PDA

View Full Version : squid trip?

jaf333
12-26-2008, 07:14 PM
Im going squidding on the new sea angler out of Bodega BAYon sunday the 28th if anyones interested... the weather looks good, and the squid reports sound red hot, plus not many people booked ...
hope to see other sniffers out there!!

backbrace17
12-26-2008, 10:34 PM
The backbraceII is squiding off Cypress tomorrow.

crippled
12-27-2008, 11:11 AM
how much would it run you to go out ? :-?

abdiver12
12-27-2008, 12:24 PM
90 bucks plus the squid jigs ($25 for the large, $13 for the small, assuming you don't lose any, $2 for a gunny sack, $15 for a rod and reel, $2 per squid they clean for you) plus tips for the deckhands who are first class and deserve every penny you give them. *The boats out of Emeryville charge $95. *I saw one guy lose three $25 jigs so bring plenty of extra cash or contact me for a cheaper rigging method that works just as well.

ocean_314
12-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Hmm could abdiver be refreing to 1lb diamond jigs with treble hooks. They work much better then the glow jigs. Tie an extra treble hook beneath the hook that comes with the jig. you should see the ones i rigged, Huge umbrella hooks and then a 7/0 treble hook on the bottom.

slick88
01-04-2009, 10:20 PM
I heard that the New Salmon Queen out of Emeryville had 35 squid for 11 guys on Sunday 1-4-08.

ocean_314
01-05-2009, 08:27 AM
New Sea angler went out last weekend and couldnt find any squid. Said that they where all gone.
I would call first and see if anyone is catching anything before booking a trip.

abdiver12
01-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Wow that sucks. Two weeks ago they did about 180 on Sat. and 280 on Sunday. Just goes to show you've got to strike when the iron's hot because they can disappear quick. Glad I got mine!

drinkin_buddy
01-05-2009, 08:11 PM
I would love to go but I have proven not sea worthy on a rock fishing trip out at the Cordel Banks. I chummed for almost seven hours but my abs looked fabulous... ;D Some day I might get brave again but i need to hook up with some good anti nausea pills first....Don

ocean_314
01-06-2009, 07:18 AM
I get sea sick like you do. the only thing that works for me is Bonnie. Its the best seasick pill yet. Havent been seasick since.

drinkin_buddy
01-06-2009, 08:04 PM
I get sea sick like you do. the only thing that works for me is Bonnie. Its the best seasick pill yet. Havent been seasick since.

What's Bonnie?

gmdcdvm
01-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Its Bonine, just another anti-motion sickness medication. There are several choices, and they pretty much have the same mechanism of action.
Dramamine, Dramamine less drousy (its actually a different drug than regular Dramamine), Generic Meclizine, Bonine (brand name Meclizine), Scopolamine patches, and Scopolamine pills. These are probably the most common.

The patch seems to work differently for everyone, and its probably due to different asborption through the skin. Some people get really doped up, and others *don't. The Scopalamine pill works better since you get a more consistent absorption, but you have to take it either two or three times a day. Both of these are prescription only. I have used both, and personally have not noticed a difference where others have noticed a big difference between the patch and pill. Another advantage about the pill is its cheaper and you only use what you need. The patch is placed the day before, and is good for 2 to 3 days which obviously is a bit of a waste if you are only going out for one day. Final Advantage, you can take it a few hours before instead of having to remember to place the patch the night before.

Same goes for all the other pills. From what I hear it all comes down some drugs being more effective for some people. There is no one "miracle" drug, just a lot that people swear by. Unfortunately, its a lot of trial and error some times which means a lot of chumming. There is also the few cursed individuals where no drug seemd to make a difference.

Hope this helps,
Gerry

p.s.
My last squid trip to the Cordell Banks on the New Angler was not pretty. In between storms, confused 10 to 12ft swells coming at us from what seemed like everywhere. Needless to say I was chumming for the second half of the trip, but at least it was WFO on squid.

slick88
01-06-2009, 09:20 PM
If you want Meclizine, I've found it cheaper at Costco and Kaiser pharmacies. It's what I use and find it effective for me and has fewer drowsy side effects than Dramamine 1.

At Costco, it's $7 for 100 pills but may require a call to pre-order since some locations to keep it in stock. Kaiser is about the same price, maybe $1 more, and I've seen it stocked on the pharmacy shelves at the San Francisco location.

Trout_Terminator
01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
just went out of Monterey on a boat and got 4 (all i could bring up :o). If you want to boats name, PM me. The Capitan and crew are awesome, and will work there butts off to get you onto some fish, and make sure that you don't leave empty handed.

ocean_314
01-07-2009, 08:25 AM
I have tried them all and only Bonnie works for me. Its cheap at Walmart something like $4or $5 for 30 pills.

drinkin_buddy
01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks guys for the anti nausea info. I will put it to good use....Don

sethonious
01-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Be careful with some of these anti-nausea meds. It is the only thing that works for my wife and for my mother, but it gives them some serious side effects. It is derived from the jimson weed.

They complain most often of giddiness, drymouth, munchies, dry eyes, and drowsiness (sound familiar anyone? :D). Needless to say they cannot be the Designated Driver on fishing days. Makes them a lot of fun for the camping/fishing weekend, but just don't plan on doing anything that requires snap reflexes (driving, shooting, games of skill) until it wears off. The side effects listed on the box are very real.

abdiver12
01-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I watched a Mythbusters episode where they designed a "seasickness chair" to test out the different medications (with a bucket at the ready) to see which one worked best. The only one that worked for both extremely green test subjects was ginger tablets. I've also had my best results with ginger and there's definitely no side effects. I will definitely give Bonine a go though because I've never tried it yet.

Shot-Gun
01-07-2009, 12:27 PM
for a lot of us ginger works well. Take ginger root pills for 2-3 days before, plus while your out. eat ginger snap cookies and dring ginger ale on the boat. also, no big meals, but lots of smaller ones.

Good luck

gmdcdvm
01-11-2009, 07:08 AM
There is a guy who used to go long range fishing with us. Back in the day he was a serious experimental/recreational drug user. He said the WORST experience of his life was when he took to much Dramamine.

I agree, the side effects can vary. I know when I use a patch the first day I have dry mouth and a little blurred vision, but this goes away after about 12 hours for me. Some have reported even worse experiences.
G