PDA

View Full Version : Pine Flat Kings

jcombs
04-23-2007, 03:42 PM
I was just wondering how big those Pine Flat king salmon will get. I read on another thread that someone caught a 10 pounder out of Don Pedro and I know McClure and Berryessa have been kicking out some nice ones as well. Also, how long does it take for them to reach their full potential?

fishon_chris
04-23-2007, 03:53 PM
Ok Pine Flat kings could get 4 to 6lbs if people relese them right now.I try not to keep any kings under 2lbs unless they bleed.Two weeks ago I was catching kings out of McClure to 4lbs.They were averaging 2 to 3lbs.I know there are a alot bigger ones in there.
The fish we are seeing right now out of pine flat I beleve are on there second or third year.I think they planted some the year after the ones we are catching now so if there is more smaller ones its better for the fishery.I figure by the fall the kings will maby be 3Lbs.Right now they are allmost 2lbs.Last week in the kokanee power our biggest king went.1lbs 14oz.
I know there is even bigger fish in Don Pedro thanks tosome pictures we have been seeing.

Chris :)

jcombs
04-23-2007, 04:12 PM
So how many years do landlocked king salmon live?

fishon_chris
04-23-2007, 04:19 PM
I think 3 to 4 years :-/

Chris :)

jcombs
04-23-2007, 04:28 PM
They will have to grow awfully quick to reach 6 pounds in one more year. I hope that people release them and they have time to grow throughout the summer.

Ironhead
04-23-2007, 04:56 PM
I was under the assumption these fish were 4 year fish with this being there second year. Some one correct me if I am wrong. Next year you would see some 4 to 6 lb fish, in the fall and the following year some bigger ones. Why would you even target these fish, they are down over 100 feet. Nobody even fished that deep in this lake until this year.( or in the past when they planted the kings many years ago) You would not have to release them if you were not catching them. If we want a fishery like McClure and Pedro, you have to let these fish mature. Ask ourselves what entices us to fish those waters. I can tell you, 10 lb kings. If you drag fish up from 160 feet, what is the survival rate? Just my thoughts, sacrifice now for some excellent fishing down the road. The people on shore can not get to these fish on a regular basis.

Ironhead

jcombs
04-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Ironhead-

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you suggesting that we don't target the kings right now even if we are practicing catch and release? I do not know what the survival rate is for a king pulled up from a 100 ft but I have caught the majority of my kings at 40 ft and up. They swim away fine. Just wondering...

JC

jcombs
04-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Just had another thought. Without the kings, Pine Flat has not been worth targeting lately. The bows are extremely small. Could it be that the kings are eating all of the shad? Where are the nice holdover bows we have seen in past years?

Ironhead
04-23-2007, 05:31 PM
This not just a Pine Flat situation. Melones, McClure, Pedro to name a few around here. If you look at this closely, it is the lakes that they put a lot of kokanee in. They eat the food the shad eat. Just a thought.

Ironhead

Ironhead
04-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Ironhead-

Correct me if I am wrong, but are you suggesting that we don't target the kings right now even if we are practicing catch and release? I do not know what the survival rate is for a king pulled up from a 100 ft but I have caught the majority of my kings at 40 ft and up. They swim away fine. Just wondering...

JC

All the studies done on catch and release, talked about on these boards numerous times, no matter what, it is not good. Bass, Catfish good rate, kings, trout, kokes not good. I know they are in the top 40 feet sometimes during the year but not all the time. I believe Doc said the surface water temps play the biggest role. Even if they swim off does not mean they are healthy. Two to three days tells the story. Trout will not bite on a regular basis below 60 feet, so why pull lures at 80 to 200 feet? It is obvious what you are targeting. I know fishing has been bad, and when you see fish at 80 feet, you want to target them, but we have to be disciplined. I know this will rub some people the wrong way, and they can fish for what ever they want, that is there choice, this is just my opinion on trying to build a excellent fishery. In a couple of years we could have some of the best king fishing around. The kokes will not survive PF, they are to small (when planted) and the bass will eat all of them up. (small mouth gourmet) 30,000 this year, we will see how many are caught or talked about in the years to come.

Ironhead

Viking
04-24-2007, 11:59 AM
Both shad and kokanee feed on zooplankton and occasional insects. The trout and kings feed on the shad. PF doesn't have as large of a shad population as New Melones, Don Pedro, or McClure, because it doen't have as much zooplankton. *That's why the trout in PF don't get as big as those other lakes, so I wouldn't expect the kings to as large in the same time period. I would expect kings in the 5-6lb, range at maturity (4 yrs.), but I don't think that you will see anything larger. That's why the Kokanee are perpetually small in Pardee. If the lake water is very clear and high visability, like Tahoe, there is a lack of plankton and baitfish.
Angerwest just aired PF show last Sat. morning showing a local guide and Gary Miralles targeting the kings and limiting out on small kings. After the PF segment, it showed Miralles targeting trout in the Pit River arm trolling right through very dirty brown plankton blooms. After years of ignoring such blooms, Miralles figured out that the blooms attracted shad which attracted the trout. Sure enough, they caught some big fat trout trolling right through or around those plankton blooms.

I don't think that PF has the quantity of plankton, because it is narrow and there is too much water movement through the lake vertically and horizontly. Need to ask a marine biologist about this stuff.

Took a group boy scouts 50 miles along the John Muir trail many years ago. Beautiful small crystal clear lakes along the way. Void of plankton. Only a few small golden trout planted by plane that fed on insects. *

Viking

JoeTech
04-25-2007, 08:41 AM
Well said guys, the only way to get a good fishery is to let the small one grow up to be big boys.

Joe