PDA

View Full Version : father son camping on the Yuba

nonobritton
07-23-2007, 08:09 PM
About 2 weeks ago i went on a yearly father son fishing and camping trip up to the north fork of the Yuba. we stayed for 5 days and caught more fish than we could eat.
the first day we set up camp then went fishing we got about 4 fish the first day on worms. but on the 2nd day we walked up the river about 1/4 a mile from are camp and started fishing this nice little hole we started catching a lot of fish we had to stop because we filled are stringer. they where biting every thing we put in the water worms lures and eggs. by my 3rd fish my dad said i should try a different rig, so i jumped off my rock and slipped and fell on my wrist and had to stop ( :(i had to get it x-rayed a few days ago its just badly sprained :().
We caught a few more fish in the same hole later that day. the rest of the trip was fun we got almost 60+ fish including releases. it was a nice trip and a lot of fun. ;D

tcbritton
07-23-2007, 08:16 PM
And what he didnt say is we ate way to much fried food and beans but really it was a great yr this yr the kids had a blast and as always we had to find all new fishing holes they change every yr. Now noah fell not only once but twice on his wrist and the second time the girls just down stream had nothing to do with him showing off LMAO ..... no fires this yr but we made smores on the gas grill not the best but the younger ones got a great sugar rush so they had a blast.... ;)

johnbfishin
07-23-2007, 08:35 PM
Now the truth comes out! LMAO!
While my daughter was fishing a river I was taking some pics, a young boy came wading down the river. He looked at my daughter and lost all control, I just happened to get a pic of him face down in the river. ;)
I'm glad you guys had a great trip and caught a bunch of fish. 8-)

fernley_tim
07-24-2007, 07:36 PM
great story tc and non I was raised on the yuba north fork, middle and the south I spent my early twentys mining the the north fork we got gold 8-) and alot of browns and rainbows were you below downeyville or above?

tcbritton
07-24-2007, 09:01 PM
All of the above we like to move around and fish every good looking hole we could find ;)

Kneedeep
07-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great time, except for the clumsy one. ;D ;D J/K Noah. Tom I love that area, I first fished the yuba between Downieville and Sierra City in the 60's. We used to walk from union flats camp ground to Downieville and back while hitting every hole that was deep enough to hold fish. The limit was 10 trout and we never had a problem reaching it before breakfast. I can still smell the bacon and fried taders and feel the cool breeze coming off that white water just above the deep emerald pool at the edge of camp. We had a neighbor that was a ranger there, and before we camped at union flatts, he let us camp outside his cabin when he was down in the valley. The cabin is gone now and there are 30 foot trees where it once stood, just before you go over the bridge to Shangra La. Ya I love that place and have lots of fond memories. I'm gonna make it a point to get the wife back up there, she loves it too. Don't ask her about the big brown she caught there (well almost) I forgot the net. :-[ * *Kneedeep

Baetis
07-25-2007, 08:23 AM
Is the North Fork still productive in mid-August? I'm going to be in the area the second week of August, and wondered if I should bring my equipment ...

Baetis ...

Kneedeep
07-25-2007, 10:53 AM
Baetis The flows will be pretty low but you can work you bait behind rocks that have a pool behind them. Fly fishing is pretty productive when the low flows make the pools a little smaller. Not far above Sierra City there's several lakes to fish. Just go to Basetts (sp) and make a left, there's a map sign there of all the lakes, some small some large. As for the gear, never leave home without it. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Kneedeep

Kneedeep
07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Bait can be used BELOW Ladies Caynon creek. As far as the lakes near Bassetts, bait is ok there too. I would say it's everyone's responsibility to read and know the regs for the area they intend to fish. I have posted on another thread about the special regs for the streach of river from Ladies Canyon Creek to Sierra City and sent a PM to the person who asked how and where to fish the area. Baetis asked if the river would be productive the 2nd week of august and if he should bring his equipment.
Kneedeep

tcbritton
07-26-2007, 06:13 PM
the camp host told us that bait was aloud during the summer months but we stuck to flys and lures for the most part till my son fell on his wrist ;)