PDA

View Full Version : Los Vaqueros 3/24 report & pics

bobcatken
03-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Cliff Notes version of report:
Had a great day at Los Vaqueros. *Caught 4 fish at the South Cove. *I even got bitten by a snake. *:D

Very long, verbose version of report with pics:
Because 5000 lbs. of trout were planted on 3/17, I have been looking forward to fishing at Los Vaqueros all week. *

I woke up late because I set the alarm clock for 4:40 p.m. *Fortunately, my body’s internal alarm clock woke me up at 5:00 a.m. I arrived at the entrance to the park at 6:45. *About a dozen cars were already in line! * I guess word got out about last week’s plant.

At the South Cove parking lot, it was somewhat amusing to see people hurrying out of their cars and rushing to the shoreline with their gear to claim a good fishing spot. *It got crowded fast though. *

Here’s a pic I took of the South Cove shoreline about 9 am. *Would you believe even more people entered this area later in the morning? *:o

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3853/img7980cropuw6.jpg

Today’s weather was great. *Sunny with little wind. *The windmills worked all day but the wind didn’t pick up until about 1:30 or 2.

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/1928/img7981croplg4.jpg

Despite everyone’s high expectations, the fishing was slow. *All day I only saw a total of maybe 10-12 fish caught at the South Cove area. *Many people left without fish. *:(

At about 8:45, I caught one fish that really made my day. ;D *My hanging bobber/bite indicator was hanging down between the first and second guides when Wham! it shot straight up and bounced off the line. *I grabbed the pole and could feel the fish was definitely on. *It jumped out of the water and I got excited. *I could tell it was a pretty decent-sized fish. *It jumped several times and attracted a small crowd of onlookers. *A group of boy scouts and their parents watched as I played this fish and pretended to calmly act like I bring in fish of this size all the time. * When the fish came to the surface and people could see its large body, I heard the loudest spontaneous “oohing” and “aahing”. * As it swam at the surface, one boy declared it was a shark! *I tried to net the fish smoothly but it was too big for my little net. *I finally grabbed it by the gill plate and held my fish. *Weighed 5 ½ pounds. *Not my personal best but in my top 3. *Also stroked my ego having a crowd of kids cheer me on… *This fish was my first memorable catch of the day!

I did catch 3 more fish today (two 1.5 lbs, one 2 lber). *All were caught on white power eggs or a combo of power eggs and half an inflated nightcrawler. *The fish were caught 15-30 feet from the shoreline. *

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/6812/img8005croplf8.jpg

For my last one I let a little 5 year old boy reel the fish in and keep it. *As I was leaving for the day, he walked up to me, thanked me for the fish again, and gave me his newly discovered “treasure” - a tiny clam shell he had found on the shoreline. * What a sweet kid!

For my 2nd memorable catch of the day, I saw a snake sunbathing just outside a ground squirrel burrow over by the South Cove’s “new” porta-potty. *I love catching snakes. *I hesitated for a moment as I determined whether it was venomous or not. * By the time I figured out it was just a harmless gopher snake, it had already retreated back into the hole. *I came back ten minutes later and could pull him easily of the hole. *It was a gorgeous 4 ft+ adult. *He did bite me once on my forearm but calmed down pretty quickly. *First time I’ve ever been bit by this normally docile species… *After a few pics, it was released back into the burrow.

Here’s a pic of this awesome snake. *The shoes belong to my new 5 year old friend. *

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9040/img7989cropos1.jpg

Thanks for reading my long report. :P *I warned you this report was long...

atavuss
03-24-2007, 09:16 PM
great report bobcatken! FWIW, every wild gopher snake I have caught and or seen had attitude in spades and would not hesitate to bite in the least!

xcybertrek
03-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Way to go Ken ...

Awesome day for you and awesome footage!!!

5,000 lbs? WOW!!!

bobcatken
03-25-2007, 08:44 AM
Forgot to add in my report that I met some guys who were fishing near the Rock Wall. *They caught one trout and claimed that the fishing was also pretty slow over there. *They said one guy was catching a bunch of trout in a short time. *Maybe it was a Fishsniffer? ;) *At the marina I met a pair of guys who had been bass fishing from a boat. *They only caught 1 bass and 2 trout. I did see a fat 6 lb largemouth caught at the very end of the South Cove. Caught and released.

atavuss- I've seen gopher snakes with major attitude- huffing and puffing, tail rattling but never been bitten; good to meet another snake catching enthusiast. *btw, I keep pythons and sand boas

xcybertrek- I believe stocking 5000 lbs is becoming a new St. Patrick's Day tradition at Los Vaqueros. *I don't mind driving out there because I need all the help I can get *:)

fishguts
03-25-2007, 09:00 AM
Now that its warming up be real careful at that lake, its loaded with rattlers especially around the rocky areas.
Nice report by the way and wow thats one nice looking snake.

DazShooter
03-26-2007, 09:23 AM
Bobcatken-
Did the guys you talked to mention that the guy that caught the fish early was by himself and wearing camo? *;)

I went back Sunday for another 4 fish for 15#'s total. One 'Bow was 5.90 and another was 5.12# (in pic below). They are there, but they are very passive and you really need to have everything right for them to be interested in what you are offering. Lots of newbies walking away with nothing. I at least tried to help out an older guy and a guy with some kids. Hopefully they walked away with something and/or had a good time.

Sorry the pic quality is bad.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2710/mvc015fav9.jpg

bobcatken
03-26-2007, 08:03 PM
DazShooter- those are some nice fish. *Makes me want to go back this week and try again. *You're right about the newbies walking away empty-handed. *It was disappointing to know there were good-sized fish out there but they weren't biting. *A group of San Jose boy scouts were fishing next to me. *Only two of them caught fish-a 2 lber and 3 lber. *I wish each of the boys could have gone home with at least one fish and a good fish story. *

camotracker
03-27-2007, 07:57 AM
nice report bobcatken. looks like you seen some pretty good action.

DazShooter
03-27-2007, 09:23 AM
Bobcatken- While the newly stocked fish will bite at anything after a plant, I've found that the larger fish hold true to form and only will bite according to the solunar tables. The days that are rated "excellent" on the table AND are right after a plant, those days are out of sight! :)

bobcatken
03-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Solunar tables, eh? Good info to know. I'll have to look into that. thanks.