PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Basin Help

Captain Compassion
07-27-2007, 08:06 AM
On 08/01/2007 we will be going to the Crystal Basin area North of US 50 West of Tahoe. This is the first time we have been in this area. We will be touring and from time to time fishing if the opportunity presents it's self. I need suggestions as to what is good to see in the area and good fishing opportunities that may be encountered along the way. Any help is greatly appreciated.

CC

notenufffishn
07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
You are making a great choice. The Crystal Basin is one of my favorite areas. When you get a chance send me a personal e-mail and I can find out more of what you are looking for. There are some great quick hikes or you can get lost for days. There are some nice back roads you can go to and just check out the scenery or you can taake a long drive. I have been going there since I was in clooege in the early 90's and at that time I spent just about every other weekend up there. You should be able to get my personal e-mail from my profile. If you have a problem let me know.

SpaceFish
07-27-2007, 09:34 AM
A good way to check that area out is to drive first to Ice-House, and then up to Wrights Lake. The views and hiking at Wrights are spectacular.
Loon is also a good fishing destination.

rtandersen
07-27-2007, 10:18 AM
You have union valley res. and also gerle creek for some quiet camping . gerle creek has native german brown fishing . Bait of choice is crickets or power bait.

Captain Compassion
07-27-2007, 10:32 AM
You are making a great choice.

This trip is more of a scouting trip than anything else. This being my first time in the area I really don't know enough about the area to ask knowledgable questions. I suspect I'll lots of questions when I return. I will report.

CC

fishingrookie
07-27-2007, 10:40 AM
one of my favorites spots for throwing a trusty kastmaster is at the creek inlet at ice house. Its a little ways down a dirt road but usually worth the drive. if you drive past wrights lake there is also a lake up there I think it is called dark lake? I've caught some fish out of there with some spinners in the past.

lazylab
07-27-2007, 06:57 PM
:) be very careful at dark lake if you go to the back side it is the desolation welderness an requires a day use permit. even for hiking! the road in is not for everyone, it,s called the barrets lake trail 4-wheel only, the forest service will shut the gate at the first raindrop. they will come in an tell you to leave, follow them out! if your vehicle cann't fit between the post for the gate you will not make the trail :o

Mackattack
07-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Also this time or next take a look at Echo Lk. Real nice views of Tahoe on the way in. Havent fished there but a cool looking place. It,s about 15 min. from the top of the pass into the lake.

Mackattack

flatcom
07-28-2007, 03:57 PM
CC, give capt ken a pm ;)

Mackattack
07-29-2007, 06:10 AM
There are also several spots to fish the Silver Fork AM river on the way down the hill to Ice House turn off on Hy 50.

Mackattack

willbilly
07-29-2007, 07:09 AM
OR, :) :) ;)you can come join us @ UVR and meet part of the Sniffer crew. 8-)

http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1182898573;start=all

Captain Compassion
07-29-2007, 08:30 AM
OR, *:) :) ;)you can come join us @ UVR and meet part of the Sniffer crew. 8-)

Wow. Sounds like fun. I'll me moving fast on Wednesday and I have a fishing date on Friday but Saturday? Perhaps. Thanks very much for the invite.

CC

JMat
07-29-2007, 08:45 AM
This time of year in the Crystal Basin you have to check out Loon and Wrights Lake for sure. But there are alot of others, below Union Valley Dam is a reservoir called the Junction and fishing can be off the hook for wild fish because of the cold water they let out of UVR. Access is a little difficult but usually well worth it. If you like to hike a little bit there are some amazing brook trout lakes as well.

JMat

willbilly
07-29-2007, 09:18 AM
OR, *:) :) ;)you can come join us @ UVR and meet part of the Sniffer crew. 8-)

Wow. Sounds like fun. I'll me moving fast on Wednesday and I have a fishing date on Friday but Saturday? Perhaps. Thanks very much for the invite.

CC

If you have a VHF marine radio Ch #69 is what most all of us will be on and it will skip between lakes often so do not forget to tell us if you are on Loon or Ice house.
FYI for your wife pay showers are @ UVR on the Peninsula beach area

PS: watch for rocks most of the lakes have bad spots that you come up on quick.

Captain Compassion
07-29-2007, 11:26 AM
This time of year in the Crystal Basin you have to check out Loon and Wrights Lake for sure. *But there are alot of others, below Union Valley Dam is a reservoir called the Junction and fishing can be off the hook for wild fish because of the cold water they let out of UVR. *Access is a little difficult but usually well worth it. *If you like to hike a little bit there are some amazing brook trout lakes as well.

I saw Junction on the map and I wondered about it. Thanks for the tip. What is in the lake Browns, Bows or Brooks?

CC

Mackattack
07-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Mack,s in UVR capt. hook up with capt. ken in the early spring/late winter. I have talked with him and sounds like a great guy.

Mackattack

Captain Compassion
07-29-2007, 07:29 PM
Mack,s in UVR capt. hook up with capt. ken in the early spring/late winter. I have talked with him and sounds like a great guy.

You the man Mack. After Friday I will no longer be a Mack virgin. 8-) I've lurked over at the Mack board several times and those folks seem to have a complete different lifestyle. They catch some real nice fish. Some where there is a Mack with my name on it.

CC

Mackattack
07-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Keep that attitude capt. and the mack will be yours. [smiley=yahoo.gif]

Mackattack

P.S. Only 2 more working days till Caples [smiley=bananachaga.gif]

JMat
07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
CC,
In the Junction it's all Browns and 'Bows and I know there a re a few Macks and smallmouth as well and as near as I can tell they're all wild. *I've never seen anybody stocking the lake and you have to work at it a little but it's worth the payoff. *As for UVR right now you should be fishing for kokanee but you can still catch Macks too.

JMat

Captain Compassion
07-29-2007, 08:36 PM
CC,
In the Junction it's all Browns and 'Bows and I know there a re a few Macks and smallmouth as well and as near as I can tell they're all wild. *I've never seen anybody stocking the lake and you have to work at it a little but it's worth the payoff. *As for UVR right now you should be fishing for kokanee but you can still catch Macks too.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get up there. Hope that Mrs. Compassion lets me do a little fishing.

CC