PDA

View Full Version : Kastmaster

fishing_man
07-22-2007, 08:45 PM
what is a better size kastmater for planter trout? Just reel in slowly or add some twitches? Thanks
Fishing_Man

Captain Compassion
07-22-2007, 09:00 PM
what is a better size kastmater for planter trout? Just reel in slowly or add some twitches? Thanks
Fishing_Man

In lakes 1/4 oz. gold. Slow with stops and starts and twitches. Trout will often hit it when it is stopped because it starts to flutter and sink.

CC

hunkfisher
07-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Like Capt said gold works out great any gold variation, i also like Lil Cleo's in similar sizes of kastmasters, except use the gold and red i think Cloe's get really good action that being said i like to retrieve mine slow to medium with stops or switch from which angle i am retrieving from ( left to right and vice versa) you can also twitch it but i think the stop and fall is way better technique to use.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

fishing_man
07-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Another question. what kind of knot do you guys use?? directly to the ring? thanks!!
Fishing_Man

Captain Compassion
07-22-2007, 10:28 PM
Regular fishing knot directly to the ring.

CC

phisherKev
07-22-2007, 10:52 PM
I have no practical knowledge cause I cant remember the last time I caught a fish in the bay area lakes with a kastmaster..........BUT.... a book i read recently on trout said silver or nickel KM on sunny days and gold on overcast days. and the book does say make your approach different each time and make sure u let it sink in the summer and to count down while sinking that way when you do catch a fish you know what depth!! hope this helps... since reading it I cant wait to try a Kastmaster soon ::)

BreakofDawn
07-23-2007, 06:36 AM
I read something to that effect too but it was about PMS It said to use dark colors when there is no light and light colors when there is light. I can not confirm this however or deny this I did try this at Red this weekend and caught a 16er on a black PM before the sun hit the water and used a yellow PM to catch a 10 incher when the sun was in full effect ;)

Captain Compassion
07-23-2007, 06:57 AM
I have no practical knowledge cause I cant remember the last time I caught a fish in the bay area lakes with a kastmaster..........BUT.... a book i read recently on trout said silver or nickel KM on sunny days and gold on overcast days. and the book does say make your approach different each time and make sure u let it sink in the summer and to count down while sinking that way when you do catch a fish you know what depth!! hope this helps... since reading it I cant wait to try a Kastmaster soon ::)

My experience runs counter to this to some extent. With the KM, and most metallic lures, Gold seems to work better with Bows then Silver. The same with Cutts. Browns like Silver better. Silver is generally better in low light conditions but not all that much. Brookies don't care.

CC

anglinfool
07-23-2007, 02:28 PM
I've caught fish both ways, but I must say, have caught most of them slow reeling. I don't really match colors to sky/weather conditions. I'll try one color and rotate until one works. I mostly use a cutthroat or brook trout pattern kastmaster 1/4 to 1/8 oz.

anglinfool
07-23-2007, 02:30 PM
PS: *Usually connect the lures to the ring with a very small swivel as it makes for quick changing lure patterns.

Captain Compassion
07-23-2007, 02:33 PM
I've caught fish both ways, but I must say, have caught most of them slow reeling. *I don't really match colors to sky/weather conditions. *I'll try one color and rotate until one works. *I mostly use a cutthroat or brook trout pattern kastmaster 1/4 to 1/8 oz.

The right answer is to use what works. What ever the heck that is. 8-)

CC

The_Big_Sinus
07-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Regular fishing knot directly to the ring.

I actually take the split rings off completely. When I use spoons, I tie on an appropriately sized cross-lock snap (NOT a snap swivel) and then clip whatever spoon I'm using to it...

So far as color goes- you are imitating a baitfish. Whatever you think is in the lake you are fishing should determine your shoice of color- not what kind of fish you are aiming for...

For example, a hammered silver pattern spoon works great in Lafayette reservoir- I believe it imitates a stickleback. My preffered "brands" are Krocodiles (readily available in Bay Area stores) and Cop-E-Cats (made in the Midwest- go to Eppinger.com).

