PDA

View Full Version : WOLF Creek/E.Carson/Markleeville Creek

bankerbull
07-01-2007, 10:49 PM
took the entire day and went up 108 first stopping at the little walker, caught 1 planter, took off and went to markleeville and tried the markleeville creek, caught 2 about 15 inches but saw a lot of nice, big fish in there, lil creek runs right thru markleeville and holds big fish, went to the general store for beverage and saw pics of a 10 yr old boy and his 7 1/2 pounder he just caught yesterday...then went to east carson fished every pool I could manage to get to with my trusty cane and bum knees and caught nothing..threw pm's, roostertails, pb and crawlers..nuttin'''...went home hiway 4 and just before Arnold saw my first bear in the open and crossing hiway and darting into the forest..neat lil chap....I have seen tons of bears in campgrounds(yellowstone) but he was myself and my wifes first bear out in the real world...I think I have NOW seen all wildlife possible..bear, lion, coyote, eagle, raccoon, bobcat, and the trusty FOX...Later all....Steve

phengly
07-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Hit the East fork for two hours on 7-1-07 as well. 4 guys times each limiting out equals 20 fish. *;) Biggest one about 3.5 pounds. What spots were you fishing?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/phengly/IMG_0732.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g184/phengly/IMG_0724.jpg

bankerbull
07-02-2007, 06:11 AM
coming out of Markleeville about 1 mile, i took a few dirt road paths down close to the water but had no luck, but it was about 2 oclock, bad time of the day..nice fish there that you caught...what did ya use? grenades?

Captain Compassion
07-02-2007, 09:32 AM
coming out of Markleeville about 1 mile, i took a few dirt road paths down close to the water but had no luck, but it was about 2 oclock, bad time of the day..nice fish there that you caught...what did ya use? grenades?

I know how you feel about the East Carson. I've fished it 4 times and have only 1 small planter to show for it yet I see folks walking down the river with stringers of fish as long as your arm. :'( I'll keep trying until I figure it out.

BTW where did you fish Markleeville Creek? I know of only two places to access it. Just upstream of the 89 bridge and at the campground.

CC

bankerbull
07-02-2007, 10:49 AM
just outside of markleville going south is a turnoff to some campgrounds....I fished about 75 yards worth of it, nice lil creek...

Captain Compassion
07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
just outside of markleville going south is a turnoff to some campgrounds....I fished about 75 yards worth of it, nice lil creek...

Thanks. It is my understanding that from time to time the Cal DFG stocks excess Cutt brooders from Heenan in that area. I'll take a closer look when I'm next in the area.

CC

bankerbull
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM

Thanks. It is my understanding that from time to time the Cal DFG stocks excess Cutt brooders from Heenan in that area. I'll take a closer look when I'm next in the area.

CC

HEY CAP'N, IS Heenan Lake the same lake that is fenced off and is STRICKLY STATED that you cannot GO near it ?? because of wildlife area..I saw that lake sunday from hiway 4 went down the dirt road and had to go back...

Captain Compassion
07-02-2007, 09:22 PM
[
HEY CAP'N, IS Heenan Lake the same lake that is fenced off *and is STRICKLY STATED that you cannot GO near it ?? because of wildlife area..I saw that lake sunday from hiway 4 *went down the dirt road and had to go back...

Perhaps. Heenan is located on Highway 89 between Highway 4 and Monitor pass and it is a wildlife area but to the best of my knolwedge you can walk in there. I did on May 7th of this year. I walked down to the lake and watched the Golden Eagles, Osprays and the 2 foot long Cutthroat Trout.

If you didn't know Heenan is a hatchery for Lahontan Cutts and it is open for catch and release fishing:

"Only on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from the Friday before Labor Day through the last Sunday in October. Fishing hours: only from sunrise to sunset. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used."

I will be fishing here in the fall.

CC

Heenan 5/7/2007
http://www.graywave.org/sniffer/heenan01.jpg