PDA

View Full Version : Shasta  March 20th

Troutdraggin
03-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Fished Shasta yesterday on the McCloud arm. Tied in with Budman and boated up channel together. It was a light rain early in the am with clouds hanging low on the mountains along the lake. A very beautiful view of the lake and mountains with very few others fishing in the area. We caught our limits of trout with most fish taken between 25-35 feet on down riggers. One nice Brown at about 4 lbs was taken on the leadcore near the surface. Most fish were small in the 15 inch range but we boated 3 nice fish (3-4 lbs) and didn't get in several other nice fish (the ones where the pole stays down and the fish don't want to surface). Had fun visiting with Bud and watching him land a few fish also, exchanging notes on the radio. The water was about 54-55% on the surface, clear and calm. It was a great day to spend on the lake. There's still a lot of debris floating around 1/2 submerged though. A person still has to use a lot of caution boating around the lake.
:o

Baetis
03-21-2007, 10:41 AM
I might be heading up there in a couple of weeks ... mind sharing what lures you were using on the downriggers?

Thanks!

Baetis

Troutdraggin
03-21-2007, 10:52 AM
The combos of the day were nickle/green or blue humdingers, trout colored Apex and blue/green/purple kokanee killers with e-chips and sling blades in the orange copper or green chrome colors. But it seems to change day to day. Just have to keep changing until you find the right combo. Good luck..

fish_junky
03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Nice report Troutdraggin. It's always nice reading your reports especially on my favorite lake. :D

titelinez
03-21-2007, 12:44 PM
I've never seen a humdinger. What do they look like? Where do you buy them? Google yields nothing but fishing reports or completely unrelated info.

trouter
03-21-2007, 12:47 PM
Humdingers are made by Shasta Tackle:
http://www.shastatackle.com/webstore/category.cfm?Category=7&CFID=6075618&CFTOKEN=18333 62

You should be able to find them any any good tackle store.

titelinez
03-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Thank you vm.