However, I've never had very good luck with a lot of silver patterns in the Sierra, not that an occasional one doesn't work, or that I leave them at home, but I just don't think under most conditions it resembles the fish in the lake... Thus, gold spoons come into play... I'd say most of the easily accessible Sierra lakes have speckled dace in them, and speckled dace are just a tad larger than a 1/4 oz. Kastmaster and have a gold cast to them. Here's a tip- if you can find a hammered gold spoon (1/4 oz. Cop-E-Cat or Dardevle would be my first choice), cast that when the bite appears to shut off as the sun hits the water if gold Kastmasters were working earlier- count these spoons down a little deeper... I believe that the flat, highly reflective surface of the Kastmaster is a bit much for the fishies eyes at times, so I like to tone it down every so often.

Light is also pretty influential... I have this crazy Kuusamo 1/3 oz. spoon in chartruese and black, with a silver back. So far as I can tell, it works in one lake and only when it is very, very dim in the evening (when fish are basically color-blind, anyway)- and that's Lower Bear. What I notice is that even with sunglasses on in near-dark conditions, I can see it in the water. I think that's why it works, mostly.

FreshwaterFrank
07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Nothing wrong with going with the oldies. Dardevel's have always worked, and always will. I have caught my biggest fish on them, here & in Canada & AK. KM are a good general use lure. Sometimes they will work when nothing else does. They definitely seem to nail the fresh planters. Another good one is the old "Wobbl-rite" hammered finish spoons. I have a bunch of them, and they will absolutely kill sometimes. The gold finish usually outfishes the silver, but certain times of day that isn't true. Big lake rainbows will hit the silver. Goldens are especially susceptible to gold Wobbl-rites. I have never not caught them, using this lure....in likely waters.

PaCiFiCa_Rd
07-23-2007, 04:03 PM
i just tie straight to the split ring and do a slow retreive... my favorite kastmaster is rainbow trout in 1/8 to 1/4 oz.

Mackattack
07-23-2007, 08:32 PM
Well I just went out and bought a few Gold KMs and low and behold when I put them in my box I already had two or three already. [smiley=lolk.gif] I guess i win.

Mackattack [smiley=fishing5.gif]

BrownMeat
07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
My favorite for planters is my 1/4 oz Fire Tiger (yeah, it sounds cool!)

Then goes the silver with blue bottom... and then the gold with rainbow trout print pink stripe....

I've been thinking of tying 2 foot leader to a swivel snap and flourocarbon line for the leader to see if there is a difference. . . . but anyway - good luck!

fishing_man
07-23-2007, 09:57 PM
alright thanks guys got the 1/4 gold from all the good reports!!!! :)

Trout_Terminator
07-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Silver is generally better in low light conditions but not all that much. Brookies don't care.

CC

[/left]

As i understood it, Gold catches more light then silver and that is why you use it in low light conditions (that and you want to match the hatch). For planters, i like both, silver and gold work for me (planters are usually in a state of shock when they hit the water, and when they do start to feed, they are very aggressive feeders and will hit almost anything i have found out). Also, i like to throw spinners, and Little Cleo's (same colors as the KM). I work my KM as a "Jig", i will cast out, retrieve, then let it drop (give it a little twitch), then reel in the slack, and then a little more, repeat (i like to keep the line taunt because like said before, the trout will usually hit it on the drop, because a KM looks like an injured bait fish, and when it drops i think the trout read it as the bait fish has basically given up and they don't have to work to chaise it down, so it makes an easy meal). That or i do a very erratic retrieve, where i will burn it in, or i will also burn it in, then just dead drop it (this is an awesome way, because it gets there attention, and i have had strikes when burning it in, that and i have had then hit it when i dead drop it). That or cast it and retrieve it though the school slowly (when they are just planted, they usually stay in a school for like 2 or 3 weeks). And i just tie it directly to the split ring (i like the Palmer knot).

-TT

Captain Compassion
07-24-2007, 06:23 AM
As i understood it, Gold catches more light then silver and that is why you use it in low light conditions (that and you want to match the hatch).

