PDA

View Full Version : help at stumpy meadows

auburnnater
07-13-2007, 02:41 PM
what to use. taking boat out. do i need down riggers.are there bass as well as trout.

foresthill_fishin
07-13-2007, 03:03 PM
[smiley=birthdays.gif]Well there brother heres the report there are fish there so have a great birthday trip [smiley=swimmingfish.gif].U like that wish I had more info but stumpys on the wrong side of 49 :DO.K well knock em dead hope that new reel comes in hand..........Keep on Trollin foresthill fishin

justhoppen
07-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Down riggers always a good thing this time of year. A lot a people do go without them there. Earily this year I did see a guy in a bass boat catching some bass, but they were really small.

Good luck.

danhood
07-15-2007, 03:34 AM
Yes downriggers are very helpful. Haven't been there this year but plan to.

What I used last year was a Seps watermelon sidekick or watermelon Wild Thing dodger and a threaded worm on a short, 6-8" leader. Also I inject the worm in Pro-cure sent and put some Pro-cure super gel on the dodger. Trolling slow, 1 mph to 1.5 mph will put the "pulse" of the dodger, about 1 bump per second that seemed to work well for me last year.I stayed in about 40-50 ft of water and trolled 20-30 ft deep, along the shorelines. I did the best on the shoreline that's the same side as the ramp, all the way to the area where it starts to narrow, and then I would go over and troll the other shore, down to the cove by the spillway called "always cove." Watch out for a shallow point along the other shoreline at that end. after that you are good to the
spillway.

I got mostly planters but did bring in several good sized holdovers too.

The several times I went I did real well there and bring a camera, there are bald eagles and osprey, and you might get a pic of them picking up a fish if you release one when you see them.

Wouldn't know anything about Bass at the stump.

Mickey_Thomas
07-15-2007, 06:30 AM
There are no Bass in Stumpy, it does have small catfish and some sunfish but Trout is the main target. This time of the year the water has warmed, you can catch a Rainbow on top water at day break, but most of your fish will be at least 40' down. If you don't have riggers at least use leadcore line so you can get down there where the fish are. Night Crawlers behind dodgers always work but I've had some good success on grubs too behind dodgers. Fish the main part of the lake down in front of where Pilot Creek comes in. Have fun, good luck ;)