PDA

View Full Version : Honey Hole Fly Lessons and the 4th

hunkfisher
07-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Well its about time i gave my weekly fishing report and in this weeks edition i have not one but TWO thats right TWO, reports for you ;D. So ill start off with my Fourth of July venture, Stayed in Sutter Creek with Mom and Dad got up around 645 on the road and fishing by 725 after a stop for some fine nutrition at McDonalds and Starbucks *:D, took only my fly rod again to my honey hole, and wasnt i surprised when i drove up and there was about 4 cars parked there :o, oh crap this is going to be bad i thought, walked around and fished a little bit there were about 15 people fishing on the back side where the water comes in so i decided i just find a hole and start to fish it, some guy was giving me crap about using a fly rod say these fish dont eat tiny stuff ;D, ill show him later i picked up a fish right in front of him with one of those tiny things they dont eat ;D...anyway twenty mins go by not a fish to be had then the sun came up and over the trees and the PMD hatch was on, size 14 or 16 on that day I landed three fish in as many casts, including my first bow out of the hole. About 1045 i noticed my feet were getting a bit wet so i observed what was going on and noticed that the temperature was rising, and sure enough PGE needed some power and kicked up the flows to the point where i could not get a decent drift going so about 1230 i packed it in, came back later after dinner for 2 hours before we decided to blow some stuff up ;D, caught three in two hours all about 8" inches and all rainbows fought like they had some shoulders though.
So I couldnt decide where to take my buddy chris on his first fly adventure so i decided to just take him to the spot, of course the night before we had the genius idea of going to a social gathering till 130 and forgetting to realize we had to get up at 430 to leave from sac, like my dad would have told us Dont Be Stupid And Ugly, Just UGLY!!! :D, but alas i got us up and going by 445 after a few hours of sleep and chris had to do a little more sleeping off ;), so i took the scenic route to jackson and we got to eat at 620 fishing by 705 we ran in to a heard of shep that were blocking the road to get in hahahaha it was quite a sight of an f150 being stopped by a hundred or so sheep. Anyway we get down to the honey hole and the water is in perfect conditions low and moving a reasonable pace, we took crickets with us as i decided to build his confidence with a fly rod by drifting bait first to get the hang of a drag free drift and having a better shot early of catching some fish and wouldnt you know it on his first cast BENDO!!! brings in a nice 12" brownie and i go to take a pic and my phone is...Dead so no pics from this trip after the sheep, but anyway we fish this way until theres a hatch on the water he used a grasshopper i useed a yellow humpy and a PMD both in size 14 and ended up landing about 8 fish from a 12" rainbow to a 17"brownie Chris got the hang of the dry fly method and landed three more fish on flys and then switching over to the crickets with the spin gear for 4 more making the totals for both of us around 12 fish on the day each, i had to keep one small rainbow cause he swallowed the cricket deep but Chris took him home was off the water by 1200 ate at Mels in Jackson was back in Sac by 200 Chris had to make the long drive up to Humboldt County that eveing otherwise we would have stayed on the water longer, he says he'll be bringing his fly rod now where ever he goes fishing.

Here are some Pics from the trips

Driving up the lonely road
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road.jpg

Lake was like glass
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/raod1.jpg

Move it Sheep!!
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road3.jpg

Finally ;D
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road2.jpg

Here are some of the fishes
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road4.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road5.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road6.jpg
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road7.jpg

Butte Mountian sunset on a great day of fishing......now its time to go blow stuff up *;D ;D
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h264/bhunk05/road8.jpg

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

foresthill_fishin
07-08-2007, 02:44 PM
:)nice report beautiful fish Maybe Ill give fly fishin a try ................. [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]Keep on trollin

Captain Compassion
07-08-2007, 06:16 PM
Good report and nice fishies. Thanks Hunk

CC

Mackattack
07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Ok Hunk seems like your honey hole has two Hys to get there. At first the pic of the lake I thought Old man Schaads place but then if you told us there would be 30 guys there that said you wont catch any. And that be to much stress for those poor fisherman to take.(your starting to take the lead on my heros list).

Mackattack [smiley=angling.gif]

P.S. Dude keep up the good fishing.

