PDA

View Full Version : Shadowcliffs 3/17

dirty3hirties
03-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Got to the gate at 6:10 AM....still dark. The good thing about this new daylight savings time is that the parks still open up at the same time they did in previous years but the sun's not up until 7:00. Plenty of time to set up my pontoon :)

I figured that I would start off toplinging my usual setup....grubs with mini colorado blades. I trolled for about 2 hours w/o a single strike. I started to think it was gonna be one of those days...SKUNKY!!! [smiley=foottap.gif] I wasn't marking any fish either. After 1 loop, I decided that I would change tactics and drift some nightcrawlers/powereggs. Luckily, I brought my flippers with me so I headed back to the car, shed the waders, and plopped on the flippers. It was about 10 right now and I headed to the swim beach side. I rigged a standard slip sinker set up on one rod and a water bobber rig on the other...both with a worm/poweregg combo. Instantly I get bites. WHOOOO-HOOOO!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif] The first fish came on the sliding sinker rig, then my water bobber one goes off! Nothing of size really, but now I knew I had found the right pattern. I popped open a Guinness to celebrate [smiley=party.gif] and set up another drift. The 2nd pass I landed another 2 fish. At about 1:30 I stopped having landed 8 fish....none of any size and I must have missed about 10 strikes. The bites were kinda soft. They would nibble at it...not really taking it. You would have to leave the bait out there for a bit, to make sure they really had it. Using worms was a catch 22 of sorts because I would get a lot of bites but I would have to constantly check the worm to make sure it was still floating or that it was still there. But it was worth it because I was definitely getting more action than the others in that area. Everyone I talked to was using PB. I've yet to see PB outfish worms.

Here's some stats:
Water temp: 60-63 degrees
Depth: 22-28 ft.

It ended up being a great day having wasted the first 2 hours or so. I'm sure it would have been an epic day if I had started off drifting instead.....but I'm not complaining. ;)

cpvince
03-17-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the report! It's nice to see worms are making a comeback. Worms used to work for me a LONG time ago, but recently..for whatever reason, the people with PB have been outfishing me. Nice job man..did you happen to see anybody bass fishing?

dirty3hirties
03-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Yeah....there were a lot of float tubes/pontoons by the swim area but I didn't see anyone land one. I was actually thinking about bass fishing as well. I'm sure that they would have been moving up into the shallows to spawn.

Vole
03-18-2007, 03:13 PM
Sounds like you had fun. It's good to hear a Bay Area lake producing. I normally go with a crawler/egg combo drifting. You never know what you'll catch.

xcybertrek
03-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Guiness and trout?

WOW!!!

That combo is better than power eggs and worms!!!

Good job and thanks for the report!

Danksta408
03-18-2007, 09:57 PM
Dirty3hirties: Was out there this afternoon there was 2 guys nailing the bass at the 3rd dock......Also saw about 10 GIANT carp sitting off the shores........Really slow considering the stocking they've been doin'......Saw only 1 guy with a trout on a stringer and the 2 guys catchin' bass and that's it!!

dirty3hirties
03-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Was out there this afternoon there was 2 guys nailing the bass at the 3rd dock

Yeah...the bass must be moving up to the beds to spawn. I was thinking about trying to get out there later on this week for some afternoon fishing. I figure they'd be easy to locate....getting them to bite is another story. haha.

johnnyowl
03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
I was up at the Cliff yesterday and can't understand why everyone is talking about a slow day. I dragged myself there at 6am with a wicked hangover.
My buddy had a pan size within the first 5 minutes of casting out using PB. Around 6:30am I had a very small knock on my rod. I waited and about 10 seconds later another small knock. I went for it and 20 minutes later had a 7lb rainbow in my arms. Pulled out another at 6 1/4lbs shortly after.
My buddy had caught his limit by 9:30am. I ended up with 4 by 11am, so after 5 hours 9 fish 2 over 6lbs and the one right at 7lb's. All on PB. Also saw a guy near me caught a 13" (I measured it for him) LM bass, he was using worms. No more than 15ft from the shore. I hear there are planting AGAIN this week.