PDA

View Full Version : Working a lure.

rkingofspades
04-12-2007, 01:19 PM
I go out to the lakes and fish alot. I was'nt tought to fish by anybody but I love to fish with lures. I do pretty good with them but I was wondering mabe if I did it the right way or the best way I should say mabe I could be alot more successful. So if somebody could give me a couple of tips on the best way to work some of these lures I like to use. Roostertail,super duper, and a Z-ray that would be great.

Fishing_Fanatic
04-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Kingofspades,

You don't say whether you have a boat or not... or just cast the lures from shore....

It would help a little to know whether you have a boat or not.. if you troll there are a lot of different ways to enhance the success of your trolling.

Also, using scents on the lure can help get more strikes. I use several of the different Pro-cure scents..

Also, which lakes do you fish? For certain reasons, some lures (and colors) work better at some lakes than others... For instance, any lake that has natural populations of threadfin shad as baitfish, (Shasta, & Berryessa, Oroville, etc)... you will generally catch trout with a lure that mimics the look of the shad itself. Good lures are Excel (shad), Needlefish, & Humdingers.... best colors are often silver, silver-blue, grayish white, purple, ... things that look just like the shad do... These lures are particularly effective late in the year when the shad form bait balls and they get chased by all the feeding fish in the lake... you cast into the middle of one of these bait balls and you will very likely get bit by a trout or bass.

Good luck and tight lines!!!

rkingofspades
04-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Fishing Fanatic
I usually fish smaller sized lakes where the water is some what merky. I usally fish off shore or of a dock. Thanks for the advise.

twoelk48
04-13-2007, 02:54 AM
You might let us now where you live, I myself live in Merced and Im often looking for someone to share a day of fishing with. Watch the hitchhiker board its a great source for making new friends and learning new techniques whether fishing from shore or a boat. Im gettin more an more a believer in split rings and or cross latches when fishing lurers to give it more action, Knet

HBFishin
04-13-2007, 06:24 AM
How to fish a lure on lakes vs. streams can be fairly different, but in general certain lures are meant to be fished certain ways.
I have found that the manufactures website can be pretty helpful.

It seams others asking all these questions of you is not going to get you anywhere, what lake your fishing is not going to matter how you jig your spoon, in general.
You will learn from experience that lets say, browns are more shy and a more natural presentation is important.
But, that has more to do with what lure you choose and the color/ patern.

Roostertail/ spinnerbaits:
A pretty even retreive with small jerks of the rod tip 1"-3".
http://www.yakimabait.com/proreports/roostertail.html

Superduper/ Z-Ray/ Spoons:
These are swimbaits, so, you want to replicate the darting, swimming action of a baitfish or crawdad. Vary your speed, give some small jerks, etc.

Here is another resource.
http://www.activeangler.com/articles/freshwater/index.asp

Good luck.

jrj
04-13-2007, 06:25 AM
twoelk - What are crosslatches? Are you using split rings on the lure and tieing directly to them?

Fish_R_Us
04-16-2007, 11:00 AM
If you can identify what your fish primarily feeds on, and can find a lure that imitates the appearance and action of it's prey, then present it where and when your fish is most actively feeding, then you will be sucessful. In most of these lakes, it could possibly be a shiner nimmow, a juvenile sunfish, trout, or whatever native fish lives in the waters.

On the other hand, luck is a factor that is also part of the overall equasion. Some people are just plain lucky, no matter what they do or use. You can have a boatfull of anglers, all using the same bait or rig, but ther's gonna be one person who will outskunk the rest, that's just part of life.