Fish_Bully
07-09-2007, 11:31 AM
Very nice report Hunkfisher, thanks.

McDonalds + Starbucks = Breakfast of Champions!

Tight Lines,

Flip

BreakofDawn
07-09-2007, 12:51 PM
Awesome Hunk! Your honey hole is ohhhhhhhhhhh so sweet!!!!!!!!

hunkfisher
07-09-2007, 08:50 PM
McDonalds + Starbucks = Breakfast of Champions!

Dont I know it ;D ;D

Think i am going to head out again this friday for a little fishing early before i go see the chiro to tweak my back at 10, anybody want to join me???? Flys or spin ill have both.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Salvage
07-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Hi Hunkfisher,

Thanks for the interesting report with enough information to pinpoint the location of your honey hole; travel time from Jackson, the bare ridge and dirt road, and naming who operates the reservoir. *My guess is that you were probably fishing the inlet which can be crowded especially during the weekends. * Someone who lives near there recommended it last year when he saw me returning from Amador. *He definitely recommended fishing with crickets especially when targeting browns.

Good luck Friday. *Heading up to Humboldt Co but I will be looking forward to hearing more.

Cheers,
Salvage *

Mackattack
07-10-2007, 08:50 PM
Between the Hunkster and the Salvager i think they got it pegged. I can only hope I see them on the way uo the hill.

Good fishing guys. We envey you.

Mackattack [smiley=angling.gif] [smiley=bananasplits.gif] [smiley=bananatiedie.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=clap.gif]

fishinator
07-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey brad, great to see you are hitting the fish. Let me know if you want to hook up again w/ gills and I. We are learning some koke fishing this year.

Fishinator

hunkfisher
07-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Salvage---you are a wise man ;D, its a great lake to fish the canal that runs out to sutter creek is nice to fish but tough the fish are wary at times if you want to test your skills go there, yes the crickets and mealies are 1 2 for bait on browns and eggs for the bows.
Phil---yeah man if you are going out in the next friday i am so down to go i only have three weeks left till i go into hell weeks up at HSU love to go man.
Mack---Envy is jealousy's evil sister :D, hey if you want ill be more than glad to show you this beautiful spot i got plenty more that noo body knows about muhahahahahahahaha

Brad "Hunkfisher"

hunkfisher
07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Wahhoooo BIG KAHUNA STATUS 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :D :D [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif] [smiley=appledancing.gif] [smiley=appledancing.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=banana.gif] [smiley=bananachaga.gif] [smiley=bananachaga.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=cheerleader.gif] [smiley=clappingcheesehead.gif] [smiley=clappingcheesehead.gif] [smiley=clappingcheesehead.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=excited.gif] [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif] [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif] [smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif] [smiley=swimmingfish.gif] [smiley=swimmingfish.gif] [smiley=swimmingfish.gif] [smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Brad "Hunka-kahuna"

Salvage
07-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Hunkfisher,

Thanks for confirmation; I thought that the photos looked familar. Caught a few rainbows from there in the past but never targeted the browns there.

If you starting at HSU, congratuations. You will love going to school there. I graduated there and I never got tired of how beautiful the area is. Be careful about taking too much time fishing instead of studying ;)

Cheers

Captain Compassion
07-11-2007, 05:23 AM
Wahhoooo BIG KAHUNA STATUS *]

Do I say Sir now? 8-)

Congrats Hunk
CC

hunkfisher
07-11-2007, 05:30 AM
Do I say Sir now? 8-)

Congrats Hunk
CC
[/left]

Haha not a chance in .......well you know ;D ;D, i am too young for those days yet, *

Salvage ill be too busy to fish in the fall, but those north cost steelies better watch the banks of the eel, mad, van duzen, trinity and smith for my shadow *::) Plus i got a coupe guides who came into work who said they show me the ropes, one guy said i pay for gas and a steak dinner, guess i am a cheap date ;D ;D

Brad "Hunkfisher"

Mackattack
07-12-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the hint (the Hunkmaster now i,m confused I guess your climbing up the Heros of fishing list) keep the pics coming i,ll figure it out some day [smiley=help.gif])

*Good luck on your Northern CPR Mackattack *[smiley=jumpinggroup.gif]