PDA

View Full Version : silver fork of american river

garrett_s
04-23-2007, 06:43 PM
where do you park (what campground)
what do you use

JMat
04-23-2007, 07:34 PM
China Flat is the area DFG really stocks but there is good fishing up as far as you can drive or hike. There are some great spots to fish as you drive up Silver Fork Road from Hwy 50. Hope this helps.

JMat

anglinfool
04-24-2007, 08:59 AM
China Flat campground and upstream is the place to be. I fished there last year July but only caught small wild bows as DFG didn't plant much up there. There's a nice pool upstream of Silver Fork campground where I've done quite well, but access to the area by car/suv is difficult as the forest service closed a lot of the dirt trails that off roaders created over the years. Good luck and don't forget to post a report.

I camp and fish up there annually.

JMat
04-24-2007, 08:01 PM
There's some really great fishing about 10 miles from Hwy 50 where Silver Fork Road crosses the river. There a kind of makeshift campground there and some really good fishing once the flows subside a little bit tried to get up there earlier but there was still a little snow one the road and the wife got worrried so we turned around. If you're into hiking a little bit there's some great fishing about 3/4 of a mile up from the bridge, the river flows through some meadows and there are some great pools to fish for wild trout, this is just above the confluence of Silver Creek which comes out of Silver Lake and Caple Creek which obviously comes out of Caples Lake. Some more great fishing can be found with a 2 mile hike up Slver Creek. Alot of good fishing up there if you can get away from the people, which can be tough.

JMat

anglinfool
04-25-2007, 09:29 AM
JMat: I've never been that far up but will definitly give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

upcedarcreek
04-25-2007, 08:37 PM
JMat,
That area can be very good if you hit the water level just right...Watch for snakes tough...Last time i fished there walking out in the almost dark we found three rattlesnakes in the last 200 yds. to the truck.....

gbslade
04-26-2007, 06:23 AM
My wife and I fish the section upstream from where Silver Fork Road crosses the river quite often. Generally, we fish up the Caples Creek side, as the gradient of the Silver Fork gets pretty steep from the confluence upstream. We've caught both rainbows and browns; mostly in the 12" and under range. The "makeshift camprgoud" is supposed to be only trailhead parking, but I've not seen the Forest Service do much enforcement.

The quality of the fishing is highly dependent on the water flows. These are controlled by releases from Caples Lake and Silver Lake. You might check on the release schedule before you go. It doesn't take much for the streams to be blown out.

I am a flyfisher; for me Elk Hair Caddis dry flies do very well. Hairs Ear nymphs have also been productive. My wife is a lure fisher. Very samll Super Dupers, gold (nickel) with the red tip are her go to lure.

Good luck.

windknot51
04-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Have any of you guys fished Silver Creek below Ice House? How's the fishing compared to the Silver Fork? Thanks!