PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa 4/28-The other ZOO

Scott R
04-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Today I fished with a friend of mine and his 4 year old son Andrew and my son Matthew. *We fished skier's cove area with 15 hook-ups of which we brought home 8. *Four of the fish were 14" fat kokanee, 2 kings and 2 rainbows. *No real size to the kings or rainbows. *We found two good schools of kokanee and worked them around the boat traffic. *One school was just west of skiers cove and the other was off the point as you head back to Spanish Flat from skier's cove. *Kokes were at 30-42' and all were caught on RGT's in pink and natural behind Crystal Basin Wild Thing mini-dodgers in watermelon and chartreuse tiger. *Corn with Pro-Cure anise and shrimp worked for everything today. *The kings were caught rolling shad at 57'. *Water temp. was 60-62 degrees and we were trolling 1.2-1.5 mph. *Outside temp. was 92 degrees at 1:30 and Spanish Flat was a ZOOOOOOO! *I couldn't get out of there fast *enough. *It was a nice day of fishing and the kids had a great time. *These were some of our fishhttp://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6447/img0148vw5.jpg

fishlipd
04-28-2007, 05:03 PM
nice report. any day with the kids catchin fish is a good day. seems like the lakes have shifted to water sports. bummer! time to head to the mountains.

freon
04-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Fishlipd, I fished over by the dam with Lisa and we took eight home and missed a bunch more, met Fishguts out there and another lurker named Rick, his boat is bad attitude, so we had some nice chatter on the radio. I took a boat ride out to the big island and it was indeed a zoo with the skiers and tubers. Sheriff was coming in as we were leaving, hopefully that calmed them down some. Biggest fish was around three pounds, we had two of them and the same bait as last weekend, white grubs, we must have had ten or twelve missed hits and we lost a bunch on the way in, I must be missing something in the way we are bringing them in. on the water at 7:30 and off around 2:00

Martinez Frank
04-28-2007, 06:49 PM
Nice report, it is good to see Berryessa is still producing. Can't wait to get out there again with the warmer weather the skiers are going to be more plentiful :(

tdrobison
04-28-2007, 08:28 PM
First trip to Berryessa, launched at Markley Cove at 6:30, no boats around the dam, so we hung a left and started looking for boats.

Found a few boats near the narrows, so we dropped two lines with shad down to 70 and 90 ft, top lined a firetiger rapala, and ran a crawer behind a vance dodger.

Caught several trout on the rapala, and 1 small King on the crawler, all released.

We did manage 2 nice Kings, 19" and 20". on the rolled shad at 90', boy they are fun!

Ran back to the dam about 12:00 but no luck there.

It was definitely a Zoo trying to load up at Markley Cove, it took us about 40 minutes to load up and get out of there.

Nice lake and a nice day on the water.

--BlueFin

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3662/berryessakings600x450hh4.jpg

Captain_Morgan
04-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Aren't those kings a blast!! I caught my first one at shasta last year & couldn't believe the pull. They just dive down on ya,great fun.

fishguts
04-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Pretty slow for us on Saturday, a few released furry trout and one lost king by the skiers cove area, nothing by the island and one king at the dam 14 inches and one 22 inches in the narrows on the way home. Shad at 80 and 90 feet.
Nice to chat with Freon yesterday afternoon.
My last trip of the year for Berryessa, at least until late August.

kokaneemart.com
04-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Scott R,

Good job on the kokes! Way to stay with the action despite the traffic, fleas and skis. Looks like matt had some fun also. Thanks for the informative report...now maybe time to look at other lakes with a little less traffic! (or at least slower traffic) ;D