PDA

View Full Version : Huntington report

Snowtrout
05-01-2007, 07:34 AM
I just got back from fishing Huntington lake for three days. This is the third time I have fished this lake in the past 2 1/2 weeks and the conditions of the lake are making the fishing very difficult. The lake has risen about 20 vertical feet since then and 2 feet while I was there, blowing in lots of debris and blowing out the bite. Water temp is between 46 and 50 degrees depending on what part of the lake you are at and seems to be rising quickly due to the warm weather.

We caught 7 browns between 14 and 19", lost 2 browns at the boat with one around 21-22", and caught two 12-13" rainbows. Most of the browns were very healthy with lots of meat on them and baitfish in their stomachs. We were trolling large rapalas and found that most of the fish wanted the lures fast at 4mph with the best bite was right at sunset. Other boats were on the lake but most seemed to be focusing on the rainbows.

I have heard of no big fish coming out since ice out except for the +3lb brown my cousin caught right at ice out 2 1/2 weeks ago. Hopefully the bite will improve once the lake is filled up (at present rate, means about 2 weeks), the lake stabilizes and the debris has settled on the bottom. I am guessing that memorial day weekend could be a good weekend to try again as lond as the water temps do not go beyond 55 degrees.

On a side note, the road to edison lake has been plowed and will open on friday. Hopefully the browns have been eating since the past two years those fish have been very skinny.

fishon_chris
05-01-2007, 08:08 AM
Byron At least you got in to some fish.Nice to know Edison will be opening up fri.I am planning to be there in two weeks to camp for the weekend and hopefully get in to browns and bows.
Chris :)

jcombs
05-01-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the report. What size rapalas? Depth? Locations?

Snowtrout
05-01-2007, 08:58 AM
jcombs wants info so here it is ;)

Rapalas: size 13 and 18 have worked the past few weeks. Depth: toplining the shorelines out to 25' and downrigging to 40'. Areas: all over with no consistent pattern.

JoeTech
05-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the report, seems like the same report I hurd from a friend of mine who has fished it the past two weekends. Just FYL wishon has opened as well, dont catch many big fish there any more, but still a nice lake to get out of the heat.

Joe

fishon18
05-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Not many reports from Huntington, good job.

Scott

Fish_Bully
05-01-2007, 04:56 PM
Thanks.....everything seems to be getting started early.

Flip

mtalley
05-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the report Byron. I fished huntington a couple weeks ago and had zero hits in about 3 hours of fishing, I was using large AC's but not as fast as you suggest. My buddy caught a bunch of rainbows on almost everything he tried, but nothing big, the fish or the lure. Thanks for the report on Kaiser Pass. A bunch of friends are going to join me and the husband to be for a bachelor party up there in a couple weeks. If we do much fishing I will post the results. Thanks again for the report.

Ironhead
05-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Byron,

Thanks for the report. Great job in stirring up some nice fish in a most difficult lake. This must mean there is no snow left for you. Back to fishing I assume.

Ironhead

Snowtrout
05-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Ironhead, funny you say that because I was snowboarding at Sierra Summit on March 31 but brought my rod and a swimbait to throw from shore just in case there was open water. Boarded till 1pm because the snow turned into sticky slush, saw that there was open water from the chairlifts and off to the lake I went. There was still about 1/3 of the lake iced over but with the warm temps and wind, I knew that it would completely ice out quick. Three days later I was there with my boat, ice was nearly all gone, water temps at 38-41 degrees and my cousin catches 3 browns in the first hour with one going over 3lbs. He had only caught one brown ever in his life before that. Like I said earlier, the water has come up at least 20' vertically and everytime I have seen this happen, the bite turns crapy.