PDA

View Full Version : Silver and Caples Friday 7/20

hunkfisher
07-20-2007, 10:47 PM
Alright boys finally home off from work and have a chance to relax and tell you all how my Friday morning was like. Got up at mom and dads at 430 to get ready stopped at where else but Starbucks and McD's for the breakfast of champions was on the road by 520, got to silver by about 625 lines in at 35 past locations was just the the left of the Kay's launch. and waited and waited and wait threw out a 1/4 oz gold kastmaster as well for nothing walked over to the dam fished behind the buoy line and first cast bump....bump......bump.....BAM!!!! first fish of the day a nice scrappy DFG planter running about 12" immediately picked up my other pole and moved to the dam to fish threw out the white power egg and worm combo and for the entire time i got no zero none hits at all!!! Twas a day of the metal throwers, used only 1/4oz and 1/8oz in any gold variation kastmaster and Lil Cleo and i was catching fish consistently. by about 820 the campers woke up and families and boaters started to grace my presence's ;D, they threw everything at them and finally after i had caught my 15th fish in front of them they politely asked what i was using and of course was happy to share, about 900 things got crowded and i decided to try Caples despite Capts report of zero fish, talked to the guy at the resort said they DFG had stocked the day before and told me the best spots would be the launch ramp and by the causeway dam, said big bows were being caught there with just worms and that's it. so i took my rods over there started throwing my kastmaster worm under a bobber i could see a huge school of fish swimming around except they weren't rainbows come to find out there all brookies running 14 to 17" i was giddy as a school girl i threw out a worm with no weight (they rejected my offering of gold kastmasters) and the fish shot up and tagged the bait every time, must of caught 15 brookies in about 30 Min's what a blast next time i am bringing my fly rod cause they were scooting on top for bugs. what a day had to call it quits at 1030 to get to Jackson to fix my back by 1130, Lotta of traffic coming back but luckily i made it in time *;), i think ill try and fish up there on Tuesday if i can which may be my last trip for some time to come *:'((Capt check your PM's) anyway took some pics but not many hope you enjoyed this report as much as i enjoyed the fishing good luck to all who head out this weekend and be careful saw two nasty accidents coming back to Roseville today one flipped car on Latrobe road and a 6 car head on by the Latrobe exit on 50. Careful out there guys even though you are doesn't mean the idiot next to you is.

Pics from the trip!
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/silver2.jpg
action shot first fish

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/silver3.jpg
this fish is where i started to lose count ;D ;D

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/silver1.jpg
Nice scrappy planter

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Captain Compassion
07-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Alright boys finally home off from work and have a chance to relax and tell you all how my Friday morning was like. ]

Cool. Worms eh? Well Kastmasters worked at Silver. I would have liked some eating Brookies. Nice story and pics.

CC

conrad89
07-21-2007, 08:40 AM
Great story. Man I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. I was the one that wrote the crappy fishing report about Caples and Bear River Lakes a couple of days ago. They must have stocked it the next day!!! Well at least someone did good. It looks like you were fishing from the shore?

Mackattack
07-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Keep it up hunk you have to go north soon.

Mackattack [smiley=worthy.gif]

YakMotor
07-22-2007, 02:45 AM
14 to 17" Brookies? WOW! My favorites for spectacular colors, but I've never caught one over 12". Where's pictures of them?

Good report! You've given me added motivation to escape valley heat.

hunkfisher
07-22-2007, 10:12 AM
Yak i didnt have my phone with me when i fished caples i was guessitmating the size on the ones i saw ill take a pic of the one i took home (well his fillet at least ;D) but yeah it was a great day out there.

Mack-dont i know it 8 days till i leave, 10 days till practice starts, and 32 days till the first game :o, better fish while i can!

Brad "Hunkfisher"

BreakofDawn
07-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Way to go Brad. It looks like you had prefect timing 8-)

cgagex3
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Sounds like a nice trip Brad, I went up Saturday and fished the rock outcropping just past the spillway at Caples. Myself on my pontoon, and another guy splitting time in a float tube with his son. We worked that same area for about 4 hours and it was constant bows in the 10 to 14" range. For me it was all abou the gold, kastmaster, lil cleo, and even an acme thunderbolt. No other color worked but i lost count at about 15 or 16 fish. Kept 2 that didn't look like they would make it for dinner.
The guy on the float tube was trolling wet flies about a foot or two under the surface just kicking around and letting the line drag behind from his fly rod. He was knocking them dead also. They were very active in the top few feet of water. A beautiful day on the water, just a little windy from time to time.
CG

hunkfisher
07-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Yeah hopefully the fishing gods stay with me tomorrow me and capt are headed to silver at 1000 hours tomorrow morning i am going to scoot up on early to fish caples hopefully tie into some of those brookies oh man he was tasty!!!! Ill report when i get back tomorrow, right now i gotta pack and go take one more test >:(,.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Rebel
07-23-2007, 01:38 PM
I was at Silver with a buddy on Sat. morning. We started trolling around 7:30 for a half hour of nothing. We decided to anchor near a hole right across the lake from the dam where the creek runs in. We saw several guys trolling and tried to stay out of there way. We had 8 in two and a half hours and started catch and release. Left around 3:00 with 16 caught for the day and went home with 10. Most were planters but had a nice brown and a good looking native.

Rebel