PDA

View Full Version : Union Valley

Tracker14
07-23-2007, 10:28 AM
Im going camping at union valley on aug 1, i'll be in the wench creek area. *This will be my first time at the lake. has anyone fished there recently, what lures should catch fish? and what are some good areas? *Im bringing my boat and i do have a downrigger. *any info would be appreciated Thanks

n2trout
07-23-2007, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the boards Tracker14 :)
There are a few recent reports on UVR on the Koke board. Including one of mine ::)
I don't think anyone has really been targeting the trout there lately, but I could be wrong. I also haven't read any recent trout plant reports on the lake lately. That doesn't mean they are not there. I used to fish by Wolf creek from shore all the time when I camped up there. I always did pretty good tossing out power bait or worms and marshmallows . I usually just floated them a few feet off the bottom. If I were trolling for them I would probably try something like Uncle Larry spinners tipped with a crawler about 8 to 10 inches behind a dodger or watermelon sidekick. Maybe scent it with garlic or anise. I would bet the trout are hanging out from 25 to 40 feet. If you are dedicated to trout fishing this trip you might try Icehouse which is before UVR or Loon Lake which is after UVR. Both have been doing well for trout. Once again spinners or even apex's tipped with a crawler are best bet on those lakes. Both lakes are a short distance from UVR, so camping at UVR and fishing the other lakes is a snap. Good luck out there and be sure and post your results ;)

JMat
07-23-2007, 08:27 PM
I agree with N2trout... Right now the only 2 fish I would be targeting are smallmouth but since you said you have a downrigger kokanee would be my fish of choice and has been for the last 4 weeks. If you're looking for tips on kokanee, post on the koke board and you will get alot of help. As for trout at UVR it's alway been incidental, everytime I go trout fishing I get skunked but whenever I'm fishinfg for soemthing else I'll catch a trout or two. The place to fish for wild trout is the lake below the dam called "the Junction". Or there are the other great trout lakes N2trout previously spoke about. Hope this helps.

JMat

Mackattack
07-23-2007, 09:02 PM
Not sure where you will launch but last time i was there set sail from the first launch and went left up that arm to the bouy line and tied off Looked like some kind of power station on the hill above. Sat there in the inflatable powerd by a 1957 3hpr Evin.(took about an hour to get there)it is only 1 mile or so but anyways 1hr 6 beers 5 fish.
Good luck.

Mackattack

Tracker14
07-24-2007, 09:52 AM
thanks guys for all the info. i looked on the kokanee board and some people have been doing pretty well up there. ive never fished for kokanee before but i think i might have to try it. thanks again for the help. ill be sure to post my results when i get back.

Tracker14

johnbfishin
07-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Tracker 14, there is a fest at UV the weekend after the first. That would be a very good time to learn a lot about the lake and the fishing there. I'm sure you'd have fun as well. 8-)

Tracker14
07-24-2007, 03:54 PM
Tracker 14, there is a fest at UV the weekend after the first. That would be a very good time to learn a lot about the lake and the fishing there. I'm sure you'd have fun as well.

ya, i just noticed that. i will be there all 3 days of the fest, im not camping in the same area but oh well. it should be a lot of fun and i might even learn a thing or two

JMat
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Tracker14, The great thing about this fest is you;ll find alot of people willing to teach you how to fish for kokanee and alot of them also specialize in trout and Mackinaw. You'll learn more than you can handle, it'll be great.

JMat