PDA

View Full Version : Oroville

FISHSTALKER
05-16-2007, 03:31 PM
The weatherman changed his wind report last night making today look like it was going to be a bust. He stated 10 mph wind. Anyway, you can't trust those guys worth a darn. The lake was nice today. We did get a couple of hours of wind that made us look for cover but then it flatened out again.

Our launch at the Dam this morning was a near disaster. "I FORGOT THE PLUG".We motored away from the dock and the boat felt heavy and didn't respond well. I asked Al ........ did we put the plug in? Ahhhhhh NO!
To make a long story short and save myself anymore shame, the boats flotation works but the bildge pump didn't. We managed to get the boat back on the trailer as our fishing gear was floating and the rear of the boat was now resting on the main motor skeg.

Once the boat was drained,,,,,, everybody at the launch laughed and said been there done that...... we got underway and had a much better day. The fishing was good and a mixed bag. We started trolling for larger fish Browns or Rainbows. I'm beginning to think they don't exist in this Lake. My Brown Rapala bagged a good Smallmouth and then I put on a Yozuri and hooked a 16" Coho. We then decided it would make sence to go for the Salmon. Needlefish caught more Salmon. All were released except for two bleeders.

It really turned out to be a great day.
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/517/watermark_php.jpeg

chicofishrmen
05-16-2007, 04:13 PM
The weatherman changed his wind report last night making today look like it was going to be a bust. He stated 10 mph wind. Anyway, you can't trust those guys worth a darn. The lake was nice today. We did get a couple of hours of wind that made us look for cover but then it flatened out again.

Our launch at the Dam this morning was a near disaster. "I FORGOT THE PLUG".We motored away from the dock and the boat felt heavy and didn't respond well. I asked Al ........ did we put the plug in? Ahhhhhh NO!
To make a long story short and save myself anymore shame, the boats flotation works but the bildge pump didn't. We managed to get the boat back on the trailer as our fishing gear was floating and the rear of the boat was now resting on the main motor skeg.

Once the boat was drained,,,,,, everybody at the launch laughed and said been there done that...... we got underway and had a much better day. The fishing was good and a mixed bag. We started trolling for larger fish Browns or Rainbows. I'm beginning to think they don't exist in this Lake. My Brown Rapala bagged a good Smallmouth and then I put on a Yozuri and hooked a 16" Coho. We then decided it would make sence to go for the Salmon. Needlefish caught more Salmon. All were released except for two bleeders.

It really turned out to be a great day.

FS,
Sorry the day started out badly. You're right the browns & bows don't exist in Oroville! http://www.fishsniffer.com/forumsyabb2006/Templates/Forum/default/sad.gif Brown's & bows haven't been stocked in years, and I haven't heard of any one catching on in many years, and then it was by people who couldn't tell bows from Coho's.

FishFINattick
05-16-2007, 04:22 PM
LOL!!! Fecal happens!! When I was a kid in the mid
60's my parents would take us to Salton Sea
(Salton Sea Beach Marina to be exact) every
weekend. My brother and I would sit at the boat
launch, eating our ice cream and sipping kids
soda (HOT!!), and watch the people launch their boats.
For a 10-12yr old kid it was quite entertaining.
I don't know how many times we saw the ol'e
"I forgot the plug" routine.

fishrite_friend
05-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Even the pro's forget.
i saw Sep's boat at IVR a few years back do it !!!

AllFishNoWork
05-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Dale- We saw you today as you were heading back towards the ramp, Holly really likes your boat :) I told her "don't worry sweetie, some day I'll get you one just as nice or better" she nearly fell out of the boat [smiley=rotfl2.gif] laughing at me.

Our day started with a disaster as well. Flat tire just as we were leaving. at least the tire store was just across the street. Still it delayed us untill 8am and I'd say we launched right about 10am at the dam.

