PDA

View Full Version : Icehouse 4/7-4/8

HBFishin
04-10-2007, 11:35 AM
It was a great weekend to be out on the water in the mountians.
A bit of a threat of t-storms, but they held out and we did not get a drop.

Icehouse still has large areas of snow here and there, but in general all is clear. No ice in the lake.
Water had a bit of debris, but that is to be expected with all the run off.

Water temp in the mid to upper 40's. Fish mainly holding on the bottom until you get back to the inlets or certain pockets.

Action is still slow.
Fished morning and evening on Sat and Sun morning. My buddy got 7 and 4 for me. All browns except one bow each. All pretty small, but we each got a nice one. All C&R. ;)

We both were using gold dodgers with a wolly bugger. Different dodgers, different wolley buggers. But both the same colors, just varietions made by different companies.
Until Saturday night my friend had 5 to my 1.
I knew they were liking the dodger as I had several hits and even got one by the tail!
But my friend had fish on and strikes the whole time.
Those fish were picky. *:-?

Sunday I got a couple using flasher with worm and this is where the tides turned. Dodger bugger was not wroking at all. So, we switched to flashers.
My buddy had a different set of flashers than I and worm.
We both had gold flashers, different patern. We both were using beeds with the worm, but different collors. He got nothing, I was hooking up each time we got over a certain hole until the mystery tree in 35 feet of water stole my rig. :'(

Just goes to show that you can have nearly the same rig as someone else and have it not produce.

Will try again in a few weeks, weather depending. Any snow or bad weather will continue to slow the bite and with snow in the forcast for this Wed-Thrs I think it will stay slow.

Moon rise is real late, around 4am right now, and real bright which might not help the bite either.

n2trout
04-10-2007, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the recent and detailed report. ;) Glad to hear you fellas left the skunk at home. ;D Congrats ! :)

GW_Extreme
04-10-2007, 03:27 PM
Did you stay over night there?

tortuga
04-10-2007, 04:23 PM
There is a pretty good story about Icehouse in "Western Outdoors" magazine this month. I guess they are working a deal to increase the stocking.
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

HBFishin
04-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Did you stay over night there?

Yes. Stayed at the campground there at Icehouse.
There are only two campgrounds open right now.
Both first come, first serve.
By Sat most all spots were taken.

HBFishin
04-10-2007, 04:26 PM
There is a pretty good story about Icehouse in "Western Outdoors" magazine this month. *I guess they are working a deal to increase the stocking. *
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing1.gif]

Really? Well, that is good and bad.
Don't want to see that place go the way of Collins. Lots of fish, but so crowded that it takes away from the other reason for being there - relaxation.

tortuga
04-10-2007, 07:03 PM
Yeah, it was part of a multi page spread about Eastern Sierra trout fishing. They didn't rate it as high as a bunch of other waters so maybe it won't draw the big crowds?
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

highlands
04-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Thanks fro the great report.

anglinfool
04-11-2007, 11:47 AM
There already is a deal in place to increase stocking extensively in all Crystal Basin reservoirs. There's an article somewhere on the sniffer.