PDA

View Full Version : Hwy 88 Lakes?

griffis_20
04-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Was wondering if any one has been up Hwy 88 recently and checked Bear river res, silver, or caples lake for acessability and fishing reports?
Thanks,
Griff 20

hunkfisher
04-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Bear should be ice free some guy came in to work was talking about some big fish he landed with virtually no ice. I dunno about caples or silver though they're about 3000 feet above bear in elevation but with this weather the ice if theres any should break soon.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

atavuss
04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Was wondering if any one has been up Hwy 88 recently and checked Bear river res, silver, or caples lake *for acessability and fishing reports?
* * Thanks,
* * Griff 20

a co-worker fished Bear River Res. today, said he only had two bites that did not stick, the res. is ice free and there is snow on the mountain top peaks in the area. no information about the higher elevation lakes but I would imagine they are still iced over.

cgagex3
04-27-2007, 08:04 PM
atavuss,
should see you up there in about another month. I know you can't wait to get back like me.

CG

fish_feeder32
04-28-2007, 10:34 AM
I went over the pass yesterday from carson city. and red, and caples are still completly frozen still. Silver is starting to thaw. I give silver 3 weeks and red lake and caples lake at least a month.

atavuss
04-28-2007, 02:07 PM
atavuss,
should see you up there in about another month. I know you can't wait to get back like me.

CG

I am having fun at Amador in the meantime, but I think this weekend will probably be the last shot there with the warmer weather. *and I can't wait to head up the hill! wonder how long we can use the ramp @ Silver lake for free this spring before Kirkwood does something..........

red_perception
04-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Hello from Lake Tahoe, Silver is fishable! Took the attack yak out yesterday morning and broke up some ice! It is still 75% frozen but there is a good amount thawed around the spillway and northeast shore. There is a path now from the east side of the second island up north to the creek inlets. Tried toplining,jigging, and fly fishing but no fish for me. When I got back to shore a dad with a couple boys got a 14" Bow on PB. Another guy I talked with got a limit of Brookies and a Brown in the outlet creek. The pathhttp://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/100_1647.JPGCaples and Red definately frozen.Good luck, Eric :)

SierraSkier
04-30-2007, 08:48 PM
Awsome report Eric, thanks.

Danksta408
05-01-2007, 01:18 AM
You're a savage, E.........That's a beautiful shot, water like fricken glass!!......LOL

gbslade
05-01-2007, 02:43 PM
Just returned from fishing in Hope Valley. W. Carson is running very high. My observations of the lakes on the way home:

Red Lake: Should be ice free in about 1 week.

Caples Lake: Looks like 2 -3 weeks.

Silver Lake: Almost all gone.

Bear River Reservoir: Ice free.

This as of about 2:30 PM PDT today.

troutfan
05-01-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks for the lake by lake update. ;)

atavuss
05-01-2007, 04:57 PM
Just returned from fishing in Hope Valley. W. Carson is running very high. My observations of the lakes on the way home:

Red Lake: Should be ice free in about 1 week.

Caples Lake: Looks like 2 -3 weeks.

Silver Lake: Almost all gone.

Bear River Reservoir: Ice free.

This as of about 2:30 PM PDT today.

thanks for the update! did you happen to notice if the boat ramp at Silver Lake is usable?

gbslade
05-02-2007, 06:50 AM
Yes. We pulled into Kay's Resort to take some photos and a guy had just launched his boat and was in the water near the dam.

fishnallday35
05-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I heard Blue Lakes Road is opened to second gate anyone know how far that is? I can't remember there were so many cattle crossings are those gates?

Anyway should be June ish to be opened but that road seems to take a while to thaw.

gbslade
05-02-2007, 01:50 PM
I don't remember exactly how far up the second gate is, but the third gate is just past where the W. Carson crosses the road. So... the second gate is somewhere between the first campground and the crossing. I hope that helps.