PDA

View Full Version : truckee river

garrett_s
07-15-2007, 08:15 PM
hi how is the truckee river in reno doing my brother is in a basketball tournament in reno and mydad and i wanted to do some fishing or if there is any other good fishing spots near reno let me know.

Pyramid_Kid
07-15-2007, 10:33 PM
The Truckee river is very fishable right now. Under normal situations the Truckee wouldnt be fishable for a couple of more weeks but the poor snow pack that we had this year has allowed for good summer river fishing.

Pretty much anywhere from Crystal Peak park in Verdi too as far east as youd like to follow the river will produce fish. I would bring a fly rod with an assortment of dry fly's and nymphs. And a light weigh spinning rig with some small spinners size #0-#2. And maybe some rapallas.

garrett_s
07-16-2007, 05:49 AM
thanks

justme
07-16-2007, 06:42 AM
I used to fish the truckee a lot. Mostly the section along 89 between 80 and north shore Tahoe. We used just bounce salmon eggs along the bottom and just kill them. There was one time we had gotten to Reno too early to wake up the people were going to visit so we stopped along 80 just outside of Reno and followed a dirt rode until we came to the river. I could not tell you where it was because I do not remember but the fishing was off the hook. We caught and released over 100 trout between 3 of us. We used barbless hooks and did not touch the fish with our hands. Just pop them off the hook. We were using panther martin spinners with the treble hook taken off and replaced with single hooks with the barb smashed down. All of the fish were hook in the lip and easily released unharmed. Kept us busy until our friends woke up.

Athlete24
07-16-2007, 09:47 AM
I have a question. In the regulations book it says you can fish the Truckee River from 1000 feet behind the dam and Fanny Bridge to Trout Creek under normal regulations (5 fish, any bait ect.). But after Trout Creek joins it is special regulations (only 2 fish over 14", artificial lures with no barbs only). I might try fishing the river in a few weeks but I can't find Trout Creek and was wondering if any of you know where it flows into the Truckee River. Thanks.
P.S. I hope I am not stealing this thread.

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 10:57 AM
I have a question. *In the regulations book it says you can fish the Truckee River from 1000 feet behind the dam and Fanny Bridge to Trout Creek under normal regulations (5 fish, any bait ect.). *But after Trout Creek joins it is special regulations (only 2 fish over 14", artificial lures with no barbs only). *I might try fishing the river in a few weeks but I can't find Trout Creek and was wondering if any of you know where it flows into the Truckee River. *Thanks. *
P.S. I hope I am not stealing this thread.

Trout Creek enters the Truckee a couple of miles downstream (east) of the town or Truckee. This is just downstream of the Truckee River Regional Park.

CC

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 11:13 AM
hi how is the truckee river in reno doing my brother is in a basketball tournament in reno and mydad and i wanted to do some fishing or if there is any other good fishing spots near reno let me know.

The NDOW has been stocking the Truckee River with tons of trout in recient weeks. Mostly in the Reno area and up stream to Verdi.
http://www.ndow.org/fish/stocking/west.shtm

CC

Mackattack
07-16-2007, 08:34 PM
You guys must be talking about a creek i,m not aware of. The Trout Creek I grew up with came into Tahoe on South Shore from High Meadows.It goes under Pioneer Trail under Hy 50 past Al Tahoe Sub Division thru the meadow and it may confluence with the Upper Truckie at Tahoe Keys.???

Mackattack :question

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 08:56 PM
You guys must be talking about a creek i,m not aware of. The Trout Creek I grew up with came into Tahoe on South Shore from High Meadows.It goes under Pioneer Trail under Hy 50 past Al Tahoe Sub Division thru the meadow and it may confluence with the Upper Truckie at Tahoe Keys.???

Yes a different Trout Creek. California Regs 7.50 (b) Alphabetical List of Waters with Special Fishing Regulations (196)(A)(B)(C) and (D) Refer to special fishing regs for the Truckee from 1,000 feet below Tahoe to the Nevada Border. (B) sets the season and off season limits and fishing methods from the Confluence of Trout Creek to the Glenshire Bridge. Below the bridge it's not only barbless hooks but flies only. That's why I always put a hackle on my Panther Martin 8-)

CC

Athlete24
07-17-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the location. *I may try it in a few weeks. I have seen some big trout in there when i wear goggles when we go rafting.
PS what is a hackle?