PDA

View Full Version : Holdover?

fisherchick
04-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Hi all - I read these boards constantly and have tried to answer my question through searches, but need your guys' expert advice. *Spent a 4 days this weekend at one of our favorite fishing spots (McSwain). *The lake is small and is 100% plants. *We have never caught nor seen anything but bows caught there (well, excluding a 6 inch channel cat and a couple of sucker fish...). *I caught what I thought to be just a normal plant, but upon cleaning and further inspection, I think it may be a holdover...meat was pinkish orange, not white/gray like usual...tail has pointed tips, not heart shaped from hatchery canals. Coloring was typical, only maybe darker coloration on back and stripe was more peachy pink with almost a raised line to it. *Does this sound like characteristics of a holdover? I apologize for the elementary question. Your input is greatly appreciated and highly valued. Thanks! *

kidfish
04-09-2007, 04:28 PM
SOUNDS LIKE ;)

hunkfisher
04-09-2007, 07:21 PM
From what i hear sounds like you got a bonified holdover, i caught a few out at pardee last summer on powerbait, didnt think they would hit it but i guess they still love it either way that fish has been in the lake for a while, and like 1Hog_on said its near impossible to catch every single trout they put in there so some become native like holdovers. Nice fish though.

Brad "Hunkfisher"

[smiley=swimmingfish.gif]

Trout_Terminator
04-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Hi all - I read these boards constantly and have tried to answer my question through searches, but need your guys' expert advice. Spent a 4 days this weekend at one of our favorite fishing spots (McSwain). The lake is small and is 100% plants. We have never caught nor seen anything but bows caught there (well, excluding a 6 inch channel cat and a couple of sucker fish...). I caught what I thought to be just a normal plant, but upon cleaning and further inspection, I think it may be a holdover...meat was pinkish orange, not white/gray like usual...tail has pointed tips, not heart shaped from hatchery canals. Coloring was typical, only maybe darker coloration on back and stripe was more peachy pink with almost a raised line to it. Does this sound like characteristics of a holdover? I apologize for the elementary question. Your input is greatly appreciated and highly valued. Thanks!

pink and reddish meat means that it has been eating crustaceans. White means that it has been eating other fish usually. And it is usually a hold over or a wild if it doesn't have the rounded tails, if it is a pointy tail, with the adipose fin, then it is wild, if the adipose fin is cut off, it is a hold over ;) . And don't worry about asking the question, its better to ask then never know ;)

-TT

JMat
04-09-2007, 07:27 PM
Sounds like a holdover to me, could've been planted early last season or before otherwise the tails still semm to be a little rounded.

JMat

Gill Collector
04-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Now that it's a poll ;D My vote is it's a holdover.......way to go! :D

fishpeddler1
04-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi all - I read these boards constantly and have tried to answer my question through searches, but need your guys' expert advice. *Spent a 4 days this weekend at one of our favorite fishing spots (McSwain). *The lake is small and is 100% plants. *We have never caught nor seen anything but bows caught there (well, excluding a 6 inch channel cat and a couple of sucker fish...). *I caught what I thought to be just a normal plant, but upon cleaning and further inspection, I think it may be a holdover...meat was pinkish orange, not white/gray like usual...tail has pointed tips, not heart shaped from hatchery canals. Coloring was typical, only maybe darker coloration on back and stripe was more peachy pink with almost a raised line to it. *Does this sound like characteristics of a holdover? I apologize for the elementary question. Your input is greatly appreciated and highly valued. Thanks! *

pink and reddish meat means that it has been eating crustaceans. White means that it has been eating other fish usually. And it is usually a hold over or a wild if it doesn't have the rounded tails, if it is a pointy tail, with the adipose fin, then it is wild, if the adipose fin is cut off, it is a hold over *;) . And don't worry about asking the question, its better to ask then never know *;)

-TT
Hey T.T. I didn't think that they cut the adipose fin off of planted trout... just the steelhead.just a thought. Fishpeddler
ps. sorry for the hijack :)

fisherchick
04-10-2007, 08:19 AM
Thanks for confirming that guys. Now I am gooing to pull him out of the freezer and check the adipose fin! ;D

1HogOn - We have been fishing McSwain for 2 years now and have never seen (or heard) of anything but plants, small cats, and suckerfish come out of there. Although McClure (the upper lake) has all of the fish you mentioned, I am not so sure they are in McSwain. Have you personally caught anything but bows there? Let me know if you have...

Thanks again all.

anglinfool
04-10-2007, 11:13 AM
Fishpeddler: you are correct on the clipping of adipose fins. :D