PDA

View Full Version : Bowman Lake 6/24

fishjunkie
06-29-2007, 05:53 PM
This trip was more camping and working out kinks with some new gear than fishing, but here are a few pieces of info that might help other sniffers...

- toplined for 2-3 hours one evening (hoping for a brown), but nothing

- caught two 8-9" kokanee on silver/blue flashers with hot pink hoochie in about 30 minutes one morning in one of the inlets off the main lake -- fishfinder showed quite a few fish near the bottom here at around 40'-45' feet

- headed to middle dam later in the morning and trolled straight out about half mile -- plenty of fish between 60'-110'. We didn't get any of these so not sure if these were kokes again or trout.

I really like the seclusion of Bowman and proximity to water from campsites, but not the drive in -- anybody recommend a lake with similar characteristics, but an easier drive? I want to get another trip in a couple weekends from now.

Thanks.

Mackattack
06-29-2007, 09:20 PM
Lower Blue Lake off 88 is a PG&E CG and has campsites you can toss a lure from your picnic table. Give it a look I think its on the Places to Fish index. The road is paved all the way in up to first campsite.(so it can be crowded unlike Bowman. Happy trails.

P.S. I have been to Bowman also and the fishing stunk but great scenery.

Mackattack
06-30-2007, 07:19 PM
In fact the fishing was so poor for two days that I went scavenging and found the club head of an old Ken Venturi 3 wood. Now the fun starts I scavenge some more and found a great branch (well a little big on the grip side) so now how to connect them Well back to scavenging and low and behold in the campfire ring by the launch is a threaded piece of stock. We now have all the hardware for a custom club. Four hours latter a leatherman knife and some race tape we got a driver man. Luckly I carry golf balls with me and for a tee we used sticks. This is not a joke I drove a ball from that campsite east of the launch by that big fallen tree near the big granite point up and over the first camp site to the east of the inlet. I,m guessing about 70yrds?(still have the club head but the branch/shaft died a while ago).

Mackattack [smiley=bananatiedie.gif]