them for leader changes like when your using an egg slider sinker then you tie your main line to the snap swivel and on the other side is the snap for your leader changes.

metalmouth
08-03-2007, 11:11 AM
I would recommend the black ones for any time of day or night over the gold ones. When appropriate for trolling situations, the fish can actually strike the swivel instead of the lure. Most lure manufactures have a recommendation for attaching their lure to the leader if the action of the lure suffers when using a swivel or snap.

The_Big_Sinus
08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
I use snap-swivels for spinners only, pretty much. *Otherwise, its just plain cross-lock snaps, in black, for spoons, plugs and jigs.

Some lures are meant to be tied off direct (crawlers & poppers), and I also use a loop knot for very small jigs and very small plugs (Rapala CD3) with no hardware at all.

If I am trolling spoons, I will splice a swivel in the line about 5' up. *That way if I go too fast and the spoon starts spinning I don't trash the whole line... I do the same thing with a shorter leader when fishing spoons in current to address the same issue.

fishfinder42
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks a lot for your advice guys!!!!

fishlipd
08-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I like to use ball bearing swivels with kastmasters. the smallest size you can find, but I'm going to try both cross lock and straight leader for differences. let you know sun night. :D

Captain Compassion
08-03-2007, 08:16 PM
What's all this I hear about not using snap swivels?

Quick change isn't an issue for the Captain. Once on I'll usually keep a lure on until it rots off. 8-) On some lures you are forced to use one. Kastmasters of 1/2 oz and larger don't have a ring so it would be like tying your line to a knife. The same for the Phoebee. Do they have red snaps? That shouldn't detract from most spoons.

CC