PDA

View Full Version : Cal Dawn Friday

realdeal
11-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Went on the crab rockfish combo trip on the Cal Dawn today, not good at all. Left late then after refueling the engine busted and we went back. This is my third time on the Cal Dawn, and this is the second time that we havent even made it out of the bay. First time was a faulty bilge pump. The one time I made it out last year, I was very impressed with the captain and crew, but I will not be going back on that boat until I hear of a major overhaul. Another guy near me went out last friday, and the boat broke down then too! Not worth the drive from san jose to berkeley if its a crap shoot whether or not the boat is even seaworthy :-/

fuenstock
11-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Thats to bad they had trouble. Hope they gave a refund!

ken_fishnfool
11-14-2008, 06:29 PM
Hope you got a refund.
Looking at the winds, you might call yourself a little lucky that you didn't make it out...

bobbyblank
11-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Went on the crab rockfish combo trip on the Cal Dawn today, not good at all. Left late then after refueling the engine busted and we went back. This is my third time on the Cal Dawn, and this is the second time that we havent even made it out of the bay. First time was a faulty bilge pump. The one time I made it out last year, I was very impressed with the captain and crew, but I will not be going back on that boat until I hear of a major overhaul. Another guy near me went out last friday, and the boat broke down then too! Not worth the drive from san jose to berkeley if its a crap shoot whether or not the boat is even seaworthy :-/

Whats up. I was on the boat also, i was the guy below deck for about and hour or so working on the motor so we could get back fishing. I replaced a number of belts and gaskets and had it running for about 20 minutes but it ran to hot for to long and the manifold warped at the turbo. Nothing i could fix while on water. I just came to fish as well, never saw myself working on a comercial fishing boat lol, but i wanted to get back on the water as well lol. I have fished the Cal Dawn a few times and my friend who i was with deckhands on that boat and another. Very good crew as you said, chris the capt. *tried very hard to get everyone another boat to go out on, but most of the boats in berkley were out or being worked on. I ended up going out on the on one of the deckhands' personal boats with a few other friends. When we got back from the farallons at about 5:00, they were still working on the boat. They are getting a full overhaul on both motors, but they are waiting until after crab season, so it wont be to long. Dont loose faith, good people and a good boat. Hope to see you out there again, i just hope i dont end up below deck again lol!

Mackattack
11-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Been out on the Cal.Dawn and it is a good crew. Motor problems can kill a good trip for all. At 90$ a person times 30 its a good day plus tip for the fillet guys on the way in but if you cant get out the gate to pick up crab pots and rock cod limits for all then oopps no tip for the crab boiller at the dock when you get back either. I hope the next trip is better for all.
Mackattack

slick88
11-15-2008, 11:20 AM
from usafishing.com:

Out of Berkeley, the Cal Dawn is down for a couple of days as they threw a rod or something along those lines. James is hoping to have repairs made in time to resume trips by Sunday or Monday but how big of a repair is unknown at this time. It's an untimely breakdown as they are scheduled to hit the waves (drydock) and re-power the Cal Dawn starting in December.