Another one of my favorite trout lures is the Phoebee. It has excellent action at very slow speed and the trout seem to hit it harder than any other lure. The draw backs to it are that it doesn't cast all that far and it doesn't sink so fast.

CC

Fish_R_Us
07-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I go for the 1/4 oz. silver one. It casts like a bullet and the slow retreive works for me. Cast it out and try different depths by counting down as it sinks.

I have a couple that are painted with flourescent red on the head that work good for trolling.

And if all fails...I have a couple with some stick-on prism tape on one or both sides.

I've used them also by removing the treble hook and adding on a short leader and a #8 hook with an inflated nightcrawler, or floating bait. Really works when nothing else seems to entice the trout. Cast it out and slowly jerk it every 20-30 seconds.

The_Big_Sinus
07-24-2007, 01:19 PM
tying 2 foot leader to a swivel snap

Don't clip the spoon on to whatever with a snap swivel... If you want a leader with a swivel, best think to do is tie a swivel to one end of the leader, and a snap to the other end....

panther
07-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Kastmasters are okay. You can cast them a long distance, and sometimes that has its advantages. But for long distance casting I prefer the Jake's Spin a Lure. You can "cast them a mile", and I like their action better than the action of a Kastmaster. It's not a well-known lure, but I really like it. Panther

BrownMeat
07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
I meant :

----line--0::swivel:::0```````````flourocarbon```````0(;;;KM ;;;;;{{{

hunkfisher
07-24-2007, 09:37 PM
Hey i figured out a way to really cast those things out far 8-), just ask captian

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

jaycab
07-25-2007, 07:03 PM
I tend to agree with Captain Compassion. Trout are predators just like Bass. They will eat whatever THEY WANT to eat. One has to basically put the laborius time and effort to catch them consistently. Here in the southbay, most planted trout like powerbait and the other stuff until they realize little fish taste just as good if not better than these other baits. Their instincts start to kick in. They start to hunt like real predators that they were made to be. The holdover trout can be caught on all the finesse Bass lures ( kastmasters, rooster-tails, crappie jigs, crankbaits, etc.) but just make sure to use the smaller sizes. Retrieves? well, yeah, stop and go works very well. Colors? well, I've done really well with colors that were not supposed to work. Lots of time and effort!!! There is no magic or sure fire formula!!! If there was I'd be a billionare being the entrepeneur that I am. I've been fishin' 20 years. I'm basically broke but lovin' fishin'!!! Keep your poles bent and luv y'all!!!

fishing_man
07-25-2007, 07:28 PM
alright thanks guy

jaycab
07-25-2007, 08:10 PM
Oh!! On another side-note. Speaking from the Bay area trout you do not have to break your arm trying to cast a thousand miles to catch fish. Most of my Trout are caught 'bout 20 feet from shore. There are exceptions, but for the most part they'll be pretty close to shore. Hope this helps. God bless you all, Hugs and Kisses, from James.

fishing_man
07-25-2007, 08:12 PM
alright thanks will be fishing in bay area

cornman
07-26-2007, 05:17 PM
What size/color would work best in the south fork AR?

Captain Compassion
07-26-2007, 05:43 PM
What size/color would work best in the south fork AR?

For the most part I have had little success with the Kastmaster in Rivers. I prefer spinner type lures such as Panther Martin, Rooster Tail or Mepps. The advantage of a Kastmaster is that it has a good jigging action when fished slowly allowing not only a horizontal retrieve but good vertical (depth) control. Most rivers are too shallow to be able to take advantage of this feature and you end up getting snagged a lot. The best spoon type lure for rivers I have found is the Thomas Bouyant. This being said I have little experience with the American. If where you are fishing has deep holes where the lure can get down a Kastmaster might do the trick. Perhaps try a smaller size such as 1/8 oz or smaller.

Good luck
CC

Mackattack
07-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Also remember to cast past that rock in the middle of the Riv. or right along the bank and bring it up to them and hold on you may catch a hog when you least expect. Good luck. Mackattack