PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Basin 08/01/07 (Pics)

Captain Compassion
08-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Left the homested at 7:30 arrived 7:55 at Sorensen's on 88 for breakfast. Not so cool. Slow service, over priced food that was so so at best plus I had to listen to "World Music" for an entire hour. Yikes!

Arrived *at Ice House at around 10:15. Fished by boat dock C&R 10 off shore by parking lot and off boat dock. Moved on to Union Valley and fished off the boat dock at Sunset. C&R 5 trout. Moved To loon Lake and had a picnic with Mrs. Compassion. I then fished the beach by the boat ramp where I C&R 7 trout. All trout at all lakes were caught on a 1/4 oz gold Kasmster.

All the lakes and the entire region was wonderful. The lakes seemed low but it's mid summer in a dry year so whet else could be expected. The camp grounds were about half full and few boats were on the lakes. My favorite was Ice House while the wife liked Loon. All total I caught 22 trout all stocker Bows in less than 2 hours fishing. It seem that I was less than 1 hour behind the DFG at all lakes. All in all a wonderful day.

CC

Sorensen's For Breakfast
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080107-01.jpg
Ice House
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080107-02.jpg
Ice House Action
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080107-03.jpg
Union Valley Res.
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080107-04.jpg
Loon Lake
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080107-05.jpg
Loon Lake Action
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/080107-06.jpg

fishlipd
08-01-2007, 06:15 PM
nice going and good report. Crystal basin is full of great fishing spots.Loon is my favorite.

JMat
08-01-2007, 07:12 PM
CC,

Congrats on the great day! *From the pictures Icehouse is still looking pretty good but Loon is alot lower than it was 3 weeks ago when I was there last. *Loon is my favorite for beauty, because the water is so clear and all the white granite boulders in the lake often give it a milky turquoise color. *But on the fishing side Icehouse is great for trout and UVR is good for kokanee. *The beauty is those two lakes are only 40 minutes from my house even when towing a boat. *By the way did you and the Mrs check out any other places?

JMat

Captain Compassion
08-01-2007, 07:34 PM
CC,

Congrats on the great day! *From the pictures Icehouse is still looking pretty good but Loon is alot lower than it was 3 weeks ago when I was there last. *Loon is my favorite for beauty, because the water is so clear and all the white granite boulders in the lake often give it a milky turquoise color. *But on the fishing side Icehouse is great for trout and UVR is good for kokanee. *The beauty is those two lakes are only 40 minutes from my house even when towing a boat. *By the way did you and the Mrs check out any other places?

No. We were moving awful fast. I wanted to visit Wright but we ran out of time. I'll go up there again in a couple of weeks maybe camp out.

CC

Fish_Bully
08-02-2007, 06:58 AM
We can always count on the Captain for a good report and pics. I don't frequent these areas but from the pics they don't look too low. I personally have seen many signs of the "D" word this year....we better get some snow this winter.

Our family stayed overnight at Sorensen's years ago when the kids were very young. It didn't live up to the hipe IMHO, but we went on a dog sledding adventure that did live up to the hipe.

Is water sports allowed on UVR or is it fishermen only?

Thanks,

Flip

Captain Compassion
08-02-2007, 07:17 AM
Is water sports allowed on UVR or is it fishermen only?

Water sports allowed I believe but I didn't see much evidence of it on a Wednesday.

CC

JMat
08-02-2007, 08:23 AM
FB,

Watersports are allowed on UVR and even though it's a pretty big lake the weekends after 10am are a mess.

JMat

rtandersen
08-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Capt.
Next time you go you to check out gerle creek. Nice quiet place to camp . The fishing can be tough sometimes .
There is a trial that leads to dam and there is alot of spots to fish and be sure you bring crickets and chatruse power bait.

BreakofDawn
08-02-2007, 11:35 AM
We can always count on the Captain for a good report and pics.
Yes sir :) I live vacariously though the captatin reports and yours too bully;D
I knew you where going yesterday capt. but I thought you were going for a few days :-[ Anyways, nice action and pictures to boot :) Check your PM about next week.

Captain Compassion
08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Capt.
*Next time *you go *you *to check out gerle creek. Nice *quiet place to camp . The *fishing *can be tough *sometimes .
There *is *a *trial that leads to dam *and *there is alot *of *spots *to *fish and *be sure *you bring *crickets *and *chatruse *power bait.

I noticed that place sittion up there all by it's self. That and Wright I have still to visit.

CC

Captain Compassion
08-02-2007, 12:19 PM
I knew you where going yesterday capt. but I thought you were going for a few days :-[ Anyways, nice action and pictures to boot :) Check your PM about next week.

Merely a scouting trip. I'm looking for places to fish in the fall and maybe where I can do a little camping. We're all set for next week.

CC

rtandersen
08-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Capt.
You might want to check out robbs resort for a cold barley pop for you and the mrs. also.

Captain Compassion
08-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Capt.
You *might want *to *check *out *robbs resort *for *a *cold *barley pop *for you and the mrs. * also.

I certainly didn't see all that many places to stop for a cold one in the area.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
-- Ben Franklin

CC

JMat
08-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Yeah,

They're always hidden just a little bit off the beaten path. Robbs Resort is about a quarter of a mile off icehouse road when you're heading to Loon. There's another really cool place on Wentworth Springs Road and it's called Uncle Toms Cabin. If you're anywhere within 10 miles of the place I would suggest a detour if necessary.

JMat

Captain Compassion
08-02-2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah,

They're always hidden just a little bit off the beaten path. *Robbs Resort is about a quarter of a mile off icehouse road when you're heading to Loon. *There's another really cool place on Wentworth Springs Road and it's called Uncle Toms Cabin. *If you're anywhere within 10 miles of the place I would suggest a detour if necessary.

Can I get a burger with my beer at any of these places?

CC

rtandersen
08-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Capt.
At robbs yes cold beer and a burger . It has hot showers and a camp ground. It was made from hand sawn timbers back in '' 84'' .
You should check it out .

fishlipd
08-03-2007, 02:47 PM
Robb's Resort is cool it has a bar, restaurant, cabins for rent, boats for rent, kayaks and other stuff i think. it's worth checking out.

rtandersen
08-03-2007, 03:58 PM
FISH
I think you might be mistaken on the boats and kayaks for rent . It is just a bar and restaurant and lmt general store for camp supplies.

fishlipd
08-03-2007, 05:00 PM
oh my bad. I could have swore they were for rent. maybe they were for sale? :D anyway it's still cool to get a cheeseburger or fat burrito and a beer way out there. is uncle toms cabin just a bar or can you get food?