PDA

View Full Version : Shore Trout Spots?

TeleComCal
08-02-2007, 06:47 AM
Looking for a good spot to float some bait with my 6 year old for some trout, rainbow or brown, no preference, and wonder where a good lake is with good shore line. Live in Oroville and any help would be great.

Also, if anyone out there can send some ideas on line set up for a bobber fo rmy son. I always have trouble with bobbers trying to get them to stay in a spot, I know from shore it can be difficult. Any ideas would be great. Thanks.

Looking for the trout spot to go out early fall.

FISHSTALKER
08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
For a float, I would recommend an adjustable bubble float. You can partially fill it with water for casting farther out. You use a round toothpick to lodge in the tube that goes through it and to set the amount of line to drift bellow it. A small split shot will keep that line and bait down.
In choppy water casting this bubble with flys or a woolly bugger behind it and slowly reeling in will produce.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0000022114624a&type=product&cmCat=sear ch&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=bubble+float&N=4887&Ntk=Pro ducts&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=bubble+float&noI mage=0

Bank fishing opens up any number of Lakes depending on how far you want to travel and how much you want to spend to fish the Lake.
Collins Lake does produce some nice fish from shore by the boat ramp and dam but is costly to get into. It's fairly level shoreline and easy for kids and family. They keep the Lake well stocked and offer facility's as well as a store/bait and good ice cream cones. ;) They are full of information too!

johnbfishin
08-02-2007, 09:03 AM
Now a days they have a bobber that you can put water in, set the line depth and twist, the twisting tightens a rubber tube around the line locking it in place.
I can't help you with a location near Oroville but I'm sure someone can.

AllFishNoWork
08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
There is a lake up past Paradise, the name escapes me right now. It is a PG&E lake and is good for banking, especially after plants. From what I hear there are 'bows and browns in there.

Empty_Net
08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
The PG&E lake that Allfish is referring to is Desabla Res., just up Skyway about 4-5 miles above Paradise. Further up is Philbrook. Pretty little lake up in the mountains about 5500'-6000'. After Labor day the crowds go away and its a nice place to go. However the water level really drops after the holiday but its still fishable and produces in the fall. Philbrook is about 1 1/2 hrs. above Paradise, past Sterling City and Inskip where the road turns to gravel for the remainder of the way into Philbrook.

Out of Oroville, there is Bucks Lake up past Berry Creek on the Oroville- Quincy road. Little Grass Valley is another good lake a little further drive on up by the town of Laporte, past Collins lake on I believe its called Marysville rd.. Both of these lakes will have lower water levels by fall, but should still be fishing well, especially as the waters start to cool down in these mountain locations. It will just require a little walk down the bank, as will almost anywhere you go this fall being a low water year.

Almost forgot to mention Paradise lake. Limited shoreline access, but what is available is well maintained and easy to access. It's a favorite of locals to take their kids fishing. It's stocked heavily in the spring, so there are fish in the lake, just been a little slow lately due to summertime heat, which is typical of most spots this time of year. If you need furter info. for the lakes in the Paradise area as your planned fishing date draws near, try the folks at Paradise Sporting Goods. They will be able to give you honest info. on current fishing, water levels, and access info. for the three local lakes mentioned. Or else you can always ask us here on the boards. There are alot of guys here that fish these waters and will provide you with current conditions.

Hope this helps give you some choices along with others suggested.

ronniedobbs
08-02-2007, 07:50 PM
thermalito afterbay is being stocked this week i beleive.check the dfg website.also check out bedrock park,there's usually some rainbows in there.powerbait floating 2 feet off the bottom works.