PDA

View Full Version : trout in C J Strike Reservoir-SW Idaho

krazybob
04-23-2007, 07:24 AM
I see very few posts from fishermen from Idaho. :( Being that I'm a new transplant to the SW area from Nevada, I was hoping I would have a few local fishermen that I could pick their brains as to the local fishing holes :-? Living in Mtn. Home, I have close access to C J Strike, and so far not having any luck trolling for trout there. I've used all the different methods that have always worked for me in the past at the Nevada lakes, but fishing C J must take a different approach which I'm still looking for. Mainly this post is a rant, out of flustration ::)
Krazybob

tortuga
04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Find somebody that is catching them and follow them around or get out the binoculars. I tried a few lakes in Idaho and had terrible luck until I went down to the local bait shop and admitted I just plain needed help. They were more than happy to sell me what I needed.
Good Luck
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

tyeroflies
04-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I lived in Boise 1989-1995 and never had much luck at CJ Strike. *Sorry to report out like this, but I gotta be honest. *Always had decent results at Lucky Peak Res and Arrowrock Res. *Just a 50 minute drive up 84 *;)

Tyer

krazybob
04-24-2007, 03:43 PM
I lived in Boise 1989-1995 and never had much luck at CJ Strike. *Sorry to report out like this, but I gotta be honest. *Always had decent results at Lucky Peak Res and Arrowrock Res. *Just a 50 minute drive up 84 *;)

Tyer

We went out today trolling once more for trout. The fish were holding from 20-30 ft. There were two poles rigged with 2 oz banana weights, small spinner pop gear, one with a wedding ring and worm, the other with small spinner pop gear, 2 oz banana weight, and a rooster tail. Another pole had a very small banana weight, and a broken back Rapala. We were trolling between 1.5 and 1.7mph. No wind to speak of. I picked up a small mouth about 2# with the rooster tail, and another about 1# on the Rapala. So then we thought we would see if we could catch a bass or perch or blue gill sitting along the shore with slip sinker and worm/marshmellow combo. One perch, and one heck of a big carp ;D Never talked to anyone who caught any trout :( Next trip will be to Anderson Ranch Reservoir, I hear the kokanee are starting to hit :)
Krazybob

viper2
04-24-2007, 03:54 PM
I fished up there last Summer. All we caught were perch and catfish.

krazybob
04-24-2007, 07:09 PM
I fished up there last Summer. All we caught were perch and catfish.

I'll tell you one thing, that carp put up a heck of a fight :o I thought I had hooked a big cat fish, dang near wore my arm out ;D
Futher more, I'm going to fillet that critter and deep fry him and see what he tastes like, it would be the first time I've tried carp, altho I've talked to others that have and they say if you can get by the bones, it is a tasty fish :)
Krazybob

Desertdog
04-24-2007, 07:34 PM
Sent yo a PM Krazybod

krazybob
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM

Tyer

I've heard that too, and given enough time, I plan on sooner or later hitting them all. So much water, so little time ;D
Krazybob

Rastaman
04-25-2007, 01:54 PM
I lived in Boise 76-90. I fished all over including CJ. I fly fished most of the time and caught average size fish, usually on a brown damsel or leech. Head on down to the Indian Reservation, Sheep Creek Reservoir
has lots of strong fighting fish, corn and a marshmellow.

krazybob
04-25-2007, 07:20 PM
I lived in Boise 76-90. *I fished all over including CJ. *I fly fished most of the time and caught average size fish, usually on a brown damsel or leech. *Head on down to the Indian Reservation, Sheep Creek Reservoir
has lots of strong fighting fish, corn and a marshmellow.

Well about the only rod I haven't tried is my 6 weight, maybe that will change my luck ;D I figured on doing some fly fishing on the Boise River above Anderson Ranch pretty soon. The water is in great shape from what I saw a couple of weeks ago when I was there. :)
Krazybob