PDA

View Full Version : Fishing the West Carson in Hope Valley

kando
07-06-2007, 08:51 AM
Has anyone fished there recently as I am trying to plan a trip for end of next week July 13-15 and want to know if the West Carson is running deep enough to fish or is it a trickle yet? last July it was too low to fish.

thanks
Kando

BreakofDawn
07-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Kando,
Flows yesterday were at 29 FPS. I fished there two weeks ago did pretty good with spinners and flys. I will try and post some photos :)

http://www.graywave.org/sniffer99/IMG_2815.jpg
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer99/IMG_2813.jpg

kando
07-06-2007, 11:39 AM
BreakofDawn

thanks for the reply...nice catch..leave some for me and my son!! ps was it hot there?

kando

BreakofDawn
07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
No we were there around 8 and were gone by 11:00. But Tahoe is breaking records at 89 yesterday and is suppose to to be around the same for the weekend. one thing is for sure, the water is still cold ;D

atavuss
07-06-2007, 02:40 PM
we stayed at Hope Valley resort/campground last weekend, the Carson River is still deep enough to fish around the bridge across the street from the resort. *I did not catch anything there as I prefered to drive to Crater Lake and Scott's lake to fish them. *

kando
07-06-2007, 03:03 PM
atavuss

thanks for the info on the river, how did you do at the lakes?
are the far from Hope valley?

homer
07-06-2007, 10:05 PM
ata, is the road open to Crater Lake?

Captain Compassion
07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Has anyone fished there recently as I am trying to plan a trip for end of next week July 13-15 and want to know if the West Carson is running deep enough to fish or is it a trickle yet? last July it was too low to fish.

The Cal Dfg is stocking the W Carson next week. There should be lots of trout across from the Hope Valley CG and at the 89 bridge. There might also be a County plant of larger trout. I intend to go there at least once next week. I went by both locations today and they both were fishable. I didn't fish but others were there.

CC

kando
07-07-2007, 02:38 PM
thanks all...btw do you know what day they stock the river?

Captain Compassion
07-07-2007, 03:13 PM
thanks all...btw do you know what day they stock the river?

It strikes me that it's usually on or before Wednesday. I've never seen a DFG truck in the valley. The one County stocking where I saw the trout truck from Susanville was on a Wednesday.

CC

BreakofDawn
07-09-2007, 06:54 AM
I took the family to Markelyville this weekend for breakfast (Wolf Creek Inn). On the way home stop and fish the the West fork for an hour. two nice rainbows and one rattle snake about three foot long. There are still some deep hole and you and your son should do well. Just watch out for snakes ;)

kando
07-09-2007, 09:45 AM
BreakofDawn

and to all that answered..thanks a bunch..sounds like me and my son should do okay....either way it is always beautiful up there.

thanks again..good luck!

Kando

atavuss
07-10-2007, 05:47 PM
atavuss

thanks for the info on the river, how did you do at the lakes?
are the far from Hope valley?

got skunked at Scott's lake each time I went there. all the times I have been at Scott's lake it has been very windy. Scott's lake is in the Hope Valley area. a 4WD vehicle makes it easy to get there but a high clearance pickup will work if you are careful.

atavuss
07-10-2007, 05:49 PM
ata, is the road open to Crater Lake?

yes, been open for a few weeks. *you will need a 4x4 for sure to get into Crater Lake. *I also went to the Alhambra and Alpine mines, very interesting area to explore although the old mines are very dangerous. *