PDA

View Full Version : Sand Dabs

4bes
12-17-2008, 08:14 AM
Recent posts have indicated that there is a possibility of catching sand dabs off the Fort Baker pier. I am curious as to what is the best time of year to fish for them, incoming or out going tide, and are sabuki (?)rigs appropriate.

I have a friend who loves sand dabs and this would be a great treat for him. He doesn't have the strength get out on the water, so I thought the pier might be an enjoyable experience for him.

Thanks,
4bes

sHoRe_fAnAtIc
12-17-2008, 08:35 AM
The season for Dabbies is generally from Mid December through February... You can use sabiki's, but if you're inside the Golden Gate there is a 3 hook maximum limit (please refer to you regulations book for further details).

The tide doesn't really matter, just as long as it's not ripping in or out it should be good for them.... That's if they are even there in the first place.

Just bait up your hook with squid or anchovies and your good to go...

żżż
12-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm thinking about going out in January on a charter - is it worth doing? Given how lousy the crab season turned out to be, not sure if paying a charter fee just to catch dabs is worth it.

Would you pay to go on a charter for a dab-only trip?

Yaker
12-17-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm thinking about going out in January on a charter - is it worth doing? *Given how lousy the crab season turned out to be, not sure if paying a charter fee just to catch dabs is worth it.

Hey Mooch- I'd have a hard time paying for a sand dab charter. It would be like hiring a boat to take you blue gill fishing.

Its an interesting commentary on the state of our fisheries when the salmon and rock fish charters have to go after sand dabs.

Yaker

żżż
12-17-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm thinking about going out in January on a charter - is it worth doing? *Given how lousy the crab season turned out to be, not sure if paying a charter fee just to catch dabs is worth it.

Hey Mooch- I'd have a hard time paying for a sand dab charter. It would be like hiring a boat to take you blue gill fishing.

Its an interesting commentary on the state of our fisheries when the salmon and rock fish charters have to go after sand dabs.

Yaker

I agree. :(

I'll try for stripers in the delta with a buddy of mine if our schedule aligns. Otherwise I'm lookin' at trout in Seco/Folsom, or doin' the 'dab. The only redeeming quality of doing a 'dab trip is that they are sooooo tasty. They may be small, but I think for pure flavor they are one of the best eating.

But you're right, it's like going on a 'bluegill guide trip'. ;D ;D

cptdarel
12-20-2008, 02:12 AM
No doubt Dabs are one I love myself, for what its worth, Dabs are deep in the winter and come into the shallows to spawn in mid summer, they are very fond of Squid, *number one bait, if your in the bite, cutting up a Dab for bait is an excelent bait also. The fella I bought my boat from fished Dabs commercialy, it wasn't unusual to get 2 to 300lbs in a day in Monterey Bay.

gmdcdvm
12-20-2008, 04:34 PM
last year I tried fort baker several times, but they never showed up in any numbers. Year before that i had some good luck in mid January.

As for a dab and crab trip I guess it depends on how you define what "worth it" means. If you love dabs and want to come home with 20 to 40 dabs then it is definitely worth it. The problem right now is that none of the landings have had enough interest in a dab/crab trip to make a run out. Its probably because crabbing is so bad that most people don't think its worth it. Make sure you call to find out if they are going to make it out since they have been canceling. Personally, given the price of crab and the amount of dabs you can come home with I think its worth it if the crab are around.

Fort Baker is also a good place to catch rock crab. Be careful if you crab because there are a lot of dungies there and they are illegal in the bay. There is also a resident sea lion who will have no problems grabbing your trap and trying to eat the bait.

I plan on going back to Fort Baker some time in early January for a little recon. I'll let you know how it goes.

G

4bes
12-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks to all for responding.
I am planning a fishing trip after Christmas depending on the weather. I will post and let you know how we did on the Fort Baker Pier.

MB_Kevin
12-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Panfish Popper and I were fishing the fort baker Pier and were laughing because the sea lions were dragging there crab nets all over. They had no idea that it was going on. :o I want to try it for sand dabs sometime so let me know if they are hitting. ;)