The weather was indeed great! When we left at 6am, Holly was worried that it would be cool and windy ::) Tonight, she looks like a lobster :-/

Now for our report

Holly was on fire right out of the gate. 2 in the box in the first 15 minutes and ldr one more just after that. I got on the board with a double a short while later and then after trading ldrs I got 2 more to pull ahead. Holly then put 3 strait in the box and I got 1 more for the limits.

Hollys hot set up was a nitecrawler behind a watermelon wild thing(Thanks Homer for that tip) and a green needlefish tipped with P-Line trout bait :o

I had the best luck with a blue & green spinner tipped with worm and a shad needlefish with a worm too. Seemed the coho liked the worms today.

The most consistent depth was 50 feet, a couple came 10 feet either side of that too. The coho were 14-18 inches and chunky!

I have to give 2 thunbs up to the fishery manager, the coho are indeed back and doing well.

kokoloco
05-16-2007, 07:17 PM
Nice save on the boat. ;) If you've fished out of a boat for any length of time, you've done just that. It only takes one time and never again. I'll be headed to Oroville week after next. We did very well there last week. I hope the good bite continues. I didn't know there were no rainbows in Oroville. Well I've only been there once. Live and learn.

Rod Bender
05-16-2007, 07:35 PM
Fishstalker, sorry I didn't get to talk to you more last Friday at Oroville. I was busy on the radio with Loose Goose aka Marty. Great story about the plug. Not sure why anyone takes the plug out. My last boat I had for seven years never took out the plug. My NRs plug nver comes out. I gusess everybody has a reason.

I have caught nice rainbows at Oroville last Sept. trolling for Cohos deep. So I know they are in the lake. We are headed back up on Saturday for some more Coho trolling.

homer
05-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Your welcome Allfish. As to the plug, I did the same thing but didn't say anything about it. Kind of felt dumb as one of the kids ask if I had put the plug in. He is only 9 and how he got so smart in beyond me, knowing his dad. Must get it from his mom.

FISHSTALKER
05-17-2007, 05:03 AM
Brendan - It would have been nice to meet you and Holly. I had my radio on all day but didn't hear any traffic. As far as buying a nice boat, just sign on the dotted line. Life is short and should be enjoyable.

As far as the plug goes, I think the confusion came when I thought my buddy had put the plug in because he was removing the hold down straps and the transom saver. I was setting up the stuff inside the boat. It's the first time in my 62 years that I've almost sunk a boat.
I've left the plug out on other boats but always remember it at the last moment before launch.
The reason I leave the plug out is, when I wash the boat, I wash the boat. ;D
My best Lure yesterday for the Coho was a silver and orange Needlefish. My friend had a rough time. He only caught one for the day.
I did see some huge fish on the bottom. (200') They are most likely Macs.

On the way out of the parking lot, I stopped at the Ranger booth and got two maps of the reservoir (free). One has locations identified for where to catch specific species of fish. The other is a wall hanger with all the facilities and names of places.

c-swirl-sean
05-17-2007, 07:25 AM
Hey Guys,
When you are tipping you needle fish are you using a small piece of crawler or red worm? Also are your needle fish running behind a flasher or dodger of some sort?
Thanks for the clarification.
FTS

chicofishrmen
05-17-2007, 07:46 AM
RodBender,

Your's is the 1st reliable report of rainbows in many years. It is possible that there is still a small self-sustaining population of bows. It is conceivable that they could spawn in one of the streams/rivers that enter the lake, or they could be washed down the Feather from where DF&G still plants bows.

Fishstalker,

I have always wondered what was lurking just off the bottom of the lake in 300'+ of water. They could be macks, which were stocked back in the 70's (I think), now that I've got an electric DR, I might give it a shot one of these days. The lake record mack in 11#'s caught in 1979.

tenasea
05-17-2007, 01:17 PM
In the beginning of March my Nephew caught a 3lb brown off of the log jam point with me.

kokaneemart.com
05-17-2007, 02:13 PM
I had a chance to goet into the good coho bite at Oroville. My friend Gary Durbin and I caught a nice quick limit by 9:00 and released or lost @ 12 more.

