PDA

View Full Version : Powerbait - OK but which one?

stockdr
03-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Have been fishing at a local reservoir lately and asking the folks that are catching fish, "Hey what are you using?"

Also been reading local reports on trout fishing and they almost all suggest the same bait.

They all say POWERBAIT!

Well if you go to BPS and ask for powerbait you get two pages of stuff from play dough type stuff to eggs to plastic lures, et al. My problem is which powerbait are they using?

Got any ideas to help me out? *

bretmoua
03-29-2007, 03:05 PM
You can buy powerbait from almost any fishing store. It seems like WalMart always sells it for a few cents less LOL. I particularly like using the rainbow color one. But any color would work just as well. Hope that helps.

Old_School
03-29-2007, 03:20 PM
If you are still bank fishing you have three main Powerbait options for trout:
Eggs, nuggets, and the standard dough. Nuggets and the dough are the same, you just get less product if you buy the nuggets in my opinion. The eggs are like rubber. I second the rainbow color, but more specifically the one with green, yellow, and orange tones. All types will work, but some seem to work better in different situations. Thats where you come in. Trial and error. One word of wisdom, after baiting your hook make sure the hook and bait floats. I typically use just enough bait to float the hook (#10 or 8 eagleclaw egg hooks my fav). Some of my friends believe in the bigger is better theory. You can decide for yourself.
Best of luck! ;)

catsask_II
03-29-2007, 03:53 PM
just a sidenote but if a long day fishing produces no results the trout bait in the red color tastes fairly tolerable. ( DONT ASK HOW MANY ROLLING ROCKS IT TOOK TO FIND THAT OUT)

tortuga
03-29-2007, 04:06 PM
I usually carry chartuese, pink, and one other color just in case. When I'm night fishing with the stuff (we are talking about the dough) I have a tupperware container with about a million jars with every color I can find. I just figure you might as well increase your odds a little? The balls work really well but like he said you seem to get less for your money. One little tip, don't work it too much. I'm convinced it flots better the less you mess with it and you always want it to float!
Welcome to the boards, this is a great place to learn about fishing from a bunch of guys that devote a bunch of their time and money to the sport. And I mean a bunch of it!!!
Good luck,
Tortuga
[smiley=fishing5.gif]

Mr_Ed
03-29-2007, 04:45 PM
There is regular, double scent, "super duper", nuggets............

Thats just a start. ::)

Now there are a "zillion colors" to deal with !! :o :o :'( :'(

They all work, just make sure that they have a "silver seal" on the top
of the jar.

Some of the K-Mart jars are old stuff w/o the seal and the bait is hard
and not worth getting !!

If there are jars w/o the seal, push on the bait,if it is not soft, don't buy it!!

If you don't have at least six colors, your not fishing !!

Later Ed

scfisher831
03-29-2007, 05:04 PM
I always have two jars each of chartuse (green glitter) and rainbow glitter.These are my go to baits.Yellow power eggs have been working for me also.I will have a jar of yellow glitter,orange glitter,white glitter,captin america,red glitter power bait and i always have a package of pink power worms.Very effective fished on a small lead head jig under a slip bobber!!!! [smiley=fishing1.gif]Never hurts to have to many power baits,as you never know what the fish want to bite.

tortuga
03-29-2007, 05:36 PM
I've even been known to squirt some garlic scent on it and caught Rainbows...or put some on a hook with a worm an watch out!!
Tortuga

Mr_Ed
03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Hay, wait a minute,you guys !!

I thought a bobber was for panfish ?? ;D ;D ;D

freon
03-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Stockdr, try white, green and orange, double double if you can find it, pretty rare though, heres a link http://www.finksbaitandtackle.com/servlet/the-132/Berkley%2C-Double%2C-Double%2C-Floating%2C/Detail

eggs are good if you can get them to hit or putting them ahead of the hook and before the power bait :D
Hope this helps.

BrownMeat
03-29-2007, 07:52 PM
i strictly use chartreuse- (light/neon green)

I have yet to get bites of of the eggs...

LordRooster
03-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I've never had any luck with powerbati until I moved down from Montana. Sherbert and Rainbow work best for trought. I've used the eggs, worms and the dough. I've had nothing off the worms and eggs just the dough.

Mr_Ed
03-29-2007, 08:37 PM
I got a "BIG JAR" of double doulbe,on sale! ;D

Thought I had the world by the tail....... ;)

Guess what? :-/

It sank, instead of floating!! :'(

Buyers, beware. >:(

garrett_s
03-30-2007, 05:51 AM
my favorite colors are blue and chartruese. i always catch a lot of fish on those colors

freon
03-30-2007, 06:23 AM
Ed, I always troll with it, but the extra scent seems to make all the difference. If I was on the bank, I think I would be inclinded to put some eggs up the line to make it float and still use the double as it has far out performed all the others ;)
Never knew it sank though, guess using it with bobbers would work then ;D
I have had a lot of luck with just the eggs too though, but the more you scent up the water, the more fish you will get.

hlty34
03-30-2007, 08:17 AM
go with 2 white power eggs and 1 chartruese (sp?). If that's not working go with a rainbow dough (red/white/blue). IF THAT DOESN'T work there aren't any fish in the lake! LOL ;D :D

MSgt
03-30-2007, 08:48 AM
We mostly use the rainbow color (floating powerbait)

waterdog
03-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Heres the deal - it probably doesnt matter what type or brand you use. Most of the trout you catch at the lakes and res are planters from hatcherys and they haven't figured out what feeding is all about. They are use to free easy meals of hatchery food - they do not have to hunt for it or be selective. Some of the planters never establish feeding patterns that will sustain them and they starve. The scent is what attracks them not so much the type of bait. Some days different bait scents work better than others. Lately I rarely bait fish but what I do when I do use power bait or something similar is use different pro-cure scents on the baits, it just increases the amount of scent in the water and I think increases the chances of attracting a trout.
Waterdog :)

SOUTH_BAY_FISHER
03-30-2007, 09:46 AM
You ever wonder why your wife need so many god dam colors and flavor of lip gloss. Or some many pairs of shoes, bottles of nail polish. Ok i think that this is why we need every color of power bait on the face of the planet when in all actuality one color and a bottle of pro cure will be just fine. Yeah i think i've caught fish on almost ever color i like green cause for some reason i think it has magical powers and man i mean to tell you when the gliter green came out (and it was on sale) yeah i picked some of that up too.

The thing is as many have stated most fish that we fish for with power bait are hatchery fish and have no feeding pattern established the feed when hungry and thier is food. So but it out there put some sent and crack open a beer and wait for that tap tap and hey you got one from your budy.
-SBF