PDA

View Full Version : 6/24. *first time ever at caples

underdog63
06-25-2007, 10:08 AM
happy good day to all,

this is my third post hear on the sniffer. *i've been coming here for reports, maps, articles, and such for only a few months now, but man, what a great site. *

i reckon you could say i'm a novice fisherman. *i've been fishing all my life, but not on any kind of a regular basis. * i'm trying to change this. *over the last month i've been out eight times, mostly after the shad on the AR, but i did catch a couple 8" rainbows on the north fork of the american near the confluence while fishing for smallies. *that kinda put me in the mood for trout.

after getting skunked from shore at jenkinson(the day after a plant i might add), i decided i try a lake my friend told me about. *he lives up in volcano and said to head down shake ridge to 88, turn left and stop when you get to caples lake. *he'd never fished there, but he said it was beautiful and right on the highway. *after a little research here at the site, i made it my mission to go there.

yesterday, i left my friend's house around 1700. *i took my time on the way. *i stopped at a little store/bar/restraunt and bought some crawlers. *the guy at the store was stoked i was going to caples. i had no idea about the great vistas up on 88. i stopped again to check out the fire raging over at south shore. *what a flippin' drag that is...

anywho, i got to the dam and out to the point by 1830 and started throwing inflated worms on a sliding sinker. *then i threw worms with eggs...then wroms powerbait and eggs. *after a lost rig, i tied on the blue and silver kastmaster *the guy at the store told me to use. *still nothing. *so i then tied on a brand new panther martin. *first cast and a 10" rainbow could not resist. *took it deep even. *third cast and an 12 brook shows up. *i've never caught a brookie. *good times and what a pretty fish.

a couple more cast and i lost my PM on something. * :'( *after that, i tried a fly with a casting float, some bobber fishing with bait, a repala, and a couple different spinners to no avail.

at 2130 it was getting cold and i was ill prepared to stay later. *i packed up my fish and my gear and sauntered back to the truck. *got back to sac around midnight.

so there is my story. *long, but true. *i am going back there someday soon, and i'd like to maybe get into a few more trout. *not that i'm ungreatful, i just like to catch fish. *any of y'all have any advice for banking at caples? *like i said, i was by the dam(near the "resort"), but some have recomended the spillway and others the creeks. *i did see some folks right at the dam, but i could not tell if they were having any luck.

thanks,

-unde

p.s. *breakfast was good this morning.

Mackattack
06-25-2007, 03:04 PM
All those spot you mention can produce. Next time you go bring a sleeping bag and an ice chest with what ever you prefere(i prefere Bud Light) The wife and I will be there Aug. 1thru 4. Oh yeah the CG is right across from that little resort.

Mackattack [smiley=angling.gif]

underdog63
06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
thanks for the info mackattack. *i'm thinking that staying over is a good idea considering the drive and how good i here the night/morning fishing can be. *i saw someone post that they had had success with the gold kastmasters. *anything you'd recommend?

atavuss
06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
another thought is to rent a boat and troll the lake with a flasher and worm or flasher and rapala, or flasher and a needlefish.......Caples can get very windy at times though which makes for rough water.

troutfan
06-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Welcome aboard Underdog! Great info on your report, keep them coming. Thanks.

AllFishNoWork
06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Have you thought of getting a 2nd pole stamp? That way you could throw lures and soak some bait at athe same time in lakes, as long as you stay relatively close to your to your bait soaking rod.

Mackattack
06-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I usually use power bait off the shore. I also rent a boat when we go there. Typical sierra stuff works.

Phishinfool2
06-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Yea welcome several great ideas have come your way so far. One of which is by the all knowing ALL FISH get a 2 stamp for sure.

One of my favorite places from the bank is just E of the spillway between the bank and the submerged rocks 100yds(or so) out in the lake Rainbow pwr bait works great.
The other area i have heard so much about is the creek that comes in on the east side.

Caples has a great Campground across from the resort which is great to stay at 'cause you can fish at DAYBREAK which i find to be the best of time for Caples.
Bringing or renting a boat is nice if you dont care to get onto the lake til after 7:30(the gate dragon doesnt open til they are good n darn ready ask Attavuss he'll confirm)

Best o luck to ya and keep the reports comin'

Jimbo

underdog63
06-26-2007, 10:43 PM
many thanks to all y'all for the feedback. *i'm going to pick up a second rod tag asap. *as i understand it, it's only for lakes, but that's cool. *between two rods, staying overnight, and maybe renting a boat, i'm getting stoked to go back up there soon.

i'm also gonna pick up a couple gold kastmasters. *seems like they are hot...

cgagex3
06-27-2007, 10:06 AM
udog,
Looking to go up with my pontoon on Friday or Sat myself. Caples is great for camping. If you plan an extended stay camping it is a great base camp at Caples with Red, Woods, Kirkwood, & Silver all within about 15 minute drive for side trips.
Phish is also leading you to a great bank spot, walk out to the point on those big rocks just East of the spillway where you can turn out and park on the side of the road, the water takes a nose dive off that point to deep water. I almost always pull in fish there, and every now and then you can see a big Mac trolling close by along the rocks because of the deep drop off.
Good luck, and the gold KM work great, silver blue has done me welltoo.

CG