PDA

View Full Version : live free or del valle..7/4/07

fulltroutjones
07-05-2007, 07:09 AM
my father in law and I headed out early with *intentions of trollin with leadcore,wich ive never done,and landed one on a needlefish.trolled for three hours,had a few shortbiters and then decided to try and soak some worms..nothin happennin so i threw out berkely gulp,chartruese and it never made it to the bottom , fish on..was a non stop trout train after that..we boated 10 and released 10.from 12 until 2 pm.rooster tails and kastmaster were also workin..one fish looked to be *a salmon ??the one on top was white and chrome and has different sharper teeth..could this be a fingerling from a couple years ago??help me out here fellas
*http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/coydog152/DSC00111-3.jpg

STURIPER
07-05-2007, 09:20 AM
Nice fish!! Thanks for the report.....

fishdude76
07-05-2007, 05:46 PM
Quick and dirty way to tell is if it has a forked tail or black gums.

Otherwise it could just be a light colored rainbow.

joshc40
07-05-2007, 07:03 PM
Looks like a trout to me. My dad caught a similar looking trout, only it was much bigger and prettier. The shape looks for like a rainbow but don't take my word for it. Look at the gums.

fulltroutjones
07-05-2007, 08:33 PM
thanks for the input fellas...I have caught a salmon there before,with the black gums,so that was the first thing we checked..no black gums..it may be just a trout,but it was the strangest coloring on a bow i have seen.when it came out of the water it was half white half silver..and on top 1/2 inch it had the look of a regular rainbow,but it it was definately unlike any rainbow ive seen..

firetrout
07-05-2007, 08:34 PM
That is a salmon. I was there last week and picked one up at the dam. Black gums and forked tail. Great job catching. ;)

steeliejim
07-08-2007, 10:46 AM
A sure way to tell, other than looking for black gums inside the mouth is to count the rays on the anal fin. salmon have more than 12, trout 12 or less. Way to go, BTW.

I was told that Del Valle is going to plant trout throughout the summer.

Jim

johnbfishin
07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
The last time I fished there I caught some trout that were more silver than the typical rainbow you see. It's hard for me to tell from the pic but the tail doesn't look to be forked enough for a salmon. If you didn't see black gums I'd bet on it being a bow.