PDA

View Full Version : Almost time for halibut again...

gmdcdvm
02-02-2009, 04:16 AM
Sitting hear bored at work when I realized if this year is anything like last year we may be into some early halibut again this March. I think last year the first reports of consistent catches of haliubt were about the middle of March, and by Mid April it was in full swing. Hopefully, live bait will be available in April.
Counting the days...
G

hooked_fishin
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I CAN'T WAIT, THAT WHAT I'M GETTING THE NEW BOAT READY FOR.

nayr
02-02-2009, 06:53 PM
yup... Cant wait for the first trip this year! Now who can I tag along with????? [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Ugbomb
02-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Damn I want a boat sooooooooooo Bad!!!! :'(

foggy
02-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I was thinking of giving the bay halibuts a shoot this season it sounded like you guys where having a banner year in the bay last year.

So where is the best place to launch and fish the bay for halibuts?

Woody
02-02-2009, 08:40 PM
I will be ordering my new Bait tank as soon as I get my Fed. Tax chack in the mail. Can't wait to start fishing the bay.

Woody

gmdcdvm
02-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Hey Nautilus,
There is not necessarily no one spot to launch from since the best places can vary over the course of the year. Typically, early on the south bay seems to get most of the action (Alameda rock wall, Oyster Point). As the year progresses you'll find them at Treasure Island, Angel Island, Berkeley flats, Southampton flats, and up near San Rafael. Last year it seemed like they were everywhere by mid summer, but some spots were definitely better than others. I don't have a boat of my own so most of my fishing has been on party boats. If its like the last few years I suspect they'll (the party boat skippers that is) start off down south again in March or April, and then move to the central parts of the bay by May or June.

So, where is the best place to launch? I think Berkeley gives you a more central location to all of these areas, and the Berkeley flats are right around the corner. You could launch out of Alameda, Oyster Pt., or San Rafael depending on where the fish seem to be. Don't be surprised though if you find yourself prospecting various locations. Now, if you ever need someone to tag along I'ld be more than happy to teach you what I know ;) :).

Still counting the days...halibut ceviche...halibut fish-n-chips...broiled halibut...baked halibut...grilled halibut...sound like bubba gump.

Gerry

Bakkie
02-03-2009, 12:15 AM
I can't wait to start slayin' halibut again!!! [smiley=excited.gif]

modman
02-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Slayin Halibut! poor Halibuts :'(

tc
02-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Hey Nautilus,
There is not necessarily no one spot to launch from since the best places can vary over the course of the year. Typically, early on the south bay seems to get most of the action (Alameda rock wall, Oyster Point). As the year progresses you'll find them at Treasure Island, Angel Island, Berkeley flats, Southampton flats, and up near San Rafael. Last year it seemed like they were everywhere by mid summer, but some spots were definitely better than others. I don't have a boat of my own so most of my fishing has been on party boats. If its like the last few years I suspect they'll (the party boat skippers that is) start off down south again in March or April, and then move to the central parts of the bay by May or June.

So, where is the best place to launch? I think Berkeley gives you a more central location to all of these areas, and the Berkeley flats are right around the corner. You could launch out of Alameda, Oyster Pt., or San Rafael depending on where the fish seem to be. Don't be surprised though if you find yourself prospecting various locations. Now, if you ever need someone to tag along I'ld be more than happy to teach you what I know *;) :).

Still counting the days...halibut ceviche...halibut fish-n-chips...broiled halibut...baked halibut...grilled halibut...sound like bubba gump.

Gerry

Any recommendations on boat captains for the bay? I think I would rather go on a few party boats before bring my boat all the way to the bay area.

Thanks

Tom http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chromeswimmer3.GIF

Seon
02-03-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm going to expand this year and will include BUTT hunting :o ;D.

tc
02-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I'm going to expand this year and will include BUTT hunting *:o ;D.

I'd love to, and I'm sure my boat can probably take anything the bay can throw at her, we've been out off of the coast a few times, just don't know a thing about Halibut fishing.

Tom http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chromeswimmer3.GIF

cptfishalot
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeap.....Looks like I will be out this weekend....

fuenstock
02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
[smiley=homersimpson.gif] Mmmm Halibut,

fuenstock
02-03-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm a halibut rookie. I tried for Halibut late in the season last year, and only caught on fish. Good thing it was a 36 pounder! Thats some really good meat! I can't wait to go after them again!

GOT2FISH510
02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
Man... Halibut season is around the corner already. SO SO fast. Lets hope the striper bass this year picks up as well also be/c last year striper was bit poo. Halibut hands down was a awesome season last year. FISH ONNNN!! :)

bpfishnon
02-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Has anyone had any luck back trolling and bouncing jigs, or is bait the go to butt killer in the bays, does it change outside the gate?
B

Jerrdirt
02-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Here's to a good season. Cheers!

