PDA

View Full Version : kennedy meadows

fulltroutjones
07-30-2007, 11:15 AM
we had a good couple days fishin from baker to the meadow..river is low low low,found some holes and caught and released a bunch of fish ,including 2 browns ,small and fiesty,and a bunch of little little brookies..i love fishing that area..the bad news,i waded out to fish a hole and accidentally left my box full of panther martins, rooster tails and ,kastmasters on a rock on the shore 20 ft from me. >:(.within 20 minutes some fisherman figured they were unattanded and therefore theres for the taking.not even a "hey buddy,these yours?".they got about 60 lures,one of wich i hope finds its way deep into their index finger..ok a bit harsh,but maybe my fish voodoo hex i put on the lures will work..no fish for you!!

BreakofDawn
07-30-2007, 11:36 AM
That is to bad FTJ I feel for you. I left my gear this weekend to but lucky my extra pole and gear was not taken. I hope the hex works or better yet I hope someone comes clean.

smokey420
07-30-2007, 08:44 PM
hey do those same old really cool people own that resturant/bar there in kennedy meadow ?

fulltroutjones
07-31-2007, 06:06 AM
yes they are still there,but actually ,pge is losing the land to the govt..and they want to shut down the meadow..i believe if you go to the kennedy meadow website they can tell you more..www.kennedymeadows.com

Fish_Bully
07-31-2007, 12:17 PM
Yep the government has gone on the record with shutdown statements. It has really angered many people who frequently or anually schedule packing trips into taking action of their own.

I have never been there...too many people for me and the trails are full of poop and black flies but many people have been doing this for generations (kinda like Pinecrest...everyone you seem to meet states they have been going there for generations).

Flip

Captain Compassion
07-31-2007, 12:35 PM
I've been following this thread and I assumed that you all were talking about Kennedy Meadows on the South fork of the Kern River. :-[ I was going to mention how I spent weeks at a time camped there in the late 70s. Oh well. Never mind.

CC

South Fork Kern River at the other Kennedy Meadows
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/sfkern.jpg

dano
07-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Haven't checked out the site yet but it sounds like a terrible idea to me. Anytime the government takes over something it goes downhill quickly. I've been going up there since the mid 60's and there have always been lots of people. But it is a nice place and always a fun time.
Sorry to hear about this.

johnbfishin
07-31-2007, 05:26 PM
Though Kennedy Meadows (north? ;)) isn't high on my list as a get away place, it's were I started backpacking from in the 60's & 70's. I still enjoy stopping by there for a cold one and taking in the sights and sounds of a pack station. It is a pretty cool place and the area has a lot to offer. It would be a shame to see it change or be shut down.

Captain Compassion
07-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Though Kennedy Meadows (north? ;)) isn't high on my list as a get away place, it's were I started backpacking from in the 60's & 70's. I still enjoy stopping by there for a cold one and taking in the sights and sounds of a pack station. It is a pretty cool place and the area has a lot to offer. It would be a shame to see it change or be shut down.

A check of the map and my memory, (a sometimes difficult task), I find that I was actually at Kennedy Meadow (north) at the end of June. Now I'm doubly embarassed. :-[ :-[. It is a nice place.

CC
Middle Fork of the Stan at Kennedy Meadows
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/h108-05.jpg

JMat
07-31-2007, 07:05 PM
Haven't been there in years but if I remember correctly there was an old western movie set not to far from the store. *I have fond memories of the place, it was one of the places my buddies and I stashed food on our Tahoe-Yosemite backpacking trip a little over 20 years ago. *I hate it when a good place like that is shutdown.

JMat

Mackattack
07-31-2007, 09:49 PM
FTJ send me your address and i;ll mail you a fishing vest for X-mass. I feel for loss and hope the loser snags all of them on trees and never gets his line wet. [smiley=angry.gif]

Mackattack