PDA

View Full Version : Indian Creek Evening 7/9/2007 (Pics)

Captain Compassion
07-09-2007, 08:39 PM
The last time I had fished Indian Creek Res. out of Markleeville was the week before Memorial day. I arrived at the lake at 6:45 PM and parked in the boat launch area near the campground. I fished the area around the boat ramp and the steep bank in front of the tent camping area. I had several good strikes on a gold Kastmaster but couldn't connect. The lake was low, the water warm and there were lots of weeds. As the sun slipped behind the mountain there were quite a few fish feeding usually in the weedy area and out of casting range. A person with a float tube and flies might have have done well here. There were also signs of lots of bear activity in the area. I discovered lots of prints and scat right where I was fishing. There were no others fishing the lake that I could see and it was very quiet. With bears in the area perhaps too quiet. 8-) The Camp Host at the campground told me that the Cal DFG is going to install an water airiatation system after the water falls a little more. This will help fish survival in this lower elevation lake.

CC

Indian Creek Res. 7/9/2007
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/ice01.jpg
There be Bears about.
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/ice02.jpg
Indian Creek sunset
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/ice03.jpg

hunkfisher
07-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Nice report and pics capt sorry you didnt get on any fish but at least you got out! Watch out for yogi ;)

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

troutfan
07-10-2007, 02:40 AM
That pond is pretty much a Winter and Spring lake. *The algae growth is really heavy in the summer and fishing is poor.

GCinGV
07-10-2007, 06:53 AM
TF is correct; the bite totally shuts down during the warm months. Most years itís best between about the second week in Oct through April. Even with the high summer water temps there are some surprisingly nice fish to be had at IC during the cold months.
GC

Captain Compassion
07-10-2007, 06:57 AM
That pond is pretty much a Winter and Spring lake. *The algae growth is really heavy in the summer and fishing is poor.

I expected as much but I had to try. It's only 25 minutes from where I live. I did see some hefty trout feeding in the weeds. As I said the DFG is going to put in something this summer that will put more oxygen into the lake. I guess it can't hurt. The trip was enjoyable. It was very peaceful with no boats or other fishermen.

CC

BreakofDawn
07-10-2007, 06:58 AM
I am sorry no fish Capt. :'( But at least you got to go fishing ;D

Jay_R
07-10-2007, 12:06 PM
DFG is not installing the oxyiginator. *It's being done by South Tahoe Improvement District via a grant from the St. Water Resources Control Board in response to the TMDL on the lake. *

Captain Compassion
07-10-2007, 12:51 PM
DFG is not installing the oxyiginator. *It's being done by South Tahoe Improvement District via a grant from the St. Water Resources Control Board in response to the TMDL on the lake. *

Thanks for the correct info. I hope it helps the fishing. There seems to be a lot of nice fish in there.

CC

djh
07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
. It's being done .. in response to the TMDL on the lake.
Jay, you wouldn't happen to know what TMDL's are being exceeded - I think those of us who have eaten a fish or two from ICR would have an interest in knowing.....

billfisher
07-10-2007, 04:04 PM
The problem seems to be too much phosphorous which promotes the growth of things like blue-green algae which can produce toxins that can be harmful to the fish (and to people). The health problem for people would probably come more from drinking the Indian Creek Res. water (who would?) than eating the fish, but the toxins will stress the fish and make them more susceptible to parasites and such which I would not care to eat. There are nice fish to be caught at ICR, and it isn't a bad place to be in the spring and fall (nice place to camp) but I would always practice C&R rather than kill and eat regarless of what the official story is. After all, if it ain't broken what are they trying to fix??

stonesfan
07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
billfisher, where have you been? With that kind of knowledge you

should have been posting long ago. Keep up the good work!

stonesfan

Captain Compassion
07-10-2007, 04:52 PM
The problem seems to be too much phosphorous which promotes the growth of things like blue-green algae which can produce toxins that can be harmful to the fish (and to people).

Ate a couple of them in May. They didn't taste bad. Now I'll be awake all night listening to my heart. 8-) I suspect it's best to stick to smaller stream type trout. They have always tasted the best. Got to find a good Brookie hole in the area. Thanks for the info Billfisher.

CC

Mackattack
07-10-2007, 09:11 PM
Sorry to get back on and old subject Capt. but either you have a small foot or that bear had a big paw?

Captain Compassion
07-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Sorry to get back on and old subject Capt. but either you have a small foot or that bear had a big paw?

9 1/2 Wide. Scarry ain't it? To be fair the Print was in lake shore mud so it might have expanded. I certainly wouldn't want to run into that critter. I started singing opera real loud. 8-)

CC

billfisher
07-11-2007, 01:42 PM
CC I wouldn't lose any sleep over eating a few ICR trout, especially if you caught them in May before the "bloom". Its pretty much a put and take fishery, so the fish should still be strong and healthy at that time of year. But if you start to glow in the dark ..... worry!

Captain Compassion
07-11-2007, 07:25 PM
CC *I wouldn't lose any sleep over eating a few ICR trout, especially if you caught them in May before the "bloom". Its pretty much a put and take fishery, so the fish should still be strong and healthy at that time of year. But if you start to glow in the dark ..... worry!

[smiley=rotfl2.gif]

CC