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3228/halibutqg5.jpg (http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=halibutqg5.jpg)
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/halibutqg5.jpg/1/w208.png (http://g.imageshack.us/img155/halibutqg5.jpg/1/)

Bakkie
02-05-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm going to expand this year and will include BUTT hunting *:o ;D.

I'd love to, and I'm sure my boat can probably take anything the bay can throw at her, we've been out off of the coast a few times, just don't know a thing about Halibut fishing.

Tom *http://www.steelheader.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chromeswimmer3.GIF

What I did was went out there, found the party boats, and fished right next to them,but not so close that I was being a jack @$$. I caught 1 last year doing that, and found several good places. Why pay 80 bucks to fish on a party boat when you can fish right next to them?

GOT2FISH510
02-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Has anyone had any luck back trolling and bouncing jigs, or is bait the go to butt killer in the bays, does it change outside the gate?
B

Live Bait is the way to go in the bay. No need to troll. Save gas and just drift with the water. Get some live anchovy and boucing them on the bottom setup and your good. *Best live bait for Butts are anchovy, Shiner Perch, Jacksmelt.

When i go for butts I actually stay inside the Golden Gate. I only go outside the Golden Gate when I go look for the schools of stripers stacked along the Rocks outside the GG.

GL!

gmdcdvm
02-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Alright,
To answer a few questions:
1. Live bait works great, but so does trolling and live bait is not always available. Helps to have a back up plan just in case. You will find there are some people who have strong feelings about live bait and others about trolling. In the end they both work if done right so it depends on what type of fishing you like to do.
2. There are several good party boats in the bay area, and I am party boat fishermen like myself all have out personnal favorites. Depending on how much you want to spend my personnal favorites are Flash Fishing, New Huck Finn, Righthook, and Cal Dawn. I have heard about others, but haven't tried them out.
3. I have never heard or seen anyone bouncing jigs off the bottom, but I have seen it in So. Cal so I know it works. I don't know why it wouldn't work up here, but just doesn't seem to be that common. On party boat there is usually no room with everyone else aboard.

Still counting the days...halibut soup...halibut surf n turf...

Gerry

jdecker
02-08-2009, 04:06 PM
Trolling is the way to go if you want to catch more fish, I even troll with live bait (very slow). I have never caught as many halibut drifting vs trolling, no comparison. I just hope this year is as good as last year. 8-)

jdecker
02-08-2009, 04:08 PM
El Jefe Chingon, do you know if anyone has tried this early yet? It seems like the flats or the rockwall would have someone trying if they lived nearby, I know I would if I were closer.

sokoo
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
B
I know what you are talking about. I used to do quite well bouncing a jig on a very slow troll or a wind drift, but that's when I was in my small Porta-Bote fishing the very quiet water at Oyster Point. I used an electric trolling motor at the lowest speed when doing that, about the same speed as a light wind drifting the boat. Since I bought the 17ft boat and started working the Berkeley area, this method doesn't work very well, and I switched to trolling or drifting dead bait.

If you can move very slowly relative to the water, and the water is not too rough, the jig bouncing method can work well, on some days may even be better than bait. South Bay, or Central Bay when tide is not moving much and no wind, is a good time to give it a try. Good thing about the jigging method is you almost never lose a fish, and you get the direct feeling of a strike. Also no cumbersome heavy sinker to fight against.

gmdcdvm
02-11-2009, 12:05 AM
No reports on halibut yet that I know of. If they are our their no one is talking. Last report I heard about was from December. The common belief is that the can be found in the bay year round, but the numbers go way up in the spring/summer.
G

jdecker
02-11-2009, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the info, I will wait a month unless I hear otherwise.

SpinReelFisher
02-11-2009, 04:56 PM
A buddy just purchased a 21ft'r for bay delta fishing. We're going to be taking it out come next month - first time halibut fishing.

Does anyone know a good place to launch a boat that size for fishing Berkeley area?? (It's an I/O with a cuddy - so it's got a little depth to it)

cptfishalot
02-11-2009, 05:44 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spent two days on the agua hitting all my usual haunts and NO takers....
Guess it's still early yet.......

Did see a Seal eating what appeared to be a Sand Shark?????
Must be tough out there??

I'll try in a couple of weeks...

jdecker
02-11-2009, 06:26 PM
Launch at the Berkeley Marina. Live bait, fresh water washout, boat slips for 50 cents a foot, great parking, fishing grounds within minutes of leaving the marina. Need I say more?