PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Lakes & Wet Meadows Access

Fish_Bully
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Can anyone provide me with info on how the road conditions are from Blue Lakes (Lower Blue Lake) on Sunset Lakes road into the Wet Meadows trailhead area? Do I need a high clearance vehicle or can I take an ordinary car?

Thanks,

Flip

fishdude76
07-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I wouldn't take an oridnary car back there but a 2wd truck should make it ok. Last time I went (about 3 years ago) the road wasn't that bad. My buddy took is old subaru wagon back there. Have fun lots of brookies back there.

Fish_Bully
07-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Thanks SeventySix, I will be taking my truck just in case. A friend of mine said the Forest Service has really forgotten about this road and that it has gotten really bad. The latest map I have even shows the road terminating into a trail, then back to a road again. :-/

I have never fished Sunset Lakes or Wet Meadows and will probably wet a line (just to see what I can see) but my main purpose is to use this area as a trailhead to hike to where I know there are some nice goldens and cuts.

Tight Lines,

Flip

Mr_Ed
07-11-2007, 07:09 AM
FB;

All the snow is already gone on the golden lake..........

Most of the streams in the area are at August leves or already stagnet.

This year is a lake year, do to the minimum snow falls.

Good luck and don't for get those # 22's ! ;)

Fish_Bully
07-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Yes Mr_Ed you are correct. I've been in the backcountry a few times this year and completely agree. I'm targeting lakes and just looking to shorten my walking distance and elevation gain/loss.

Thanks,
Flip

ddmclw
07-11-2007, 06:01 PM
I wouldent bother puting a line in a wet meadows. There are no fish in there. It use to be a trophy lake but dried up a few years ago . my buddy and i were there fishing for about three hours when a fish and game warden came up to us and said there are no fish in there. no wonder why i have never seen any fish surface there.