PDA

View Full Version : Schaads Resevoir

Phishinfool2
07-11-2007, 11:32 AM
Has anybody been to Schaads? Can you put a boat on it?
Any advice?

Thanks.

Jimbo

The_Big_Sinus
07-11-2007, 12:14 PM
I've been there- it has browns and rainbows. Who knows what depth they might be at this time of year...

You can put a boat into it, but you have to pack it in about 1/4 mi. of easy hiking. There is little accessible shoreline for casting if you don't. You can hike around to the inlet, and if you don't mind a short wet-wade you can access some of the lake there. It's shallow by the dam. The shores are pretty overgrown.

I've been meaning to get back up there with my float tube in the cooler months for, oh, about 3 years, now... Access may also be better than I remember, since when I was there, water was spilling and it was tough to get across the spillway at the dam.

I believe I caught a solo brown about 12" long. It is periodically stocked.

Good luck.

Salvage
07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
Hi,

I've fishing there about over 1 year ago and fishing can be very good if they have just stocked it. DFG usually only stocks it early and infrequently in the spring and I haven't seen any reports of them stocking it this year (and read the stocking report regularly).

Last spring the access road had a serious slippage on a steep slope and the local water district closed the vehicle access to the water. You could still walk in from the entrance gate.

Locals treat it as their private fishing hole but they seem friendly to strangers. One told me that there should be a few nice holdover trout in the deeper depths. It is little out of the way to fish planter trout so it doesn't get a lot of pressure.

Cheers

Mackattack
07-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Thats to bad when old man Schaad was running the program up there the CG was open the bar was open the fishing was awsome. Then he fell on his piano and went to Stream in the Sky(I still miss him and the the bands he had play at the bar and his Willsyville Hare-scambles T-shirt he always wore) A another piece of Heaven gone with someone who brought it a little closer to us

R.I.P Cowboy

bankerbull
07-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Has anybody been to Schaads? Can you put a boat on it?
Any advice?

Thanks.

Jimbo

Is that the lil lake up on the hiway by daffodil hill or in that same mt. range??

Mackattack
07-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Its between West Point and Railroad Flats on Schaads Road on the Moke River.(P.S. good BBQ at WP.)

PapaGreg
07-16-2007, 05:28 AM
8-) You can't walk back to the inlet anymore, the path is overgrown with blackberry bushes and various plants.
The road in is NOT maintained, but it is driveable. NO gas motors, electrics are permitted, there is an unpaved launch, but it's no problem unless the water level is low. If there is any logging operations being conducted, be careful, the road is narrow and only has room for one vehicle.

MackAttack, did you fish there when Rick Schaad was running the place?
He fixed-up the bar and locked the gate to the reservoir to keep the riff-raff out!

They still have the scrambles, believe it's around October sometime.

Mackattack
07-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Yes I fished it then that was about 4 yrs ago. When dad died he closed the bar made the CG private ownership(yearly fees for what ever spot you wanted and you could keep your trailer there all year locked the gate to the lake and almost got throw in jail) The reason is he owns the land but DFG stocks it so you have to allow public access. So I stopped at his house on the way to the lake and made a donation for road improvements/the next year I went up I stopped at his house and gave a good bottle of wine to his wife.Havent been back since.

Mackattack

P.S. Rick is a nice guy I think with his construction buis. he just cant deal with resort aspect.

The_Big_Sinus
07-17-2007, 02:30 PM
You can't walk back to the inlet anymore, the path is overgrown with blackberry bushes and various plants.

If you mean the one by the water on the North/West side, then I believe it... I hiked back out on an ATV trail up the hill and that was MUCH easier going.