PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa 4/20 working hard for limmits today

Rod Bender
04-21-2007, 03:53 AM
Sorry for the late post, had trouble downloading pics from my digital camera last night. Wanted to include some nice pics but still haven't figured it out yet.

I took Empire in my boat and we joined FisherMunn and Freddie for a try at some kings. We were all ready for a raining day, and eneded up a perfect day. Not much traffic on the water today, I think the reports of rain kept all the boats off the water.

It was a slow start, for the first hour nothing, didn't even mark that many fish. Then the dinner bell went off and both FisherMunn and I were hooking up. Best depth today was 70 in the morning and 90 at about noon.

We had about 20 hookups, 10 to the boat and 8 in the box 16-20". FisherMunn had about the same results. Kings were caught on rolled shad and white humdiners behind slingblades. Our top five kings went 11.5lbs. Empire was impressed with the size of kings and the great fight.

The only picture I could post was one sent to me by Empire via an email. Hopefully Al can post a few more pics.

Our best five kings
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/501/Berryessa_4_20_07.jpg

troutfan
04-21-2007, 04:16 AM
Nice report and nice fish! :)

Grande_Dan_G
04-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Good report we can always coount on you for those pre-weekend worrier reports.

Empire
04-21-2007, 06:59 AM
What a day it was!

Rod Bender knew where the fish would be and was on them. I learned lots of new stuff which I am excited to try at Folsom. RodBender learned about a feature on his fishfinder, "Stop Chart" and why it will make him a better fisherman. ;)

Between fish we dined on roast beef sandwiches with carmelized onions on a dutch crust roll.

Thank you Rod Bender! Next stop...UVR.

mjkielty
04-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Great job Rod Bender and crew! Man we have come a long way huh? You title the post, "working hard for limits" as if limits are now a given! That stringer is awesome. Most people would die for that photo buddy.
Till next time, tight lines,

MJK

froggie
04-21-2007, 09:48 AM
WOW, again I am green with envy!!
Tortuga wants to try the drive to Berryessa from Sonora, just to try for some of those beauties. We lived in Lake County for 2 years when 1st moving to CA from New Mexico, & fished Berryessa & Indian Valley. But, we have learned a lot about fishing in CA since then.
Froggie [smiley=elmo.gif]

Koke_Machine
04-21-2007, 10:14 AM
Rod Bender - That's what I call another "successful" day on the water. Wow, can you imagine the size of Kings that "Berry" will have next year? Each year they seem to be getting bigger and bigger and there are definitely a lot more now in there than ever before! Great job and keep the posts with photos coming. Those of us that can't get out there that often enjoy (with envy) your almost daily posts ;) I look forward to seeing you out there!!

HUND
04-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Those are some hogs ... I may have to make one more trip !

camotracker
04-21-2007, 12:52 PM
wow rodbender, nice looking fish bud. working ahrd for them turned out really nice.

Captain_Morgan
04-21-2007, 01:53 PM
Very nice looking limit. Was that Empires first King? I love the fight on lite tackle,what a blast!

egrammer
04-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Right on Rod bender. We can always count on great reports from you. I was one of the chicken @##%'s that didn't go because of the rain. Next weekend rain or shine!!! Eric

tortuga
04-21-2007, 04:39 PM
I can not believe I am missing out on the kings. That is an awesome mess of fish. Thanks for sharing....I think. It almost hurts to look and not touch.
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

Munnster
04-21-2007, 05:58 PM
Good day at Berryessa on Friday.! I think many were turned away with the forecast of rain. The lake ended up being like glass with no rain. We ended with limits to 21" but not like the hot bite experienced over the last 2 weeks. Enjoyed conversation on the radio with my buddy Rod Bender and his guest Empire. Hot lures were sling blades with humdingers and rolled shad. It's time to go find the fish as they are on the move!! Anyone there on Sunday? Look for Rod bender and myself there for hopefully a good report. Yes, we are actually going to fish together for a change! Until then - see you on the water.

Fisher-Munn

freon
04-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Hey guys great report, we only pulled a couple in the boat and they were no where near as big as yours, but it was nice out there. It was very windy though over by the dam, what neck of the woods were you fishing in, if its okay to ask that?

Rod Bender
04-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Freon,
BigD told me that he ran into you at the ramp. We fished the same area that you did today. This weather may have something to do with the bite slowing down. Glad you got out on Berryessa, the bite will turn on again soon. Warmer weather headed our way next week.

freon
04-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Seems like we keep fishing the same water at the same time and still dont meet up, we had the same problem fishing verona last fall ;)
I did try and talk to another sniffer today on the vhf, but his handle started with fish, couldnt get the rest he was too far away.
Hey, what is a humdinger? Since I have never been one for kings or kokes (but I am correcting that ) I have never heard of this lure?
Thanks.

kokoloco
04-21-2007, 07:58 PM
Outstanding Rod Bender. ;) You alway find the fish. And always seems to be the big ones. I bet Empire had a blast reeling those monsters in. I'll be up there on Wednesday so I hope you left a few for me. PS thanks for the ride over to Elkhorn Bait/Sportsmans Warehouse today. That was a lot of fun (and informative). Good luck to you and Ken on Sunday.

Sam

Big_D
04-22-2007, 09:00 AM
Rod Bender,

Your timing was good for your trip to Berryessa! That photo of you with those nice King's, flat water and pretty Blue sky would have been hard to duplicate Saturday morning. About 15 other boats, Freon and I had overcast Grey sky's and some cold nasty wind to contend with. While the wind was not the 25mph, gusting to 35 mph we dealt with on the West Bank, at times it seemed like it :o
On top of the crappy weather the King's were not in a good mood. Fish seemed to be scattered since my last visit. Didn't mark any large schools like we have been seeing. Pretty much a scratch bite with most everyone getting a few fish. I managed to C&R two small ones, kept two 19" for dinner and had another 3 or 4 come unbuttoned. Not a total bust, but certainly nothing like it had been.
Got to visit with Freon and his first mate at the ramp and on the lake and learned a new knot ;)

Maybe after this weather pattern changes the King's will hear the "Dinner Bell"

Maybe today?

Big D