PDA

View Full Version : New Melones

deetben
04-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I am going to be making a trip up to New Melones for some trout fishing. Does anyone have any reports to share?

Martinez Frank
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Look back on the trout board there are some good reports, Welcome to the boards

scottrob33
04-17-2007, 01:47 PM
hey man,

i was up there the weekend of 3/30 and 3/31. fished the night of the 30th, caught two, one rainbow, one bass. came the next morning, caught one, but could have gotten there earlier. i was going off the bottom with powerbait, longer lead, maybe 4-5 ft. i think it may have still been too chilly, but the fish were biting. had my novice friend snagged his bites (missed all 4) we'd a walked with a good amount. let me know how you do and where you go. try and get there early.

snoose
04-17-2007, 04:02 PM
You going with or without a boat? makes a big difference. Kokes should be starting up very soon. It has been real slow lately.

tortuga
04-17-2007, 04:27 PM
If you have a boat you might find a few up between the bridges. As far as bank fishing I've heard they are catching a few in Angels cove. Like Snoose says "it has been reel slow lately".
Good luck and welcome to the boards.
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

snoose
04-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah, and the weather is iffy for this weekend but it is still rainy season. The wind has been up also.

tortuga
04-17-2007, 04:41 PM
We went out in the wind Sunday...We made it all the way from Tuttletown to Rose Island before we headed back to the ramp...The whitecaps were taller than me! (almost I'm pretty short)
Iheard it was better by the bridge but we didn't try.
Tortuga

[smiley=fishing5.gif]

froggie
04-17-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, & I was driving the boat...it felt like we were out on the ocean. Really glad we both had the good sense to agree to come in.
Froggie

snoose
04-17-2007, 07:20 PM
Yeah, and I had the good sense to stay home since I called the Marina for a weather report. [smiley=fencing.gif] It doesn't look good for the rest of the week or the weekend but Monday on looks great. Oh the joys of retirement and mid week fishing.

deetben
04-17-2007, 09:27 PM
Thank you all for the info. My trip is planned for the last weekend in April and I will be camping there for Sat. night. Fishing both Sat. and Sun. I will have a boat, but can still fish the bank if that is where the fish are biting. If anyone gets into the hot color or lure type, I would sure welcome it being passed on. I haven't been to New Melones since last year, but I have always had some success with Apex's for both the trout and kokonee. And finding the right depth helps too. I will check with Glory Hole Sports on my way in to see what they can share about the bite. Thanks again.

FlyWright
04-26-2007, 08:09 AM
Here you go.

http://www.gloryholesports.com/latest_fishing_report.htm

Good luck out there. I'll be there too with the A-net gang. First time for me.

snoose
04-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Wind is up today, Oxbow and I shared a cup of coffee and called it a day without launching. It aint easy to troll at 1 mph in a 15mph wind lol.
Tomorrow is another day.

Allen
04-26-2007, 10:36 AM
Wow

That is pretty sad when you travel that far and Larry and you decide not to launch... I understand the trolling issues, and besides a nice report for those of us needing one, the fish are probably small anyway...lol

Sort of like towing all the way to Bodega and not being able to go out.

I still need to see Oxbow's DR release in action....

Hoping to try Camanche tomorrow with Dad and the boy.

Allen

deetben
04-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Ok, so the trip was fun even if the bite was not red hot. Went up early
Sat. morning and ended up with 3 rainbows and one koke. Caught most on a shad colored apex with a 1" piece of worm on the tip. On Sunday, first fish was about a 15" black bass on the shad apex. After not getting anything for awhile, we moved over to Rose Island and things at least picked up. 4 more rainbows and one sdr for a koke.
Forgot to loosen the drag when I got it close to the boat. Both days we caught most fish right up on top, no weight added to a dodger/apex setup. But we also caught two at around 20 ft and one at 40ft. Is the lake still in the process of turning over? Surface water temp was up to almost 70 degrees in the afternoon. Did not get to see any of the pen raised fish that I was hoping to tangle with. Maybe next time.