PDA

View Full Version : Rodney Dangerfish Finally Gets Respect (Pyramid)

drstressor
05-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Rodney came over to Reno to put a new solar panel on my camper and we fished Pyramid yesterday. We fished both sides of Fox Bay and found fish at each spot. We ended up with 27 fish at the boat between 7:00 AM and 1:00 PM. It started out really slow. Especially since we spent 15 min untying a Lyman knot. :'( That's the first one I ever got untangled. Only had to cut one leader. :) After we picked up 2 fish on Lymans (1 over 24"), Rodney switched over to his secret "pink panther" spoon and started to really nail them. The the bite turned on at the solunar and then tapered off til 1:00. Most of the fish were caught in 12 - 25 ft of water between 10 and 15 ft on the wire. The fish are just in certain areas. So the trick is to find a group of larger fish and stay with them. The ones from the east side are almost all 22"-25".

Here are some pics of the man and his fish:

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/4389/rodney4ep0.jpg

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/1373/rodney1ua0.jpg

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/9946/rodney2bl4.jpg

http://img118.imageshack.us/img118/3897/rodney3nl6.jpg

Rodney probably caught 20 of those 27 fish on his secret spoon. All those stories about him not catching fish are are apparently just lies told by his jealous friends. :o But he does seem to have some issues with long distance releases, short distance releases, and middle distance releases. He kept saying something about his hook being too small. ;D

Topaz_Tom
05-28-2007, 11:44 AM
Way to Go RD!!! Those are some nice fish. Looks like it was a good day to be on the water. :) Thanks for the report and pics Doc.

krzyfshrmn
05-28-2007, 11:48 AM
I hope you did'nt damage my lucky spoon......... ;)

Mickey_Thomas
05-28-2007, 11:49 AM
I think he caught a King Salmon once on my boat too ;D He was snagged on Krzy line and reeled in a fish on Krzy's line, I think that's how it went ;D ;D ;D Good job on the Cutt's RD, So you installed something on Doc's RV, that's why he took you out ;) Good trade, labor for a fishing trip :D

flatcom
05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
great storytelling, doc. how long will the shallow bite be on?

drstressor
05-28-2007, 12:12 PM
The shallow bite is always on. That's why I have such a problem with people killing fish at Pyramid by fishing deep. The fish that are actively feeding are always in the top 35'. They hold in the cooler deep water and come up to feed for a period of time. Then they go back down to rest until the next feeding cycle.

June has always been one of my best months. I like to troll flies in 4-8 ft of water off the gravel beaches. This is an early morning or evening thing this time of year. Once the shore bite quits, all you need to do is to follow them out to deeper water. They can be suspended over 200 ft of water, but the ones that bite most readily will be no more than 15'-35' down. The ones you see holding down in the thermocline are much harder to catch and you kill most of the ones you release.

Most people give up on Pyramid in May because it gets really slow as the spawners get frustrated and stop feeding. But it always picks up at the end of the month after the fish lose their color and go into their summer feeding patterns.

metalmouth
05-28-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah that Rodney is a crafty one. Always complaining about the respect thing and always catching the most fish. ;D
Glad you guys had a great time!

vvbob
05-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Rodney came over to Reno to put a new solar panel on my camper
Dang Doc, your suppose to be getting ready for a Motorhome, how is that going to happen if the camper has all the latest gadgets??
Spinfisher will be saying "This has everything , what do we need a Motorhome for"??

krzyfshrmn
05-28-2007, 10:28 PM
[quote*It started out really slow. *Especially since we spent 15 min untying a Lyman knot. :'( *That's the first one I ever got untangled. *Only had to cut one leader. :)
[/quote]

I'm sure Tom was mostly at fault for the tangle Doc [smiley=rotfl2.gif]

drstressor
05-28-2007, 10:31 PM
I'm sure Tom was mostly at fault for the tangle Doc

Well, it was his leader wrapped around my line. ;)

freon
05-29-2007, 06:19 AM
Well, it was his leader wrapped around my line
Now that is the Rodney we have come to know and respect ;D

Congrats on the good day on the water, Tom does seem to do good on that lake. ;)
It was nice of you Doc to let him reel in most of the fish on his rod and yours ;) ;D ;D

sunracer1957
05-29-2007, 07:12 AM
Doc

Thanks for the great time on the water ;) and I'm sure the Lyman fubah was my bad I must not have been holding my tounge right or something?? ( keep in mind I wasen't driving the boat ) :P

The lake was awesome in the morning and the winds were supposed to show up around 11:00 but it didn't happen till we got off the water. I finaly got to hit the needles, been wanting to go there for a long time.

My tackle box had about 5 items total in it and Doc was laughing at me cause he kept saying how much harder it was to catch fish this time of year. I used the same spoon we slayed them on at the fest and it proved to work durring the hard fishing as well.

Again Thanks for the great day Doc and looking forward to doing it again sometime...RD

PS: I wondered what happend to 916 he said he was gona meet us at the ramp in the morning and we waited for what seemed like forever for him, that 30 seconds killed me ;D ;D

metalmouth
05-29-2007, 07:19 AM
Ah, the magic spoon! ;) Maybe you should order a bunch of those and set up a concession stand at the ramp. 8-) :-? ;D

PlugROCKSTAR
05-29-2007, 07:23 AM
PS: I wondered what happend to 916 he said he was gona meet us at the ramp in the morning and we waited for what seemed like forever for him, that 30 seconds killed me ;D ;D

Blah Blah Blah Blah.... You didn't want me to go in the 1st place. No invite, No calls. Now i see where i stand.

inside joke between Rodney,Krzyfshrmn and I...

Even an Idiot can catch fish at Pyramid

Nice to see you finally catch some fish there Ole' Buddy Tom. 8-)

sunracer1957
05-29-2007, 07:34 AM
MM

I've been trying to find more of those spoons without much luck, the color is starting to fade on the one we been using, but the darn thing still catches fish,, I was gona try a Pikie but with the spoon working so well I never changed it all day.

CHICKFISHING58
05-29-2007, 07:45 AM
Great report Iím jealous >:(hey Tom what does your spoon look like I want to make sure I have one in my tackle box ;D

chicofishrmen
05-29-2007, 07:52 AM
MM

I've been trying to find more of those spoons without much luck, the color is starting to fade on the one we been using, but the darn thing still catches fish,, I was gona try a Pikie but with the spoon working so well I never changed it all day. *

Tom,

If you give me brand, size & color I'm sure I can find it on the net for ya. http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/grin.gif http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/cool.gif Nice fish!

Mr_Ed
06-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Doc;

Really glad to hear that you and RD had a great day on the lake.

Over 25 fish, holly mackle there Andy !! :o :o 8-)

Sounds like you got all your "fish in a row"............. ;D

I was hoping that our pre scout helped you out ?

Were those chub & Suckers still spawning ?

Thanks for the great pictures and chit chat..

Later Ed