PDA

View Full Version : Chabot Report 4/15…..

ol_dude
04-15-2007, 12:26 PM
Weather report said wind… Thought I would sit it out… Got up early and it seemed okay so I went anyway… On the water at 7:30am swimmin’ the usual lures… first hookup at 7:45 – 2lber… 8:00am whammo in Half Moon at 23ft… Frankenfish…. Just over 9lbs…. tried to release – just floated belly up… first fish I’ve kept in a while… C&R’d 5 more for a total of 7 and headed back in by 11:30… The wind did finally blowing hard enough to call it a day… Not a complete loss… turns out ol’ frank put me in second place for the Derby… although I’m sure that won’t last long… marked several more large blips for someone else to hook….

setemNnetem
04-15-2007, 01:36 PM
wow great job ol dude! hopefully we can get out trollin sometime :) Congrats on the biggun'!

ol_dude
04-15-2007, 02:16 PM
Thanks Jared… just PM me and let me know your schedule a week or so in advance… and if we can’t fish together, I’m usually at Chabot on Sunday mornings… You have proven to be one of the most persistent Chabot angler’s looking for an edge… and I’m happy to help… I’ll even put together a “Chabot Trollin’ Kit” for you…. Once you understand this lake a little bit better from a trolling perspective and fish movement patterns – you can even improve your bank fishing opportunities… Or at least how it works for me….

Kid_Dynamite
04-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Weather report said wind… Thought I would sit it out… Got up early and it seemed okay so I went anyway… On the water at 7:30am swimmin’ the usual lures… first hookup at 7:45 – 2lber… 8:00am whammo in Half Moon at 23ft… Frankenfish…. Just over 9lbs…. tried to release – just floated belly up… first fish I’ve kept in a while… C&R’d 5 more for a total of 7 and headed back in by 11:30… The wind did finally blowing hard enough to call it a day… Not a complete loss… turns out ol’ frank put me in second place for the Derby… although I’m sure that won’t last long… marked several more large blips for someone else to hook….
i've been out there too...how do you mark your fish???

ol_dude
04-15-2007, 03:13 PM
.[/quote]
i've been out there too...how do you mark your fish???[/quote]

With a fishfinder...

Kid_Dynamite
04-15-2007, 05:31 PM
do you bring your own or do they have them there....i rented a boat one time but it didn't have a fish finder....what kind do you use...Thanks. :)

ol_dude
04-15-2007, 06:05 PM
I have a Humminbird portable… but almost any unit can be made portable… used to be that’s what I would do because there were so few portables available… But you are in luck Kid… There are several very good models out now for the price of a good rod & reel… a very valuable tool…

Kid_Dynamite
04-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks...i will look into getting one of those ;D

BMF
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
good job ol dude, and thanks for the report, now i have to go there monday only after the little ones. rumor has it that leader fish had full tail instead of round one.it probably will be disqualified.good job again ;)

tok
04-15-2007, 08:54 PM
Hey there old dude!

I've read alot of your posts. You seem to have the most accurate and up to date info on chabot.

I've fished this lake alot, and recently I've been fishing out of a yellow kayak.

I think I ran into you one day.

Thanks for the posts!

HeyNiceFish
04-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Went out there today too. Started at 6:30pm till got dark. Fished at Indian Cove. My buddy and I landed 2 each on Powerbait. The water was calm and wasnt cold, no wind, was suprised after few days of wind. :) Might go out there again next weekend.

Slapin_Bass
04-15-2007, 11:46 PM
hey setemNnetem do you bank fish Indian Cove alot?

HBFishin
04-16-2007, 06:05 AM
Nice job ol' dude! A 9lber!
What do you do with one of those when you need to keep it? yikes. That monster is not very good for eating.
I pulled a 9er out of there in October and I am glad it swam away happy or maybe not so happy, but it swam off.

It must have been a tough one to keep the boat straight.
But one thing with the wind, it changes your lure speed and presentation.
Sounds like it worked for you.

ol_dude
04-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Best of luck today BMF…. There are several more out there… and heck they haven’t even had the trophy plant yet…. The first place spot is in jeopardy when you are out there…. BTW… my fish was perfect…. Almost NO tail at all… heck it would easily added 4lbs and put me in first if it had one…. *;D

Thanks for the kind words tok… look forward to meeting up with you again…

HB – funny you should mention my obvious predicament….didn’t bring an ice chest cause I don’t keep 99% of them… not to mention I bring too much stuff to begin with… I had to get creative… couldn’t drag along the side of the boat – should say because it would have drained my batteries (would have made for a better fish story)…. Truth is dragging them in the water makes them taste even worse… Left in my net and kept it covered… *The wind didn’t pick up until around 10:00…but you are very right about trolling speeds in the wind… I caught this one on a slow troll with a much smaller tighter action lure because of the rain Saturday… IMHO - fish tend to be lethargic here until it warms-up… I actually seen the fish on the finder and made adjustments… believe me I rarely hook ‘um like this (again, should have used more fishermen’s creative license)… *;D

setemNnetem
04-16-2007, 03:49 PM
yea i do bank fish indian cove a lot.

Slapin_Bass
04-16-2007, 03:53 PM
Do you have that fishing chair from wal-mart? If thats you I've seen you out there many times...If not my bad for asking so many questions lol...

setemNnetem
04-16-2007, 04:16 PM
nope thats not me i usually dont bring a chair. lol its arite dont worry bout it. ;)

Slapin_Bass
04-16-2007, 04:56 PM
Ok man well see ya around the lake some time....Im usually wearing an all black white sox hat ( Cant get the A's hats dirty)....If you see me give me a yell...Good luck out there

HBFishin
04-16-2007, 05:53 PM
BTW… my fish was perfect…. Almost NO tail at all…

I think all the big ones there are like that there!!
They look like monsters for sure. ;D

Those batteries they give you are not all that great, you would have done them in for sure. I'm surprised you made it as is with the wind.
You have a good tale without the fisherman's liberties, but hey, maybe it will be a 9.5lber to the next guy you tell it to. ;) just kidding.

That is a good one, ol dude. You make me laugh, it must have been good to watch.
Yeah the wind is always a double edged sword. It blows you around and makes waves, but your lure has got to be all over the place down there and I have got some good fish in windy conditions... when I can bear it.

I have not been in a while now since other lakes are opening up. Need to make it back, it's lots closer. But no browns or cutts, just bows and monsters!