Here's Gary with a nive average 17 inch fish going @ 2 lbs...
http://kokaneemart.com/photo/albums/userpics/10001/Gary_with_Oroville_Coho.jpg

And here I am with a nice bragstick of Oroville Cohos....
http://kokaneemart.com/photo/albums/userpics/10001/normal_Ric_with_Oroville_Limit.jpg

The hot lures were Slingblade dodgers in silver and pink followed by UV Apex, UV hoochies and the new Uncle Larry's UV squid in clearblue and pearl.

It was a great day and these are some fun fighting fish!!!

Rod Bender
05-17-2007, 03:24 PM
Way to go Ric, looks like you made it up a day early. Thanks for the mid week report. We will give it a go on Saturday. Good luck at Pedro.

mjkielty
05-17-2007, 05:43 PM
And here I am with a big ? ? for you. *Oh, never mind ! Dog, was your phone out of service also? Mine apparently was. Nice to see that Kokaneemart got the company to amend its vacation policy! I will be out this weekend if Big D will have me.
Glad you had a great day Kokaneemart.

MJK

Mickey_Thomas
05-18-2007, 04:53 PM
Gee Dale, I missed your report completely ::) Sorry about the plug, at least you had someone else to blame ;) ;D ;D Where's your pic's, and why didn't you hear other sniffers on the radio, seems they were talking, maybe your radio isn't working right :o Allfish and Holly, if you guys get another job each you can have Dales boat, but when would you fish if your working all the time? ::) If Holly is anything like Kathy she spends all the money on the Grandkids ;D

Big_D
05-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Kokeneemart,

I thought you had a job now! It must be a good one if you can fish on weekdays!
Good looking photo's of some nice Coho's. Fat tides and man eating giant whales means Stripers are out :o

Good report from Rod Bender on Saturday should be enough to get MJK and I motivated for an expedition for some Sunday Salmon.

Big D

Captain_Morgan
05-19-2007, 09:38 AM
Good report from Rod Bender on Saturday should be enough to get MJK and I motivated for an expedition for some Sunday Salmon.

You might even see me out there too. ;) Maybe.
I'm going to try a new shortcut to the lake through Bangor. Looks like I can save 30 min. I come from Grass Valley. Has anyone gone that way ?

FISHSTALKER
05-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Mickey - I don't stand around taking photos when my boat is sinking. ::)

How can you talk about Kathy that way? You with the new Boat and RV. Talk about spending.............

I asked my friend to take some photos of my fish but there wasn't any pic's of me on the camera. Hmmmm! Maybe because I out fished him. :)
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/509/HPIM0465_452_x_340_.jpg

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/509/HPIM0466_452_x_340_.jpg

chicofishrmen
05-19-2007, 07:38 PM

You might even see me out there too. ;) Maybe.
I'm going to try a new shortcut to the lake through Bangor. Looks like I can save 30 min. I come from Grass Valley. Has anyone gone that way ?

CM, yes I take the Bangor route from Chico to Bullards. IMO, it does save time. BUT the roads suck!!! Untill you hit the Butte Co. line the roads have many potholes, and the entire way it's pretty windy, curvy. But it's better than going Hwy 20 to 70 then through oroville, you'll save 45 minutes at least, plus the scenery is better.

loose_goose
05-20-2007, 08:57 AM
:-[Wow Fishstalker, oroville is starting to be the "did you check all the check-list place".....I too never take my plug out unless I've been in the ocean and have to wash it down real good, then it's back in before I park it.......I'm so affraid of forgetting it......anyway nice job on the fishin part :)

fishintrippz
05-20-2007, 03:38 PM
I caught 2 rainbows last fall fishing the cohos, one weighed in at 4 1/2 pounds, I was happy to show the fish and game guy at the launch ramp! That would be nice if they stocked them too!

Kendra