PDA

View Full Version : Berryessa, 4/15 - Not so great today :(

fishon_gethenet
04-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Well I read all the reports about the King bite near the dam this week and did what any stubborn fisherman would do...fished Skiers Cove. *:'(

Since we've done so well out there this month I just assumed it would be more of the same. That wasn't the case. Now for the excuses..first, the wind was ridiculous. You know it's rough when the kicker prop pops out of the water while you're trolling. *I couldn't keep the boat straight at all. We did manage to hook into at least 6 fish but lost 5 at the boat. * :'( :-/

I was fishing with my buddy and his son and really wanted to get them on the fish but it was a challenge. We used humdingers with sling blades, my "old lucky" fluorescent needlefish, cripplelures, hoochies, etc. Fished depths between 40-80 water temp was 60.

Traded info with Fishermunn throughout the day. The moral of the story...follow the sniffer reports! *:o

HUND
04-15-2007, 08:29 PM
A friend of mine went ,,,I hope the wind didn't get the better of him

You didn't see a camo G-3 with a black lab on it did you ??

Ol Angi
04-16-2007, 05:26 AM

You didn't see a camo G-3 with a black lab on it did you ?? *

OMG!!!!!!! In a 16' flat bottom boat, all I was worried about was getting to the launch ramp without flipping the boat over. Swells were coming over the side of the boat. That is when it is time to go home. We managed to catch 3 trout and a smallmouth. All around Skiers Cove. It was pretty scary goin back to Cappel Cove in that boat. I was eyeing that life vest the whole time. The funny thing about it was this was the first time all year I did not check the weather report.

HUND
04-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Kinda like the time we where out the gate :o

Should of went turkey hunting ;)

Ol Angi
04-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Kinda like the time we where out the gate *:o

Should of went turkey hunting *;)

Exactly!!!!!

I saw three toms about 20 yards away from the launch ramp Just standin there gobblin like crazy. We even tried trolling around the launch ramp and it was too windy.

I think I'm gonna need a bigger boat!!!

kokoloco
04-16-2007, 07:21 AM

You didn't see a camo G-3 with a black lab on it did you ?? *

OMG!!!!!!! *In a 16' flat bottom boat, all I was worried about was getting to the launch ramp without flipping the boat over. *Swells were coming over the side of the boat. *That is when it is time to go home. * We managed to catch 3 trout and a smallmouth. *All around Skiers Cove. *It was pretty scary goin back to Cappel Cove in that boat. *I was eyeing that life vest the whole time. *The funny thing about it was this was the first time all year I did not check the weather report. *

You should have been "wearing" that life jacket. Berryessa can get so mean that it looks like the north Atlantic out there. There's no place to hide when it gets nasty except small coves and to get to the small coves you have to navigate the big water where all the swells are. Sounds like you did OK for the most part........you caught fish and got home alive. ;) See ya on the water.

Sam

fishon_gethenet
04-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Cracker Jacks, I'm pretty sure I saw your buddy out there with the black lab. He was fishing the small outlet to the right of Skier's Cove. We went in there for awhile to get away from the wind and waves. I think he also a second passenger if I remember correctly?

HUND
04-16-2007, 08:38 AM
From the sound of it all their butt holes where puckerd up on that trip ! ;D

Ol Angi
04-16-2007, 12:00 PM
I just need to check the weather report before I go out in conditions like that again. Or, maybe hook up with a fellow Sniffer with a bigger boat..... And yes, I will leave the dog at home.

HUND
04-16-2007, 03:46 PM
If you don't mind towing my boat we can go next weekend !!

I'll check the weather report :-?

froggie
04-16-2007, 03:50 PM
We had the same weather conditions out on New Melones Sunday. Barely got out by Rose Island, turned the boat around & knew it was way too dangerous to be trying to troll. Never even got our poles in the water. Just headed straight back to the dock. Whitecaps & waves felt like we were on the ocean goin' salmon fishing. Oh well, there will always be another day!!
Froggie

maui_mark
04-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Good attitude Froggy. Glad you all made it back in safely. That IS the important thing. No matter how much I love to fish, getting home safe is the priority, even if just to try going out again later or the next day. When the water gets rough, don't be embarassed to put on the vest or flotation device. It's much more embarassing to be dead. That's what Gramp's used to say...
Stay safe and catch 'em! Good luck all. mm