PDA

View Full Version : The Bare Facts about Lower Bear? (Pics)

Captain Compassion
07-15-2007, 05:27 PM
Today I took a trip to Lower Bear Res. This is a place to which I've never been. I first went to the area near the dam. The water was clear and deep and there were some people fishing off the dam and folks trolling. I fished for a while with no results which seemed true of all those I saw fishing. I talked to one guy dunking worms off the dam *and he said that he had done well on previous days catching small Browns. I saw lots of fish, mostly small, off the dam and on the far side several in the 14" to 18" class. I went to look at the camp ground and I found it quite nice but crowded on a Sunday. I was surprised to see several camps with camp fires blazing. It was my understanding that Camp Fires were banned through out the National Forests because of high fire danger. Next to the resort. I found it well stocked and crowded. There was a nice launch ramp and lots of boats docked. Inside the store/restaurant was nice with some real hog Browns and Macks on the wall. This leaves me with some questions.

1. Is this Lake good for fishing in the spring and fall when the crowds are not there.

2. Where is the best place to fish from the shore.

3. Do they still catch big Browns here?

4. Are Macks avliable from the shore?

CC

Fishing Lower Brear.
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/lbr01.jpg
Lower Bear Boat Dock
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/lbr02.jpg
Hogs on the Wall
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/lbr03.jpg

justme
07-16-2007, 06:47 AM
I have only fished there once and we only caught 1 fish trolling all day long. We used several different lures and flashers but no love. We talked to one of the locals and they said the way to catch fish there is to troll with flashers and a night crawler. Never went back to try it though.

BreakofDawn
07-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Nice pictures capt>

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 07:13 AM
I have only fished there once and we only caught 1 fish trolling all day long. We used several different lures and flashers but no love. We talked to one of the locals and they said the way to catch fish there is to troll with flashers and a night crawler. Never went back to try it though.

If you don't succeed try, try again. There were Jet Ski folks there. I wonder if you can troll off one of those things. Thanks for the repily.

CC

LD
07-16-2007, 07:17 AM
There were Jet Ski folks there. I wonder if you can troll off one of those things.
CC

I have seen one guy at UVR do that one day.
I suppose if you can go slow enough, why not!
LD

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Nice pictures capt>

Thanks sir. New camera. This was the shake down. The pictures are clearer and the colors deeper. This lake seems to me that it might be a good place to fish at BreakofDawn in October. They have a fish tourney the second weekend in September. Evening fishing might be in order the Friday before. 8-)

CC

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 07:27 AM
I have seen one guy at UVR do that one day. I suppose if you can go slow enough, why not!

[smiley=rotfl2.gif] I was only kidding. I think I'll get a float tube. 8-)

CC

cjskier
07-16-2007, 08:22 AM
[left]I was surprised to see several camps with camp fires blazing. It was my understanding that Camp Fires were banned through out the National Forests because of high fire danger.

Camp fires are only allowed in designated camp spots, with fire rings. No campfires, BBQ's or Stoves are allowed outside of a desiganted camp ground.

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Thanks cjskier. I was thinking of going camping next month and a cam without a campfire in the evening just ain't all that fun. Now as I think of it the camp host was selling fire wood as I went into the camp ground.

CC

BreakofDawn
07-16-2007, 11:17 AM
This lake seems to me that it might be a good place to fish at BreakofDawn in October.

I will see you there on Friday ;D ;D

KISSAFISH50
07-16-2007, 11:57 AM
CC,
* * * * *I fished a couple of derbys at bear river, they plant and tag some
huge fish a 41/2-5# trout was needed to cash. but they give out great
raffle and consolation prizes. it was truely a fun event my family enjoyed.
* * * * *I fished the night before the derby one time (not supposed too)
and caught what would have been the winner that time. didn't know
you weren't supposed to. had a great time anyway. nice place to camp

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the info KISSAFISH50. I'm not sure I want to be in the derby and I'm not likely to keep any. I just want to tussle with something big and take a few pics. 8-)

CC

Phishinfool2
07-16-2007, 01:26 PM
Have fished bear several times and only a couple of finned friends to show for it.
According to the locals flashers and worm are a good bet, was there several weeks ago with that set up at 6-8' and 18-12' and not one bite, did see a great number of fish on the finder(unless its broken) but to no avail.
Maybe next time.

