PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Lake

LJ
07-18-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi,
We are heading up to Cherry Lake Friday morning for four days . Anyone been up there lately? Plan on trolling mostly spinners. Will also try the creek inlet at the waterfall throwing crawlers ,rooster tails and Salmon eggs in the white water from the falls. May take the hike to Eleanor .

LJ
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Also I was wandering if anyone has taken the hike up the creek before? I wouldn't mind giving it a shot ,especially if there are any wild trout up there.

thanks,
Joaquin

Fish_R_Us
07-18-2007, 04:12 PM
At the Cherry Creek Inlet to the lake, there is a small waterfall that's visable during normal low water levels. It's about 4 ft in height. Up stream from this waterfall is mostly native brookie territory, although some rainbows are present. I believe that somebody has transplanted some rainbows into the stream (from the lake) by tossing them up past the waterfall. Normally the planters can't jump past this natural barrier.

LJ
07-18-2007, 06:02 PM
At the Cherry Creek Inlet to the lake, there is a small waterfall that's visable during normal low water levels. It's about 4 ft in height. Up stream from this waterfall is mostly native brookie territory, although some rainbows are present. I believe that somebody has transplanted some rainbows into the stream (from the lake) by tossing them up past the waterfall. Normally the planters can't jump past this natural barrier.

Thats what I was hoping for. I am going to head up there and give it a try. I was there last year and there were two drops to the waterfall. the first one I think was a pretty tall drop ,then it came down to a second drop that was fairly high also. There were alot of Rainbow hanging in there.

Fish_Bully
07-19-2007, 06:29 AM
I recently hiked up Kibbie Ridge to Many Island, Little Bear and Spotted Fawn Lakes. I didn't fish Cherry Creek very close to the lake but furhter upstream was not a worthy destination IMHO. Only fingerlings in both Cherry Creek and Kibbie Creek.

You're close to the Clavey which would be a great place to go. ;)

Thigh Lines,

Flip

fishnallday35
07-19-2007, 08:43 AM
Wish I was going back...it was great warm wheather....we were there last weekend pretty busy lots of jet skiis being stupid and driving too close to others.

Talked to some guys trolling they said flashers and night crawlers at 60 feet. The creek looks almost non existent the lake is low with lots of rocks showing. There were a ton of people shore camping and that made the parking lot FULL all the time.

We fished our favorit two spots with PB and P Eggs....off the bottom got 10+ friday afternoon.....and about 20+ Saturday morning....nice fat 12-14 inch rainbows great fighters. I could not keep them off the line had several hits while I was reeling in ...one time I had one on and three other fish were following it to the boat..pretty cool to see. Good Luck

Fish_R_Us
07-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Fish Bully,

I have done the Kibbie Lk. trip twice before, almost 20 years ago. It's quite a hike and a scenic view from the Top of The Ridge (Stsnislaus NF/Yosemite NP boundry. I caught a large spawning trout (hooked jaws)in Kibbie Creek considering that creek isn't that wide.

I concur with your comment re: The Clavey. Been there many times. Good that it's a Heritage Trout River. We use to have to come in thru the Toulomne City access since the road from top was been washed out from time to time.

LJ
07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
fishnallday, how was the launch ramp? I hope all those people followed you out of there

fishnallday35
07-20-2007, 12:43 PM
LJ

The ramp is fine it's where the paved ramp stops and your backing down onto rocks and a small launch strip thats trickey...if your looking down the ramp the left side has a spot you will have to back in a little then it drops off.....I bet most of the people are gone by Mondays...my buddy is going up sunday also....good luck

LJ
07-23-2007, 09:04 PM
Hi, I just got back this evening after a 4 1/2 hr. drive.
The fishing was pretty darn good . I caught an average of 20 fish a day , going out for a couple hours in the morning and a couple in the evening every day. Most were planters in the 13 " range. Lonest fish was a 17"er. Released all but 5 that were either bleeders ,or that took the hook to deep.
Best fish of the trip by far was a hard fighting 8-10"er. This little guy shook the downrigger with his takedown and pulled the released at the same time while peeling off line in small burst.pole was bent over about a foot or two from the water. I thought maybe I had a big bow on , but after about a minute and a couple good runs here comes this little guy to the surface . It had the best tail I have ever seen, completely full and very large for a small bow , all the fins were in perfect shape also. The ramp was pretty easy going in. I used the one by the dam, when we went to get the boat out the water district has closed that ramp off, so we used the steep ramp off to the right of the paved ramp. all went fine getting it out. It is definetly 4 wheel drive only though to launch now. The lake dropped about 2 feet from Friday till today. Even with real low water levels I still love that place, I am hoping to go back next month if I can.

Fish_R_Us
07-24-2007, 12:27 PM
LJ

Did you check out the Cherry Creek inlet?
Catch any kokes at the rock cliff?

LJ
07-24-2007, 03:17 PM
LJ

Did you check out the Cherry Creek inlet?
Catch any kokes at the rock cliff?

I started up the creek , but the water is way down and the creek is pretty narrow ,I didnt have a spotter to look for rocks, so I turned around .
Didn't try any kokanee fishing , although I was picking them up on the fishfinder , they were located straight off the rock wall in the inlet opening .and farther down the inlet in the middle were the deeper water is. They were 50-60' deep. Caught all of the bows between 20-40 ft. most were at 25ft. and 35ft.

froggie
07-24-2007, 07:14 PM
LJ, Tortuga & I camped at Cherry Lake about 4 summers ago. We did the hike to Lake Eleanor & hung out there awhile swimming & enjoying the scenery. Beautiful place.
Froggie [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

LJ
07-25-2007, 04:12 PM
LJ, Tortuga & I camped at Cherry Lake about 4 summers ago. We did the hike to Lake Eleanor & hung out there awhile swimming & enjoying the scenery. Beautiful place.
Froggie [smiley=cheerleader.gif]

We have made Cherry our yearly vacation spot with the family and friends. We are going back up on the 6th of August for a week (as long as we can get our boats in and out). At that time we will take the hike to Eleanor and up Cherry creek.