PDA

View Full Version : Freshwater lake salmon

chicofishrmen
04-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Ok, I know this may be blasphemy to you kok diehards, but I've got to ask, pound for pound ( or ounce or ounce) which is the hardest fighting lake dwelling planted salmon?

wkokaneeman
04-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Chicofishrman;

*For me,that's easy,i still don't think any other fish goes NUTS,like a kokanee on line.larger ones head strait for the bottom,ripping off line,and then will surface,and a lot of *aeriels!! smaller one just head to the surface and do aerials!
*But,when you get a large King on,that's a real tussel in it's own right!! *I just talked with Bruce Hamby of "Sierra Sport Fishing" last night about the 10lb. 10oz. King he got for his client last Saturday,and he said he did not know how long it took to land,but they probably should have lost it.it went on several long runs,dove under the boat from one side to the other,and should have busted the line,but made a left turn instead of a right,and he was able to net it.WOW!!!

foresthill_fishin
04-26-2007, 02:43 PM
[smiley=worm.gif]HMmmm kokanee or all of the above sounds good at the end of my line...

aintscared
04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
I would love to see what a 10 lb Koke would fight like ;)!!!

tortuga
04-26-2007, 03:50 PM
Koke is the best eating, Kings the most fun (cuz of the size) to catch. I also would love to try a 8 or 10 pound koke!!!! Pound for pound they fight the hardest!! IMO
Tightlines
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

chicofishrmen
04-26-2007, 04:47 PM
I meant, if you caught a 3 lb. kok, coho, or king which do you believe would fight the hardest? I know a lot of you haven't caught a coho as they are only in Oroville, but IMHO the Coho's put up the best fight.

Troutdraggin
04-26-2007, 05:10 PM
I've caught them all and I'd have to say the Coho can potentially fight the hardest. The kokes eat the best for freshwater. They all have their moments though. In the ocean, I've had more fun with the Coho's than the Kings, especailly with the Cohos twisting and jumping out of the water. You just couldn't keep them. It is so fun to watch. But they all have their day in the sun and can rip off line. I love catching them all.

jacksonlaker
04-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I fished Lake Ontario for many years and the King was king there. They would sometimes strip off 200 yards of line. We would have to pull everything and go after them. Back in the day they would average 20 to 25lbs. The Coho would go 8 to 15. No comparison....The King !!

fish_junky
04-26-2007, 06:53 PM
I went with the king because they fight better and grow to be bigger.

JusTrollin
04-26-2007, 08:30 PM
When you hook a fish 70-100' deep it pops the release & then comes strait to the top & out of the water 3 feet you know your at orville catching coho.Kokanee pull harder to me but cohos are more exciting.

twoelk48
04-27-2007, 04:28 AM
Here I go again dancing to a diffrent drummer, pound for pound I"ll take a Sockeye over the King or the Kokanee. If Sockeye ever got the size of a King you would never land one :). Kent

chicofishrmen
04-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Here I go again dancing to a diffrent drummer, pound for pound I"ll take a Sockeye over the King or the Kokanee. *If Sockeye ever got the size of a King you would never land one :). Kent

Kent,

Are there any sockeye's stocked in CA, or close by?

RiverRider
04-27-2007, 08:29 AM
A koke is a land locked sockeye ;).

chicofishrmen
04-27-2007, 09:10 AM
A koke is a land locked sockeye ;).
This site list them a 2 different species? Doc?

http://www.psf.ca/05salmon/05species.html

flatcom
04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
kokes for a meal and cohos for the fight

Grande_Dan_G
04-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I think they are all better fighters than trout. So why do they still plant trout in some of these lakes that have these salmon in the lake. Most of them don't even come in the boat because no one wants to use up there limit on them. When there are better fish to catch.

chicofishrmen
04-27-2007, 09:52 AM
I think they are all better fighters than trout. *So why do they still plant trout in some of these lakes that have these salmon in the lake. *Most of them don't even come in the boat because no one wants to use up there limit on them. *When there are better fish to catch.

I would suspect it's a $$ issue. For example the Coho in Oroville come from a hatchery in Washington.

Dennis
04-27-2007, 03:33 PM
I've caught all three and there's nothing like a king size for size. If you want aerobatics then it's the coho. If you like twist and turns then it's the koke. It's not called a King just for it's size and looks. ;D

RiverRider
04-27-2007, 03:46 PM
A long long time ago in lakes far and not so far away i.e. Tahoe, sockeye salmon would make there way from the ocean to spawn, when for instance the sierras were formed they were trapped and the lake became there ocean and the creeks i.e. taylor creek became there spawning grounds. Hope that helps.
R.

Ikan_Mas
04-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't think Sockeye ever got as far south as the mid Sierras. I believe (could be wrong though) that Sockeye (Kokenee) were stocked in Tahoe at some point. The only native salmonoid to Tahoe was the Lahontan Cutthroat, which was driven extinct by the turn of the century (Doc correct me if I'm wrong here).

That said, is not a Kokenee a particular type of Sockeye that was trapped in a lake somewhere in Canada by some geological action? Since it was discovered, its been introduced all over the west.

fish_4_alivin
04-29-2007, 08:29 AM
kokes taste better and the kings tend to fight harder! But I have never caught a coho.