Jimbo

hunkfisher
07-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Ahh Bear res. lot of memories from their like a stupid early morning dip just after the ice out, yeah it was cold :o, Capt. there are some great fish to be had in that lake and in the rivers above and below great thing about that area is the river below lotta browns move in to do their spawn dance in late Sept through Oct that move up from Tiger Creek Res or the Moke/Bear River, also early for the Bows who move in to spawn in the spring, and of course C&R on those native/wild fish 8-), in general i am a firm believer in fishing the inlets and just below the dams with big stimulators, glo bugs and scuplin imitations when those fish get all big and golden, put up one heck of a fight two in that small water, remember that stealth is key especially later in the year with low water. Crickets mealies and all black with yellow spots pm work great for your spin set up, there are big fish in there if you go up in october you will find them.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 03:24 PM
Ahh Bear res. lot of memories from their like a stupid early morning dip just after the ice out, yeah it was cold :o,

Polar Bear Club at Lower Bear eh? The lake looked great. Can't wait for fall. Thanks for the info Hunk.

CC

Mackattack
07-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi! Capt. a side note. If you keep going past the CG south past the upper dam the road goes over the hill and down next to a river that has water carved bowls in it(all you need is to heat them up for a great hot tub experience). I,m sure there is fish in there but great pics none the less.

Mackattack [smiley=cop.gif]

Captain Compassion
07-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Hot tubs are vice for old bones. Thanls Mack.

CC

BreakofDawn
07-17-2007, 07:00 AM
just want to tussle with something big and take a few pics.
Thanks Kissafish50 for the information. I wouldn't want to mess up a derby if there are kids involed :)

The_Big_Sinus
07-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I've fished there a ton... Have yet to catch a big one, but I typically get something, at least.

My favorite trip of all time was about 3 years ago- I snowshoed a float tube down to the lake in mid-December and paddled around trolling an F5 until dark. Only caught 4 fish, the biggest being a 16" brown, but I had it all to myself and it was dead still and absoulutely beautiful.

Fishing_Fanatic
07-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Capt.

I have stayed there in May and in September. Yes there are less people in the off months.

I have never caught anything very big there... mostly just planter trout.

you will likely NOT catch Macks from shore... you need to troll on the bottom in the deepest parts of the lake.

In my opinion there are better lake to fish at nearby.. Caples has nice fish for example.

However, the facilities at the resort are nice. (showers, campsites with hookups, restaurant, etc.) You do have to put up with more noise & commotion though..

You didn't mention whether taking family or what if any your other considerations are.... If I weren't taking my wife and showers a top priority I would go to Caples instead.

the other thing to consider is the weather. I have been snowed on at both caples and Silver lake... Bear River is about 1500 feet lower in elevation than Silver lake and about 2500 feet lower than Caples. If going in late Sept or October... you might want to consider this also... Camping could be quite cold at these higher elevations.

Have never stayed at Bear River in full on summer. We are going in 3 weeks. ... Hopefully it won't be too crowded.. We are staying for a week, so am hoping that mid-week it will be less crowded.

Tight lines!!

Captain Compassion
07-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Capt.
I have stayed there in May and in September. *Yes there are less people in the off months.

Thanks for the info. I suspect that you are right. If I want to catch my first Mack then I'm gonna have to troll. I'll save my pennies and go out with a guide on Tahoe or UVR in the Fall. I didn't consider the camping facilities all that much because I live less than 1 hour away. Even closer to Caples and Silver. The kids are gone and it's just the wife who generally doesn't like to camp. I will be fishing Caples, Silver and perhaps Lower Bear heavily in October until I cant get there no more.

CC